Music DVD Poll Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V of "Peter Gabriel - Greatest Hits"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 - Poor Mix, Poor Picture, Poor Content

• Total voters
I have a very well-worn DTS-CD (i.e. audio only) rip of this! Its great! I need to get the real thing at last (unusually naughty of me, I normally buy everything and keep it legit!).. whoops! :eek:

I won one on fleaBay the other day (Like New, "played once") for a fiver the other day while no-one was looking/fussed! :eek: on its way via Postie Pat at the mo. (y)

Any one know whether there was ever a replacement disc service for the DTS issue. Since buying a Blu ray player I have discovered that my copy was one of the faulty ones. It was not an issue in my DVDA player.

Any one know whether there was ever a replacement disc service for the DTS issue. Since buying a Blu ray player I have discovered that my copy was one of the faulty ones. It was not an issue in my DVDA player.

I think there is nothing but faulty copies out there, at least to my knowledge. A shame really, but the Dolby Digital is good also, but DTS 96/24 it ain't

By the way - my guess is that this is AV-receiver dependant. Did you by any chance upgrade that as well as your player? I had no issues with the disc when I bought it to my old Sony receiver and Denon DVD-player, but got the problem when I upgraded to a new Denon receiver (keeping the player).

This disc was (one of the first) to utilize DTS 96/24 and it was not correctly manufactured for this. The DTS track plays fine (DTS core) in older equipment but not in any newer ones (maybe those including DTS 96/24...)

By the way - my guess is that this is AV-receiver dependant. Did you by any chance upgrade that as well as your player? I had no issues with the disc when I bought it to my old Sony receiver and Denon DVD-player, but got the problem when I upgraded to a new Denon receiver (keeping the player).

This disc was (one of the first) to utilize DTS 96/24 and it was not correctly manufactured for this. The DTS track plays fine (DTS core) in older equipment but not in any newer ones (maybe those including DTS 96/24...)

Separate systems all together the Blu ray player was a cheepo home cinema set up brought for a specific room.

Still ahve the DVDA player in another room. I only know because i ahev tried a few things on teh BR player that have been rumoured to be bad just to see whats what this so far has been the only one that I have found.

got a bad case of the DTS bug on my main setup (Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD, Yamaha RXV-2067) on this one. I only tried it streaming the DTS 96/24 via HDMI for the AVR to decode it, so I don't know if it happens if I let the player decode the DTS (I forgot to try it! whoops! :mad:@:) ...anyhoo, it was very noticeably lower in volume than the Dolby Dig. meh!

I don't think you can tell before buying. I got the faulty one myself. I think I read somewhere the British release was fixed...? Either way, if you ask me, downloading the fixed torrent doesn't get more legitimate than in this situation.

got a bad case of the DTS bug on my main setup (Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD, Yamaha RXV-2067) on this one. I only tried it streaming the DTS 96/24 via HDMI for the AVR to decode it, so I don't know if it happens if I let the player decode the DTS (I forgot to try it! whoops! :mad:@:) ...anyhoo, it was very noticeably lower in volume than the Dolby Dig. meh!

Unfortunately it does not get any better if you let the player do the decoding...

Any more news on where to find a corrected copy of this disc would be very welcome - thanks!!

Unfortunately it does not get any better if you let the player do the decoding...

Any more news on where to find a corrected copy of this disc would be very welcome - thanks!!

You could get it w/ the upcoming Live in Athens blu-ray; it's included as a bonus and hopefully will be corrected. Up for pre-order now on amazon.uk, due in Sept., nothing on US amazon yet.

Managed to get the stripey coloured version and it's sitting at home still in cellophane. When i'm back from Kenya, then Hong Kong I might have time to rip to PC.....

Actually, it might get better if you let the player do the decoding depending on the age of your player. I have an older DVD player that supports DTS but not DTS 96/24 (a Yamaha DVDa changer); it's hooked up via 5.1 analog as well as TOSlink/optical digital. Playing 'Play' via the analog connection (48/24 DTS) gives me normal volume, but when my DTS 96/24 compliant receiver does the decoding via digital the 'bug' kicks in and the DTS mix is virtually inaudible.

On the copy of 'Play' that Netflix sent me, it turned out, the bug was corrected and the 96/24 played back fine. Presumably the copy packed with the Athens concert will be fixed too.

Happy to report the "Play" dvd from the Live in Athens Blu ray is the corrected version. The DTS plays great on my Denon AVR. :banana:

Back