Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Let me be clear, this is all pure speculation, but I hope it'll get clarified tomorrow.
Toni Levin and Manu Katche interviews this year have pointed out very clearly that they had been recording with Peter. Yesterday Peter posted a pic of him in the studio, followed by a post suggesting to subscribe to his mail list, as some action was expected.
Today his mail suggested something like an announcement on the new moon (that's tomorrow)
And a few minutes ago, his Facebook profile picture has changed to something in vivid colours that seems to read I/O.
If his new album is really bound to be released soon (early 2023?), I can only but hope that it'll be in surround.
Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221107-215906~2.png
    Screenshot_20221107-215906~2.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 5
Let me be clear, this is all pure speculation, but I hope it'll get clarified tomorrow.
Toni Levin and Manu Katche interviews this year have pointed out very clearly that they had been recording with Peter. Yesterday Peter posted a pic of him in the studio, followed by a post suggesting to subscribe to his mail list, as some action was expected.
Today his mail suggested something like an announcement on the new moon (that's tomorrow)
And a few minutes ago, his Facebook profile picture has changed to something in vivid colours that seems to read I/O.
If his new album is really bound to be released soon (early 2023?), I can only but hope that it'll be in surround.
Fingers crossed!
The rumours have been building for a while and with Tony & Manu just about confirming the album, the announcement should be soon. Hopefully tour dates will come out as well, it's been a while.

Some more official news:
Peter Gabriel will tour across the UK & Europe next spring. The tour marks his first shows outside of North America since 2014’s Back to Front Tour celebrating the era-defining album So. Produced by Live Nation, the 22 shows in Europe will kick off in Krakow, Poland on 18 May 2023, with dates in Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and the UK before wrapping in Dublin, Ireland on 25 June 2023. The tour will then continue in North America in the late summer/fall with dates and ticket information to follow.

i/o The Tour will see Peter playing new material from his forthcoming album i/o, as well as delving into his wider catalogue of music, with hits, fan favourites and the unexpected. For the shows, Peter will be joined by regular band-mates Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché.

Full details on the i/o album will follow.
“It’s been a while and I am now surrounded by a whole lot of new songs and am excited to be taking them out on the road for a spin. Look forward to seeing you out there.”

Sigh, nowhere near me, but fingers' crossed for the US tour. The thought of a Peter / Manu collaboration is amazing! And yes, hopefully i/o will be available in surround.

Last edited:
No disrespect to Manu Katché but PG’s shows were sooo much better during the Jerry Marotta era.

The thunder of his drumming during “Biko” shook the arena - just incredible!

“UP” was fabulous in surround, fingers crossed that the album has a physical product surround release although I am not too hopeful given that the super deluxe of “SO” did not offer a surround mix.

Friday, 6 January will see the release of the first new song from Peter Gabriel’s forthcoming album i/o. Written and produced by Peter, Panopticom was recorded at Real World Studios in Wiltshire and The Beehive in London. The track is accompanied by a cover image by the artist David Spriggs (above).

When you open up your preferred digital music platform tomorrow (or today, depending on where you are in the world!), the track will be there for your listening pleasure. We hope you like it.
The first song is based on an idea I have been working on to initiate the creation of an infinitely expandable accessible data globe: The Panopticom. We are beginning to connect a like-minded group of people who might be able to bring this to life, to allow the world to see itself better and understand more of what’s really going on.

Musically, Panopticom drives along powered by the engine-room of long-time collaborators Tony Levin, David Rhodes and Manu Katché, underpinned by haunting electronics from Brian Eno. Additional backing vocals come from Ríoghnach Connolly of The Breath. The lyric is, in part, inspired by the extraordinary work of three groups, Forensic Architecture, Bellingcat and the Gabriel co-founded pioneering human rights organisation WITNESS.

We’ll be back tomorrow with Part Two, where you’ll find out a bit more about Panopticom and the plans for future releases of new songs, but suffice to say the full moon is going to continue to be at the centre of things...

Happy listening and see you tomorrow.

Perhaps Eno will point Gabriel in the direction of SDE for a bluray release... (Perhaps he already has...) This is just wishful thinking on my part but it does seem a reasonable fit. I'm sure Paul @ SDE will let us know if there is anything he can say! (With big emphasis on 'if'.)

Possible release dates if Paul does manage to add it to the 2023 calendar

February 5, 2023 (Full Snow Moon)
March 7, 2023 (Full Worm Moon)
April 6, 2023 (Full Pink Moon)
May 5, 2023 (Full Flower Moon)
June 3, 2023 (Full Strawberry Moon)
July 3, 2023 (Full Buck Moon)
August 1, 2023 (Full Sturgeon Moon)
August 30, 2023 (Full Blue Moon)
September 29, 2023 (Full Harvest Moon)
October 28, 2023 (Full Hunter’s Moon)
November 27, 2023 (Full Beaver Moon)
December 26, 2023 (Full Cold Moon)

Last edited:
Possible release schedule if Paul does manage to add it to the 2023 calendar

February 5, 2023 (Full Snow Moon)
March 7, 2023 (Full Worm Moon)
April 6, 2023 (Full Pink Moon)
May 5, 2023 (Full Flower Moon)
June 3, 2023 (Full Strawberry Moon)
July 3, 2023 (Full Buck Moon)
August 1, 2023 (Full Sturgeon Moon)
August 30, 2023 (Full Blue Moon)
September 29, 2023 (Full Harvest Moon)
October 28, 2023 (Full Hunter’s Moon)
November 27, 2023 (Full Beaver Moon)
December 26, 2023 (Full Cold Moon)

Yeah...the "full moon" release schedule ("The song has been released on the first full moon of 2023 and the lunar phases will guide the release plan in 2023, with a new song revealed each full moon!") is, as one of the commenters at SDE put it, like water torture. I'm ready for the full-album flood. Still, we've waited 20 years; what's a few more months?
https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/new-song-from-peter-gabriel/

An immersive Dolby Atmos version of Panopticom has been released today. This is the 'In-Side Mix'.

The In-Side mix has been created by Hans-Martin Buff in the Red Room at Real World Studios & his own studio Aural Majority Pad, Boofland.

Much like with the Bright and Dark-Side mixes, all the tracks from i/o will get the In-Side treatment too, and can be heard on Apple Music and Amazon.

Buff is doing these immersive mixes for Atmos and doing a wonderful job. The way people consume sound, songs and music now is 60-70% through headphones so that gives us, as creators, a chance – especially with these headphones that allow you some kind of three-dimensional illusion – of putting people right inside the three-dimensional space. What’s amazing about that is with stereo you’ve got some senses of up and down but how do you fill that space across? In this three-dimensional world it’s like you’re taking off in a balloon and you can suddenly see all around and you can position things very carefully and make events happen in space. A spatial composition. I think Buff has a great attitude to all that, so I’m learning, and I hope some of you get a chance to check these mixes out.

Buff and Peter have used the technology specifically as a creative tool, as Buff explains further:

3D music, as presented in Dolby Atmos, is SO much more than moving sounds all over the place. It’s not just a new way of mixing, it’s a way of making music that’s bigger and more rewarding than anything that came before. Peter gets it. To him, stereo and 3D versions don’t have to match, they just “both have to be great.” and to me, that is a creative dream come true. I get to bring anything to the table I can possibly imagine in order to fill Real World Studios’ Red Room with music. I get to streamline, I get to focus, I get to embellish, and I get to rough up the sounds that make up Peter’s arrangements. I get to emphasise, to hide, and I even get to record specifically for the immersive Peter Gabriel, and in the end, Peter will be in the room to be the judge of what’s best for his new songs. “When people want to know what great Atmos can be, I want them to listen to this,” he says. I think we’re well on our way.

Both the Apple Music and Amazon platforms require us to link a stereo version, with the same name, to all Atmos audio mixes, allowing listeners to swap between the two.

This has provided a bit of a challenge for us because our Atmos audio In-Side Mix has no stereo equivalent, yet we're obliged to have one. In order to release the Atmos mix - and the eagled-eared amongst you might have worked this out - we have used the Dark-Side Mix as the linked stereo version.

So, if you listen to the In-Side Mix in Atmos you get the new approach from Buff and Peter, but if you listen in stereo you will hear Tchad Blake’s Dark-Side Mix under another name. It's a bit confusing, we know, but it’s our best work-around for now..

Regardless of that, we hope you enjoy this 3D listening experience.

Back