Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised they called this the In-Side Mix. particularly after this comment in the the release note.

Both the Apple Music and Amazon platforms require us to link a stereo version, with the same name, to all Atmos audio mixes, allowing listeners to swap between the two.​

This has provided a bit of a challenge for us because our Atmos audio In-Side Mix has no stereo equivalent, yet we're obliged to have one. In order to release the Atmos mix - and the eagled-eared amongst you might have worked this out - we have used the Dark-Side Mix as the linked stereo version.​

They could have released a binaural mix called In-Side Mix, that plays on stereo equipment and the Atmos could be the Out-Side Mix playable on surround capable equipment.

An immersive Dolby Atmos version of Panopticom has been released today. This is the 'In-Side Mix'.

The In-Side mix has been created by Hans-Martin Buff in the Red Room at Real World Studios & his own studio Aural Majority Pad, Boofland.

Much like with the Bright and Dark-Side mixes, all the tracks from i/o will get the In-Side treatment too, and can be heard on Apple Music and Amazon.

Buff is doing these immersive mixes for Atmos and doing a wonderful job. The way people consume sound, songs and music now is 60-70% through headphones so that gives us, as creators, a chance – especially with these headphones that allow you some kind of three-dimensional illusion – of putting people right inside the three-dimensional space. What’s amazing about that is with stereo you’ve got some senses of up and down but how do you fill that space across? In this three-dimensional world it’s like you’re taking off in a balloon and you can suddenly see all around and you can position things very carefully and make events happen in space. A spatial composition. I think Buff has a great attitude to all that, so I’m learning, and I hope some of you get a chance to check these mixes out.

Buff and Peter have used the technology specifically as a creative tool, as Buff explains further:

3D music, as presented in Dolby Atmos, is SO much more than moving sounds all over the place. It’s not just a new way of mixing, it’s a way of making music that’s bigger and more rewarding than anything that came before. Peter gets it. To him, stereo and 3D versions don’t have to match, they just “both have to be great.” and to me, that is a creative dream come true. I get to bring anything to the table I can possibly imagine in order to fill Real World Studios’ Red Room with music. I get to streamline, I get to focus, I get to embellish, and I get to rough up the sounds that make up Peter’s arrangements. I get to emphasise, to hide, and I even get to record specifically for the immersive Peter Gabriel, and in the end, Peter will be in the room to be the judge of what’s best for his new songs. “When people want to know what great Atmos can be, I want them to listen to this,” he says. I think we’re well on our way.

Both the Apple Music and Amazon platforms require us to link a stereo version, with the same name, to all Atmos audio mixes, allowing listeners to swap between the two.

This has provided a bit of a challenge for us because our Atmos audio In-Side Mix has no stereo equivalent, yet we're obliged to have one. In order to release the Atmos mix - and the eagled-eared amongst you might have worked this out - we have used the Dark-Side Mix as the linked stereo version.

So, if you listen to the In-Side Mix in Atmos you get the new approach from Buff and Peter, but if you listen in stereo you will hear Tchad Blake’s Dark-Side Mix under another name. It's a bit confusing, we know, but it’s our best work-around for now..

Regardless of that, we hope you enjoy this 3D listening experience.
did you say there will be a physical Atmos release ?🤞

Last edited:
Finally, Atmos mix! I won't be able to listen until nighttime

This mix is so good and the song is really growing on me. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. The next full moon is a week away so we should be hearing another song then. Although it may take a few more weeks to hear the atmos mix.

Peter now appears to own his entire catalog so hopefully he continues to be inspired to create more surround mixes.

We can only hope that that's what the "for now . . ." means. (Maybe a Blu-Ray including all 3 mixes of the album--Dark, Bright, and "In"?)

In any case, it's great to hear that PG is all-in on Atmos.
https://petergabriel.com/news/new-atmos-mix-puts-you-in-side-the-music/https://headlinermagazine.net/peter-gabriels-real-world-studios-opens-red-room-with-dolby-atmos.html
It's interesting to read the announcement hype, and how it is pitched at headphone use, which obviously most consumers have. I don't know much about headphone dolby atmos, but as there are only two speakers, I'm assuming it's some kind of illusional replication of the listening experience of dolby atmos in an actual room.

It's interesting to read the announcement hype, and how it is pitched at headphone use, which obviously most consumers have. I don't know much about headphone dolby atmos, but as there are only two speakers, I'm assuming it's some kind of illusional replication of the listening experience of dolby atmos in an actual room.
Where Apple is concerned, it's sort of a proprietary development of "binaural" principles, I think. A couple of relevant sources/threads:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...atmos-mix-will-sound-different-on-apple-musichttps://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...audio-in-ios-16-adding-hrtf-to-airpods.32578/
I think @~dave~~wave~ 's "Strictly Headphone" thread, originally focused on Sony 360 RA, eventually sprawled out to encompass Apple Spatial for Headphones, too:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...exclusive-ra360-spatial-streams-amazon.32243/

Where Apple is concerned, it's sort of a proprietary development of "binaural" principles, I think. A couple of relevant sources/threads:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...atmos-mix-will-sound-different-on-apple-musichttps://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...audio-in-ios-16-adding-hrtf-to-airpods.32578/
I think @~dave~~wave~ 's "Strictly Headphone" thread, originally focused on Sony 360 RA, eventually sprawled out to encompass Apple Spatial for Headphones, too:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...exclusive-ra360-spatial-streams-amazon.32243/
Thanks!

I recently gave in and let the Amazon Prime trial continue (I've accidently subscribed so many times!). I also see from the hype that dolby atmos music is available in 'Amazon Music', which is free for prime members.

Do you (or anyone), know if streaming dolby atmos (e.g. from Amazon) folds down to 5.1 (in the same way it does from blu-rays) for surround plebs like me?

Last edited:
Thanks!

I recently gave in and let the Amazon Prime trial continue (I've accidently subscribed so many times!). I also see from the hype that dolby atmos music is available in 'Amazon Music', which is free for prime members.

Do you (or anyone), know if streaming dolby atmos (e.g. from Amazon) folds down to 5.1 (in the same way it does from blu-rays) for surround plebs like me?
AFAIK spatial audio from Amazon is still only available over headphones (or an Amazon "smart speaker") via a smartphone. No way to hear it through an AVR.

I don't use Amazon, but the Dolby Atmos streams on Apple Music downmix to 5.1 without any problems. There are occasionally some (like Cheap Trick's In Color) that don't translate to 5.1 very well. But for the most part I've been enjoying these mixes in 5.1. There are several (Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, for example) that sound just great.

An immersive Dolby Atmos version of Panopticom has been released today. This is the 'In-Side Mix'.

The In-Side mix has been created by Hans-Martin Buff in the Red Room at Real World Studios & his own studio Aural Majority Pad, Boofland.

Much like with the Bright and Dark-Side mixes, all the tracks from i/o will get the In-Side treatment too, and can be heard on Apple Music and Amazon.

Buff is doing these immersive mixes for Atmos and doing a wonderful job. The way people consume sound, songs and music now is 60-70% through headphones so that gives us, as creators, a chance – especially with these headphones that allow you some kind of three-dimensional illusion – of putting people right inside the three-dimensional space. What’s amazing about that is with stereo you’ve got some senses of up and down but how do you fill that space across? In this three-dimensional world it’s like you’re taking off in a balloon and you can suddenly see all around and you can position things very carefully and make events happen in space. A spatial composition. I think Buff has a great attitude to all that, so I’m learning, and I hope some of you get a chance to check these mixes out.

Buff and Peter have used the technology specifically as a creative tool, as Buff explains further:

3D music, as presented in Dolby Atmos, is SO much more than moving sounds all over the place. It’s not just a new way of mixing, it’s a way of making music that’s bigger and more rewarding than anything that came before. Peter gets it. To him, stereo and 3D versions don’t have to match, they just “both have to be great.” and to me, that is a creative dream come true. I get to bring anything to the table I can possibly imagine in order to fill Real World Studios’ Red Room with music. I get to streamline, I get to focus, I get to embellish, and I get to rough up the sounds that make up Peter’s arrangements. I get to emphasise, to hide, and I even get to record specifically for the immersive Peter Gabriel, and in the end, Peter will be in the room to be the judge of what’s best for his new songs. “When people want to know what great Atmos can be, I want them to listen to this,” he says. I think we’re well on our way.

Both the Apple Music and Amazon platforms require us to link a stereo version, with the same name, to all Atmos audio mixes, allowing listeners to swap between the two.

This has provided a bit of a challenge for us because our Atmos audio In-Side Mix has no stereo equivalent, yet we're obliged to have one. In order to release the Atmos mix - and the eagled-eared amongst you might have worked this out - we have used the Dark-Side Mix as the linked stereo version.

So, if you listen to the In-Side Mix in Atmos you get the new approach from Buff and Peter, but if you listen in stereo you will hear Tchad Blake’s Dark-Side Mix under another name. It's a bit confusing, we know, but it’s our best work-around for now..

Regardless of that, we hope you enjoy this 3D listening experience.

I love the approach of doing a specific "no rules" NEW mix for Atmos. I've thought of that myself as an artist who's also the self-producer/engineer. Things like backing vocals that may have a certain number of layers for stereo could have double or triple or even quadruple that for Atmos. In general, things that would normally kind of "crowd" the stereo space can have room to breathe in Atmos.

But, those additions have to be tasteful. Can be tough to do for something people are already familiar with. Interesting that Peter is already making people not get TOO used to any one mix of the song from his forthcoming album. I just love how adventurous he is on that. It's risky to piece meal an album release like he's doing, but, at this point in life and after this much time I don't think he cares. He just wants to be one of the only artists doing it this way to make a point. A great point. Songs can exist in multiple versions. No one mix needs to define how a song is supposed to sound.

I love the approach of doing a specific "no rules" NEW mix for Atmos. I've thought of that myself as an artist who's also the self-producer/engineer. Things like backing vocals that may have a certain number of layers for stereo could have double or triple or even quadruple that for Atmos. In general, things that would normally kind of "crowd" the stereo space can have room to breathe in Atmos.

But, those additions have to be tasteful. Can be tough to do for something people are already familiar with. Interesting that Peter is already making people not get TOO used to any one mix of the song from his forthcoming album. I just love how adventurous he is on that. It's risky to piece meal an album release like he's doing, but, at this point in life and after this much time I don't think he cares. He just wants to be one of the only artists doing it this way to make a point. A great point. Songs can exist in multiple versions. No one mix needs to define how a song is supposed to sound.

Yes, I really enjoy live reinterpretations. Similar thing here. Stereo, 5.1 and atmos are different canvases. I am also reminded of the much loved 12" remixes of old.

I'm an enormous PG fan, and have been since the early Genesis days. Our middle child was almost named Peter, as we are both huge fans. Seen him x number of times, blah blah blah. I am not surprised but I am truly overjoyed that Peter discovered, accepted and embraced immersive music. This is so fantastic.

Oh, and the new song and mix are great! Can't wait for the whole album. And early stuff would sound great in immersive (like UP, not a huge leap given that he wrote a lot of it for 5.1 anyway).

I may be in the minority here, but I'd much rather have the whole album all-at-once, rather than get one track here; one track there.
In fact, i have not even listened to Panopticom. I'd rather have the whole album experience 1st, and then go back later for individual tracks.

It seems that many artists have released a song or two well ahead of the album release. I understand releasing a "single" for radio play. But, do the albums we wait for on here have singles? Sometimes, but not really....

I can wait for the whole album release of "I/O". It's been forever and a year already.

It's not here and there. It's each full moon.
Our opinions aren't important, this is PG!
Can't be sure of course, but seems to me it's a brilliant way of releasing the album while you're still working on the album. ;)
I'm guessing he's still re-writing lyrics and changing things.
He just released a longer making-of video and Panopticom was Panopticon when it was recorded with the band.
I feel lucky to be alive at the same time as him and a happy to be around for this album's long release.
:)

Back