Peter Gabriel I/O (2CD/Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos mix out 12/1!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In regards to 7+(?) Atmos speakers, an ideal SACD 5.1 configuration recommends all speakers be identical. So how do you hang 48" tall tombstone sized speakers with 15" bass drivers from the ceiling?
Every system makes some sort of sacrifices, the best ones limit them.

After posting a response to @César yesterday (and saying I'd listen again in the evening) I am slightly more in agreement that PG's vocals could be brought forward more. So I tried something rather easy, I lowered the sides/rears by 2 db and voila, the mix sounds much more balanced. This is a slippery slope, as one could probably do these kinds of tweaks on many surround and/or Atmos mixes...so I am kinda sorry I heard this. :)
If you have the ability to make something sound better in a particular room, on a particular setup, it would be silly not to take advantage of that. I am reading some posts in this thread and thinking how difficult it is for some to make simple channel volume adjustments depending on their setup settings.

No complaints from me on the vocal balance, PG's voice is primarily in the two fronts and still cuts through during the denser passages. I like this song better than anything on Up, excited to hear the rest of the album.
On my 7.3.4 setup there are quite a lot of vocals in the surround back too. Not all the time but a fair amount.

Mixed opinion about the Atmos mix,.now I've had the chance to listen to it with some focus.
While it contains many discreet elements that could have made it a great mix, I find it a bit amateurish (sorry, who am I to judge!).
Vocals are too buried to my liking, specially comparing against the two stereo mixes. They are mainly in the two main fronts and they get more and more subdued by the rears as you increase the volume. In fact, I feel like the rears are too predominant. There's also a guitar track isolated in the front speaker that you can hardly hear unless to place your ear next to the speaker.
I'm really happy to get I/O in Atmos, but it's one of these mixes that I'm inclined to tweak.
And now let's wait for the next full or half moons for the rest of the album.
I find alot of Atmos mixes like this, because they are done by amateurs. Guys who have never mixed in surround before. This is a fact, but luckily some do it very well.

I guess this is just another sign of where the music business is these days. Because I would have thought the main Apple Spatial Audio page would have carved out a little spot for these new PG songs, but can't locate him anywhere on it :(

Maybe just need to have a few more songs in the bag first IDK?

And here's the new single "Playing For Time". I really like this one. A departure from the sound of the two previous tracks. He mentioned Randy Newman in the Full Moon update and that influence is clear. This one is really beautiful.

Not in Atmos yet on Apple Music. I guess we'll get that in two weeks' time.

Last edited:
Back