Peter Gabriel - New Blood Live Blu Ray (2D & 3D) Released Oct. 25, 2011

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Just finished my first listen today. Much like Gabriel's last studio release "Scratch My Back," this features full orchestral versions (no guitars/synths/electric bass/etc) of Gabriel's solo work plus a few covers that were done originally on Scratch My Back. This recording is in a word, Lush! The presentation of the orchestral arrangements takes full advantage of the lossless dynamic range of DTS HD MA 5.1. The LFE is particularly effective. Gabriel's voice is in fine form - although at times the reverb is a little overdone but not oppressively so. This was released in both 2D and 3D - and although with the exception of a few "special effects," I can't see the appeal of 3D but if you got it -why not? The 2D PQ is flawless and as it is a Peter Gabriel event, the imagery is quite lovely to look at but it's mainly a live concert presentation.

If Peter Gabriel fronting a full orchestra without the benefits of rock instrumentation is not your bag, then you should probably pass - Scratch My Back which was all covers done in the same fashion met with love it/hate it reviews. IMO, I think it is one of the better recorded live Blu Ray titles out there. One minor criticism, and I should qualify that I've only listened once - Gabriel is joined by his daughters on background vocals. For some reason, on several tracks their voices are recorded completely dry (w/o reverb) and placed firmly in the L & R surrounds. This has a rather jarring effect (especially in contrast to Gabriel's vocals which are very wet and come mainly from the Center) and sounds a bit odd at times - which is a shame because on "Don't Give Up," his daughter Ane, sings the Kate Bush part quite nicely.

All in all, an excellent BD live concert - highly recommended. More info and track listing here;

http://petergabriel.com/newblood_video/

good review, just one correction: Ane Brun is not PG's daughter but a famous Norwegian singer-songwriter

Her part on Don't Give Up is an acquired taste, but something different for sure.

Like this BD as well, bought is as part of the Deluxe edition, including the same live concert on DVD, some excerpts on CD as well as the Studio album, all packaged in a beuatiful book.

I just bought this in 2D and it is amazing. The mix is just sooo good. I got lost in the percussion building up behind me until I realized that it was there. I am also amazed that, according to audiomuxer, it is 48k/16bit. For the arrangements, audio mix and video quality I give this a 10!

Was there ever a poll for this one? I've got the 2D Blu-ray since release date and only today I noticed how good the surround mix is. I can't understand why I only played it a couple of times in 2011 and then shelved it. I remembered today that I purchased it when, watching some videos from the time when my son was a baby, the music was in the background. I was his first gig, as he was Inside her mum's belly when we attended the concert in Madrid. Very fond memories.
My only regret is that I've never seen Peter in full rock mode. Maybe one day when he releases his new album (I know, I know, the one it's been on the works since 10 years ago)

Back