Phil lesh & friends - there and back again

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought it years ago, listened to it maybe once. As I recall the mix was poor, and I didn't care for the tunes either. If you are interested I'll get it out and have a listen for you so I can report back on the mix.

The rears are used mostly for guitar solos and harmony vocals. All/most else comes from the fronts. Tunes are not sticking to me, not on my most played list.

Vinylguy4

Thanks I was just looking and There are a few used and cheap at amazon.
But I might just pass

Thanks I was just looking and There are a few used and cheap at amazon.
But I might just pass

All depends on music taste. Compared to some of the other mindnumbing material out there, it does sound like music, i listen to it every once in a while. Mix seems OK to me.

Hmm, I have to say it took a couple of plays to get into this but I have to disagree with you all here. I think that the surround mix is fantastic and the sound quality both in MC and 2-ch is outstanding as well.

It is really more of a Warren Haynes album than a Phil album, basically all the Warren songs that they played during that tour. I would just about say that for me this is a reference recording in terms of how a well recorded rock album sound sound.

If you can get it on Amazon cheap I would go ahead, I did! and they aren't making any more of them either.

Ah well, no love for this disc. I just listened to it again last night and was totally floored! Sound quality is really amazing. GREAT bass slam, as you would expect. I like the songs, most are penned by Warren and there are some contributions from Robert Hunter. Surround mix is also very good. I think what I like about the surround mix is that this is an album that was recorded with surround in mind, not an older album remixed for surround. Really is a reference for what a rock surround mix should sound like.

With the dearth of hi rez surround rock albums out there I would think this would get more love. I REALLY enjoyed it last night!

finally got this.. been on my sa-cd.net wishlist around 5 years..

...interesting surround mix, much more active than I was expecting.. rears are nice and full with (slightly overloud/not the best-sung) backing vocals, guitar crunches, bit of slide guitar, organ trills.. slightly "by-the-numbers" musically but I rather like it.. it's got a slick yet rough 'n ready quality all at the same time (like a Dire Straits' LP!) there's a kind of funky ramshackle air of accomplishment about it! slick but not sterile.

is there a QQ Poll for this?

Back