HiRez Poll Phillips, Anthony - 1984 [DVD-Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-Audio disc of Anthony Phillips - 1984

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 5.1 surround mix of the classic Anthony Phillips album "1984", available as a 2 CD/DVDA-V set from Esoteric Records.

Pre-Release Discussion here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...84-quot-2CD-DVD-Deluxe-Edition-Coming-in-June!

41HzNBejG0L.jpg

51AyH0IcLtL.jpg

13344679_10154227316844814_8220890837257454957_n.jpg

(n) :) (y)

As deep and rumbly a bass as anyone can expect and great surround mix and a very interesting departure from the acoustic guitar side of Ant.

I love the mix good use of the whole sound field.

very strong 9 verging on 10

Considering there's a lack of reviews (and votes) for this disc, I decided to revisit it today.
I'm giving it a '9', breaking my vote down this way:

Content (Music): 2/3
Surround Mix: 3/3
Fidelity: 3/3
High-Res Disc: 1/1

I'm not really sure my vote on fidelity is 100% accurate, but then again, it's hard to judge fidelity on a record like this that is largely synth-driven. I certainly did not hear any imperfections in the fidelity to bring my vote down on those terms.
The surround mix is perfect for the material, and it's very discrete! This is the kind of record that was designed for surround sound, even though it would take almost 30 years to actualize it. I just gave the music 2/3 because a lot of it does sound alike after a while, but I still recommend that a lot of you pick up this disc and check it out for yourselves! :)

This is the first title in the series that I had not previously owned so I've taken some extra time absorbing it before voting. First off it's a shame that they've eliminated the mini-box packaging! I was quite fond of that. Anyway it's an enjoyable, though perhaps not essential, album IMO consisting of 4 synth and drumbox based instrumental pieces. It never gets too adventurous but there are some nice, unexpected twists and turns and the arrangements are clever and entertaining. The surround mix is wonderful and perhaps elevates the material beyond what it can deliver in 2-channel. I give it an 8.

This one flew under my radar!!

Will listen a few more times before voting
But so far I'm thoroughly enjoying this release
Great mix
And I'm totally agreeing with the first three reviews.
I reckon this needs a bit more exposure.
It won't be out of place in most folks collection...imo.

Last edited:
Listening now. Excellent surround disc 10/10 for me.

My favorite Ant album. Love the quirkiness of the music. Totally agree with the Steven Wilson quote that “it isn’t really an electronic album at all, more like an Anthony Phillips album that just happens to be played on synthesizers instead of guitars”.

wonderful surround mix that brings out every nuance of the music.

sam

Listening now. Excellent surround disc 10/10 for me.

My favorite Ant album. Love the quirkiness of the music. Totally agree with the Steven Wilson quote that “it isn’t really an electronic album at all, more like an Anthony Phillips album that just happens to be played on synthesizers instead of guitars”.

wonderful surround mix that brings out every nuance of the music.

sam
Welcome back to the QQ forum samskeyti !

Another disc ...I played cathup with , and not a bad DVDA at all. Will do well next to my other 3 from Ant , just wish it was in a clamshell as well , but oh well . Probably costs a bit more to do it that a way.

Not quite like his first 3 DVDA's , this being a lot more instrumental and all.

Very good surround fwiw.

Toying btwn an 8 and 7 , so........EIGHT it is , then.

Mix: 4/5: Nothing too exciting but very good - limited slightly by the lack of stems. Definitely makes the music more interesting and varied.
Sound: 4/5: Very good.
Music: 3/5: Slightly cheesy but could easily be a lost Tony Banks solo album from the same era - 80s minimalist synths rather than the bombastic 70s sounds. But you do wish for a bit of added Mike gtr and Phil drums and vocals.

Got quite a lot of bonus tracks, too. Didn't really interest me but it's good value.

Weighted score: 4*3 + 4*2 + 3*1 = 12+8+3 = 23/30 = 7.66/10 = 8/10.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm late to this one as I am many of these. I loved Anthony Phillips in and out of Genesis, and I was really enjoying 1984 on vinyl recently. A totally uncharacteristic dark instrumental synth pop sound on this album. Apparently Ant did play a guitar on this album, but I don't remember hearing one. I wasn't digging the mastering of both my US and UK copies, so I bought an early UK CD and eek, that one was even brighter. So what better then that a new surround mix, which would surely tame those nasty highs? I had better get this one too.
Well, this surround presentation suited the music very well I thought, and overall the mix was excellent. However, this disc suffers from a "smiley-faced" EQ where you get some deep lows and plenty of highs, but without a fat midrange to fill it all in. That made it pretty difficult to turn up loud as this music would generally prompt it to. I gave it an 8, but I would have given it a 9 if the tone was evened out better.

Back