HiRez Poll Phillips, Anthony - THE GEESE AND THE GHOST [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Anthony Phillips - THE GEESE AND THE GHOST

• 6 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Contact

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2015 5.1 release from Cherry Red Records in the UK, THE GEESE AND THE GHOST by Anthony Phillips. (n):phones(y)

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19292

R-6792130-1426734542-3678.jpeg.jpg

R-6792130-1426734544-4752.jpeg.jpg

R-6792130-1426973267-3746.jpeg.jpg

R-6792130-1426973266-7339.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the easiest "tens" I have ever had to rate. It's high quality, discrete, beautifully mixed and the songs are just golden. The classic Genesis album that never was.

I agree with Neil.

For me this is the "Under the Radar" disc of the year (so far).

Love the acoustic & 12 string guitars coming at you from all angles. (y)

I'm having some problems figuring out what score to give this disc, but that is entirely due to my own musical taste. Let me say this, this is a really gorgeous sounding disc with outstanding packaging and authoring. This really does seem like a labor of love sort of release. The mix has plenty of discrete elements (particularly the guitars noted above) in the surrounds. The music itself is a bit too proggy for my tastes at times, but I will be doing quite a bit of late-night chilling with this one. For context, I'm not a huge Gentle Giant fan either...but this is far more accessible than GG for me. If you like the mellower side of older Genesis, this is definitely for you.

I'm having some problems figuring out what score to give this disc, but that is entirely due to my own musical taste. Let me say this, this is a really gorgeous sounding disc with outstanding packaging and authoring. This really does seem like a labor of love sort of release. The mix has plenty of discrete elements (particularly the guitars noted above) in the surrounds. The music itself is a bit too proggy for my tastes at times, but I will be doing quite a bit of late-night chilling with this one. For context, I'm not a huge Gentle Giant fan either...but this is far more accessible than GG for me. If you like the mellower side of older Genesis, this is definitely for you.

I've only played it a few times...I'm struggling with the content...my observations mirror yours...

There's such a thing? I listened to this album on youtube and thought it was FAR too much easy listening for my tastes.

I’ve long been a fan of this LP. It has a maturity and vulnerability about it that I find appealing and, at times, achingly beautiful. As previously mentioned fans of the lush, layered softer side of early Genesis should enjoy it. The sound is exceptional - warm and clear with full, natural dynamic contrasts. And the surround mix is equally impressive, serving the music perfectly. Add to this a bonus disc of extras, booklet, poster and nifty little box and you have quite a gem of a release. 10.

Finally got my copy yesterday. Listening now, though I had already listened to the music on youtube...so I knew what I was getting. The surround mix is very nice. The way the music is presented in a 5.1 setting is very good IMO. For me, this is not something I will share with my friends....to me...this sounds like a very personal listening. Not something to put on during a party...that's for sure. Nor is it background music while you do laundry. This for me, feels like a "sit down, turn off the lights and listen alone" sort of disc. Fine by me - I like these quiet moments....wonderful.

Right now, my wife is gone, it's gloomy outside...sitting in my chair and have this playing. I do find it rather melancholy....but again...I like that.

I believe I'd give it an 8. ONLY because of the music itself. Sound quality is excellent....I will need to be in the mood to play this...but when I do...will listen to it as a whole piece. Good stuff!

For those that rate this a 10, I totally can understand why you did...especially if you love the music. So, don't be bothered by my 8. This is a great disc, but one that would require me to be in the mood.... :)

For my taste, the surround release of the year so far, easily, and one that has been greatly anticipated since its announcement last year. Superb 5.1 mix, alive and THOSE guitars...Mike and Ant enchant me, what can I say. Wonderful. Add the new stereo mix and a tasty extras disc and its all magic and a gift for my ears. If you're out there AP, thank you. :phones

I didn't know this album, it came out in my first year at Uni, so money was limited and I never heard it as nobody I knew bought it. I bought a few of his later albums, so I thought I liked those so I'll definitely get it. I wish I'd bought it sooner!

This a 10 for the music, 10 for the sound, and 10 for the 5.1 mix. So a 10.

Between all the craziness of finishing up my Final Project and the madness that was the Simple Minds debacle, I never had a chance to properly review this disc.

Well, here it is:
Right away, you just know this is going to be a special album the way it fades in and out with the track "Wind-Tales", a backwards version of "Sleepfall: The Geese Fly West", the track that closes the album.
Track 2 is my favorite, one of two on which Phil Collins sings, "Which Way the Wind Blows". The surround mix keeps the same panning of Phil's voice as on the stereo mix, starting with his voice on the right side, before a double comes in on the left side. This track is essentially a Genesis-type song from "Trespass" or "Nursery Cryme". Absolutely beautiful through and through. It really doesn't get much better than this.
After that is the monstrous suite "Henry: Portraits of Tudor Times". One great thing about the DVD-A portion of this disc is that Neil has split it up to where each section is its own chapter, allowing one to easily switch around. The placement of guitars mirrors the stereo mix very well, with some sounds split in the front, while others are split in the back. This piece goes through so many moods and textures, all highlighted by the surround mixing techniques on display!
"God If I Saw Her Now" is a nice relaxant after "Henry", but I'm not as much of a fan of this song as "Which Way the Wind Blows."
"Chinese Mushroom Cloud" is a pleasant little ditty, keyword = little.

Then comes the title track, very similar in tone to what you might find on "Trespass" with Anthony Phillips and Mike Rutherford playing on twelve strings. There's also some lovely woodwind parts to complement the guitars. Some parts of this particularly remind me of "Stagnation".
"Collections" is another one of my favorites. Does this song remind anyone else of Camel, like something from "Moonmadness" maybe? Anyway it's a beautiful song with a great vocal from Mr Phillips. Then it all concludes with "Sleepfall: The Geese Fly West", again another track that reminds me of Camel.

I have said this before, but this is the second best surround release of the year so far behind "Hand Cannot Erase", so go out and get it before it's too late! :)
A solid '10'! :)

In my mini-review, I had not really had a chance to sit down with disc 2 in it's entirety. Disc 2 is the "extras" featuring basic trax, some without vocals and also the Silver Song single (both sides). And you get the "album" version of Silver Song as a basic track. The "single" as presented here blows away all the boots that have ever included it, sheer beauty. If this was one of Phil's first vocal efforts, he was on his game and it really set the table for things to come, from Nursery Cryme on. I'm really not certain when he recorded his vocal here, perhaps I missed it. Early. And the basic tracks feature "God If I Saw Her Now" and "Which Way The Wind Blows" without vocals so you can really hear the sheer majesty of the guitars and backing tracks. The whole disc presents surprises and allows you to hear things you may have missed before. Sorry this has nothing to do with the DVD surround mix, but I already glowed about it, disc 2 deserved special attention. Thanks.

Well...as much as it pains me...I'm going to be "that guy" on this disc..I've tried to like this content..I really have...I have had to force myself to use it as background music while I'm on the computer...still didn't work...I'm not going to be as diplomatic as Gos was...there is nothing appealing about this content for me...nada...you get a glimpse of Genesis..and I mean a real small glimpse...and that was the hope on my end...because I love most of the Genesis songs...and if they were anywhere near this sound quality I would be over the moon...and that brings me to ratings...I saw some unbelievably high poll ratings on some of the Genesis hi rez discs that were horribly compressed...great content but poor audio...and when you look at great discs like Avalon...there are some lowball ratings on that disc...the bottom line is that content rules the day...I was mildly upset on some lower ratings on discs I love that I thought were 10's...but this disc puts that feeling in perspective...I see 10's on this disc and I scratch my head...so now I understand how those people felt that I thought were off base on their evaluations...it's a content driven assessment...the heart wants what it wants...so back to me being "that guy"...I'm giving it a 7...and I think a rating of 7-9 doesn't need an explanation...it's an indication of a fine disc...below 7 or above 9 should require an explanation...this disc is probably headed to Ebay in the near future as I won't play it...but I don't regret the purchase...because the audio portion lived up to the advance billing and is truly impressive...

Well...as much as it pains me...I'm going to be "that guy" on this disc..I've tried to like this content..I really have...I have had to force myself to use it as background music while I'm on the computer...still didn't work...I'm not going to be as diplomatic as Gos was...there is nothing appealing about this content for me...nada...you get a glimpse of Genesis..and I mean a real small glimpse...and that was the hope on my end...because I love most of the Genesis songs...and if they were anywhere near this sound quality I would be over the moon...and that brings me to ratings...I saw some unbelievably high poll ratings on some of the Genesis hi rez discs that were horribly compressed...great content but poor audio...and when you look at great discs like Avalon...there are some lowball ratings on that disc...the bottom line is that content rules the day...I was mildly upset on some lower ratings on discs I love that I though were 10's...but this disc puts that feeling in perspective...I see 10's on this disc and I scratch my head...so now I understand how those people felt that I thought were off base on their evaluations...it's a content driven assessment...the heart wants what it wants...so back to me being "that guy"...I'm giving it a 7...and I think a rating of 7-9 doesn't need an explanation...it's an indication of a fine disc...below 7 or above 9 should require an explanation...this disc is probably headed to Ebay in the near future as I won't play it...but I don't regret the purchase...because the audio portion lived up to the advance billing and is truly impressive...

You can stay on this forum anyway. :)

I've listened to this disc 5 times. After the fourth time I was starting to think that there was a lot of repetition. I agree with the other comments on the mix and especially the fidelity - very good. But it just seemed like a lot of the same music over and over.

But then I had a realization - this is not the type of music that bowls you over. Throw on Reckless (Bryan Adams) and from the opening notes it bombards your senses. The Geese and The Ghost is a totally different kind of music. If you really concentrate on what you are hearing then it takes on a life of its own. Many of the changes in the notes are very subtle. If you don't listen carefully you won't notice everything that's going on and it's easy to dismiss it as repetitive. But if you actively listen and listen carefully you will hear the full substance of this album.

This is a disc that tends to grow on you the more you listen.I agree the music is a type of Genesis lite, minus a lot of vocals.And it's a cross between Trespass and Nursery Cryme.

I like Nursery Cryme alot so this disc I like and gave it a nine but not so much for the music as the clean sound of this DVDA and a very good surround mix!
I don't mind the ambient presentation with the majority of this disc ( that it is sans vocals) because the rears are not ambient surround, there is ample instrument placement!
The two tunes with Phil Collins are a pleasure, as are the Phillips/Rutherford guitar duets throughout.
Great 5.1 mix by Andy Myles with Simon Heyworth.

I am a bit torn on voting.
The warm sonics and the mix on this are perfect.
The overall package is a great value for the price point ($24 usd) from Burning Shed.
Remastered album, fantastic 5.1 mix, what seems to be exhaustive demos from the period + 2 officially unreleased singles, detailed liner notes - One of the rare times that the moniker of "Definitive Edition" almost actually lives up to the name.

Now the slight rub -The overall album comes across as just a tad bit repetitive to my taste. I guess I don't have the ear to hear the subtle differences in Anthony's playing. I would have also liked to hear at least the unreleased singles (Silver Song and Only Your Love) in 5.1 on the extras disc.

Going with a 9 but that is based on my taste for the music only & the lack of the two later singles in 5.1.
I must say though that if you have any affection for this album or in the early sound of Genesis, this is a must get.

Excellent fidelity and surround mix; enjoyable music content (but I'm not a big fan of early Genesis). Great mellow rainy day or late night disc. Very consistent, relaxing tone throughout. 8.

Back