Phono Preamp questions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used my Pioneer amps in-built MM phono amp for years it was/is good, but then I got an SM2, hence the change to an external one! If it was a choice between putting the money towards getting a better TT or buying a new phono pre-amp, I'd go for changing my TT.

Well, now there is some very logical suggestions. :)
That's probably great advice sure, but you don't know unless you try something (like a Technics 1200 TT rather than a Pro-Ject.)
That's why I miss going to the grocery store, because I have a "thing" about when shopping at the grocery store, find something to try I've never had before, and I've discovered some real yummy gems that way.

Well, now there is some very logical suggestions. :)

Sure why not? If you have a MM cartridge, there would be no pressing reason to buy an external phono preamp. My processor does have a built in preamp but no pre-preamp for MC. That is the main reason I bought an external unit. I have been a proponent of MC carts since the late 70's. They are more detailed. That being said if the vinyl is not pristine it will reveal that too! I recommend having both, MM for older vintage vinyl and MC for new or pristine vinyl. It also depends on your budget. Obviously if you spend big bucks on a cart you would want a better preamp.

Yes. Upgrade that which is likely the limiting factor. I do think you can get a decent standalone phono preamp for under $150 which is likely better than almost any integrated preamp. If however your turntable, or receiver, or even speakers were only $150, that would be a silly investment.

Yes. Upgrade that which is likely the limiting factor. I do think you can get a decent standalone phono preamp for under $150 which is likely better than almost any integrated preamp. If however your turntable, or receiver, or even speakers were only $150, that would be a silly investment.
Interesting...all of my Technics TT from the 80s have been less than $150 , so this is all VERY relative (obviously the list price was way higher back then, my TT was $470 in 1981, it would be $1345.52 today)...

Last edited:
I have been a proponent of MC carts since the late 70's. They are more detailed. That being said if the vinyl is not pristine it will reveal that too! I recommend having both, MM for older vintage vinyl and MC for new or pristine vinyl. It also depends on your budget. Obviously if you spend big bucks on a cart you would want a better preamp.

I would agree but when it comes to MM cartridges one must also consider the type of music to be played, if you were to say be a sabbath fan one would be better off with a good MM cart.
I am jumping back a fourth between MM and MC and both have strong and weak points.

Last edited:
I hadn't posted in a while and then this thread caught my eye. Now, I'm inspired to rotate all my vintage equipment to try something new. I've never played the denon cart with with the music hall preamp through the QRX-999. I always felt that internal phono preamp was kinda lacking for stereo. So rotate I will do and will post my subjective results, with or without the preamp. Might be few days.

SO, my wife and kids are watching "below deck" which is a pretty stupid show about pretty people working on a pretty boat for pretty guests. Uuugh. So I took the phono preamp back from my youngest daughter who had borrowed it and hooked it up to the QRX. The QRX has never been used with a separate preamp. And, I have not switched out the cart yet. Still playing the shure with the VL Stylus. I am enjoying the heck out of this so much as is. There must be something wrong with the built in phono preamp as it sounds ridiculously better with the music hall in the middle. Update: Subjectively, the denon is the better cart, at least for rock. Seems "beefier", which is about as technical as I care to get. But it is also twice the price.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Not one single negative review! Looks like a really nice find though. Let us know how it sounds once you get it up and running.

Last edited:
Acoustic Sounds is way behind with shipping due to Covid. I really do get it. BUT........I think until covid related warehouse issues are resolved, they should not take my money when I order. Take it when they ship.
Yes! the Parasound has shipped today. Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

And, some nice monoprice cables. 🙌🏻
View attachment 62086
I only bought 1 set of cables.....since I didn't know if I'd like them. Also, they were $15, so not expensive...but certainly more expensive than the basic stuff you can buy for $4 a set. These are super well made, and I like how you plug them in...then you rotate the ends to tighten them. Going to go ahead and buy another pair to finish the connections.

So, getting used to using a phono preamp. The very first thing I noticed within 5 minutes........utilizing this preamp, as opposed to plugging directly into my Denon phono jacks.....it's much louder. Not sure why.....as I don't understand all what is actually happening. I mean, where normally I had to turn my Denon up to 65db to play loud, now I only turn up to 45db. That takes some getting used to. Sort of shocking actually. What it means right now is, I can play my vinyl much louder than I could before. Literally, I would run out of volume before...now I have more to play with.

Anyone have an explanation? Not that it matters. The second thing I've noticed, for a lack of better terminology. This thing ROCKS. Seems to me, I've turned my turntable into a rock and roll machine. Which, I like.

So, getting used to using a phono preamp. The very first thing I noticed within 5 minutes........utilizing this preamp, as opposed to plugging directly into my Denon phono jacks.....it's much louder. Not sure why.....as I don't understand all what is actually happening. I mean, where normally I had to turn my Denon up to 65db to play loud, now I only turn up to 45db. That takes some getting used to. Sort of shocking actually. What it means right now is, I can play my vinyl much louder than I could before. Literally, I would run out of volume before...now I have more to play with.

Anyone have an explanation? Not that it matters. The second thing I've noticed, for a lack of better terminology. This thing ROCKS. Seems to me, I've turned my turntable into a rock and roll machine. Which, I like.
It's the GAIN built into the circuit. You are connecting the preamp to another input on your Denon, not the phono input??? Just asking; from my own experience, I know it's easy to get cofused sometimes when we're trying to "manage" all these cables, especially the older we get!

Unfortunatly, I don't believe Parasound publishes the gain of the Zphono. I had one in my system a while back and remember the same thing (still have it, but it's "resting" right now). I recall calling Parasound and them telling me if I wanted even more gain, to set the switch on the back to MC (my carts are all MM, MCs typically have lower output and need greater amplification). The guy told me it wouldn't hurt anything, but the possiblity existed that it might overdrive a MM cart's signal and cause distortion.

I am currently using a TC-750LC preamp from phonopreamps.com. I like it because the gain is adjustable. That's the only real difference except for the price; but price wasn't why I bought it. I've A/Bd both and didn't hear a difference (just my impression). They're both made in Taiwan; at least, they were at the time I bought mine. The Zphono does beat the TC-750 hands down in the looks department and it is certainly a quality product with a good reputation. ENJOY!

It depends on how much gain is in the preamp built into your amp. What I have typically noticed is the volume level when using the AUX or similar connection on my legacy receiver is always louder than hooking up the turntable directly to the phono connection on the same receiver. Lots of variables of course, including the cartridge, that cause the perceived volume drop when playing a record vs a CD.. I think there is nothing abnormal in what you are experiencing.

Reactions: GOS
Back