HiRez Poll Pineapple Thief, The - DISSOLUTION [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Pineapple Thief - DISSOLUTION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
Okay, I've played the 5.1 a few times (the dvd as the blu-ray won't go in my Panasonics...grr....hope the fix comes soon) and listened to the 2.0 non-stop in the car for the last week or so.

Any news on when (or if) a Panasonic capable version will be released? I would love to listen to it but I only have the single disc Blu-ray version :(

Any news on when (or if) a Panasonic capable version will be released? I would love to listen to it but I only have the single disc Blu-ray version :(

Since it seems the issue seems to be specific to Panasonic I would *hope* that it can be resolved with a firmware update rather than the hassle of new discs, but that means having the record company, player company, disc author company all working together to provide a solution for the customer.

As The Pineapple Thief are perhaps not huge sellers, and the affected Panasonic player customers are a small group, I may guess it's one of those problem discs that will just get put aside and be (hopefully) forgotten over time.

If I'm out of line, and yes, I cannot squarely place the blame anywhere except to say that as a customer *all* involved ought to provide a resolution to a paying customer - especially of a "super-deluxe" package. I'm fortunate I guess - I can hear the 5.1 in DTS or in the other room on my Oppo, but those Panasonic customers that bought the blu-ray seem to be s.o.l.

I usually do not vote, but this Blu-ray deserves a 10. This is my second favourite album by TPT (first one being Magnolia) and the mix is spectacular, perhaps the best one (for a newly recorded album) in 2018.
Everything has been done in a tasteful and effective way, bravo, Bruce!
And now...When will your back catalogue remixed in surround? :cool:

I can't seem to get enough of this disc lately. The main album is excellent--favorite tracks include "Try As I Might", "Threatening War", and "White Mist"--with a nice 5.1 mix (a bit dialed-back compared to Your Wilderness though), but what really keeps me coming back are the 'unplugged' surround mixes. These are absolutely incredible at high volume - Bruce is loud and clear in the center, shakers and backing vocals are in the rears, and different acoustic guitars pick away all around you. There's also some really interesting surround effect on the electric guitar parts - sometimes the echo/feedback slowly swirls around the room or ping-pongs from speaker-to-speaker. I voted a "9" before, but the amazing acoustic tracks may push this one into "10" territory for me.

I can't seem to get enough of this disc lately. The main album is excellent--favorite tracks include "Try As I Might", "Threatening War", and "White Mist"--with a nice 5.1 mix (a bit dialed-back compared to Your Wilderness though), but what really keeps me coming back are the 'unplugged' surround mixes. These are absolutely incredible at high volume - Bruce is loud and clear in the center, shakers and backing vocals are in the rears, and different acoustic guitars pick away all around you. There's also some really interesting surround effect on the electric guitar parts - sometimes the echo/feedback slowly swirls around the room or ping-pongs from speaker-to-speaker. I voted a "9" before, but the amazing acoustic tracks may push this one into "10" territory for me.
Listening to the Unplugged tracks now per your suggestion, Jonathan. Totally forgot how fantastic they are! Bruce is rapidly developing into the next in the relatively short line of vaunted surround mixers. I know some find Bruce and Pineapple Thief’s music a bit boring, but I love the melancholia on display.

Listening to the Unplugged tracks now per your suggestion, Jonathan. Totally forgot how fantastic they are! Bruce is rapidly developing into the next in the relatively short line of vaunted surround mixers. I know some find Bruce and Pineapple Thief’s music a bit boring, but I love the melancholia on display.
The alt tracks for the new album will feature Gavin on percussion. Can. Not. Wait.

Ive recently got the single disc Blu-Ray and can report that this is an excellent album, definitely complements and is a development on the 2016 Your Wilderness album. It's a little more commercial sounding than its predecessor but very consistently good throughout and finishes on a high with the 2 stand out tracks, White Mist & Shed A Light. Ive listened to both the 5.1 PCM and DTS HD streams and they seem identical to me. What is noticeable is the really excellent quality and mix that Bruce has produced here, partially his vocals which is very clear and front focused. It's not an extreem discreet mix but it doesn't need to be by nature of the music with the rears only used to effect when it complements the overall mix. One interesting thing I did find however is my Sub went a bit wild for a couple of seconds at 42:33 on the final track, would be interested to know if other people experienced this. Not sure if it was a glitch or was meant to be ! Never the less this is a 10 for me, a very enjoyable listen.

Mine does this too. It makes no sense, although it does almost coordinate with the climax of the solo, so perhaps it's intentional? There is also another point in Try As I Might as the song builds and it goes into a verse where suddenly either his vocals specifically or the overall music just seems like somebody cranked it a couple decibels. I've noticed it every time without listening for it, so there's something going on there.

WIlderness is the superior surround mix, I think. I gave it a 10. This one is about an 8. I really think more could've been done with it. Shed A Light is probably the best surround track on the album, and also the best surround track on the unplugged portion. And the unplugged portion really brings this up a notch, I think. I know there are fewer tracks to deal with in mixing it, but it just seems to work better atmospherically, if that makes sense. It's a wonderful mix-- something even the spouses can enjoy.

Dissolution regular surround mix - 8

Dissolution unplugged surround - 9.5

I guess technically that should make this blu ray a 9 (8.75) overall, but the regular album I'm weighing more, and I'm stretching the regular mix to make it an 8 because I think there was much more potential than was realized. Still a worthwhile BR, as the music is solid and the fidelity, minus the two weird parts mentioned above, is great. By my fuzzy math, and all things considered, this is really probably about an 8.4 or 8.3, but gets an 8 on the poll.

WIlderness is the superior surround mix, I think. I gave it a 10. This one is about an 8. I really think more could've been done with it. Shed A Light is probably the best surround track on the album, and also the best surround track on the unplugged portion. And the unplugged portion really brings this up a notch,

Agree on both counts. Be sure to pick up Versions Of The Truth, the 5.1 mixes of both the main album and reimagined bonus tracks are even better than Wilderness.

Last edited:
Agree on both counts. Be sure to pick up Versions Of The Truth, the 5.1 mixes of both the main album and reimagined bonus tracks are even better than Wilderness.

This was supposed to arrive via Amazon today, but apparently was pushed back to tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to it, as these guys are a recent discovery for me. I almost feel bad giving it an 8, but think I explained my rationale pretty well. It's not a faultless mix, and there's no complaint about the quality of the songs. These guys are filling my Porcupine Tree/SW void while Steven Wilson is off on his weird electronic pop tangent.

This was supposed to arrive via Amazon today, but apparently was pushed back to tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to it, as these guys are a recent discovery for me. I almost feel bad giving it an 8, but think I explained my rationale pretty well. It's not a faultless mix, and there's no complaint about the quality of the songs. These guys are filling my Porcupine Tree/SW void while Steven Wilson is off on his weird electronic pop tangent.
Since TPT is a new interest of yours, I'm gonna take a chance that you might like this Bruce Soord interview. There is other TPT content on the channel too.

Since TPT is a new interest of yours, I'm gonna take a chance that you might like this Bruce Soord interview. There is other TPT content on the channel too.

He's right about surround mixing choices being subjective. If you mix it one way, you risk alienating one group and pleasing another. It sounds like he's waffled in some of his choices in the past. Having mixed my own stuff in stereo (which doesn't sound half as good as his stuff), I know that you make so many choices on the fly and based on what you're feeling at that given moment. I think the more mixes he makes, the more comfortable he will be in employing a certain style of surround mix. Perhaps he changes it a bit depending on what the song warrants, but in the end I think he will end up like Steven Wilson where you know you're going to get a pleasing surround mix. Maybe not SW-caliber, but something definitely worth buying.

He's right about surround mixing choices being subjective. If you mix it one way, you risk alienating one group and pleasing another. It sounds like he's waffled in some of his choices in the past. Having mixed my own stuff in stereo (which doesn't sound half as good as his stuff), I know that you make so many choices on the fly and based on what you're feeling at that given moment. I think the more mixes he makes, the more comfortable he will be in employing a certain style of surround mix. Perhaps he changes it a bit depending on what the song warrants, but in the end I think he will end up like Steven Wilson where you know you're going to get a pleasing surround mix. Maybe not SW-caliber, but something definitely worth buying.

Interesting comments. I haven't watched the interview, but am aware of Bruce's mixes and an inclined to agree with your thoughts. Though I have my hopes he will be equal to Steven Wilson, but with his own unique stamp on surround approaches. I have similarly hopes for S W Taylor. Where there's subjectivity, art and talent play a big role. Here's hoping for lots of 'greats' in this artform!

Last edited:
☀ Hi, where or how to get The Pineapple Thief Dissolution replacement bluray ?
Thanks

Back