HiRez Poll Pineapple Thief, The - GIVE IT BACK [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Pineapple Thief - GIVE IT BACK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
I don't like:
It's basically a 5.1 mix, heights are practically not used, and when they're are they don't change the game 🎮

No issue with your 8 score but are you sure - maybe you didn’t actually select the 5.1 mix?

Hit play on track 1 and the wave sound and cymbals are up in the heights right after the initial vocal lines. And as @sjcorne observed ( At around 2:41), the insect sounding guitar solo is 100% in the heights. The heights are in use the entire disc.

I don’t get your 1 song split into 12 thing either. It’s a band that has a signature sound and style. There is still plenty of diversity across the tracks. But you gotta take the project for what it is - a glimpse of songs that Gavin gave a stab at reworking. From Gavin’s liner notes: “ this isn’t a compilation album, or any kind of selected best of record, but rather the tunes that gave me inspiration to rearrange, rework, rewire”.

And i gotta say that “I Build World For You” comes pretty close to having that earworm chorus you are looking for.

If anything, I feel that there might be a tad too much bleed over from the fronts into the heights. But it is one of Bruce’s early Atmos early mixes. Not that I feel this a bad mix but it is insane how far Bruce has leveled up with Atmos in 2 years time.

I don't like:
It's basically a 5.1 mix, heights are practically not used, and when they're are they don't change the game 🎮

The picture below shows the decoding of the full album from Dolby Atmos to 9.1.4 channels.

The four tracks below TFR,TFR,TRL,TRR are the Heights. You can see that the content amount there is about the same as other surround channels.

Perhaps there is not too much discrete movements or special panning effects, also considering (as said) that it is an early Bruce Atmos mix. But there are enough content to get an acceptable immersive bubble, over just a 5.1

The only scarce content are in the WL, WR channels that correspond to the Wides on the 9.1.4. Even at that early Bruce Atmos mixing times, he was already using Objects at the Wides location, outside the bed locations.

1708970686524.png

For a quick spin the content wasn't as captivating as the one before with 3 albums worth.

Back