BluRay Music Video Poll Pineapple Thief, The - NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH [Blu-Ray (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BD of the Pineapple Thief - NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2021 release from the Pineapple Thief entitled "Nothing but the Truth".
Filmed during the COVID-19 lockdown, the audio was mixed by Bruce Soord in both 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos.
High-resolution 5.1 & Dolby Atmos files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/nothing-but-the-truth/1579363537
(y) :) (n)

71ItbB9AlaL._SL1200_.jpg

61Md5wjX0jL._SL1200_.jpg

Pre-release thread for all shipping/ordering queries and non-poll related posts:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-nothing-but-the-truth-dolby-atmos-5-1.30931/

Right behind you, Bud. Big BS & TPT fan. Random thoughts;
One of the things I like about TPF is they don't try to fill up every space which seems to fit into Soords general technique.

Just a general comment about the way more and more groups have refined their collaborations in this day of Pandemic loss, is that they are able to not physically be together yet feed off each other's contributions and pull out a cohesive effort... I realize this isn't a new thing but some just seem to be much better at it. The compositions here aren't forced I guess I'm trying to say. Here again I think beyond being a great drummer, Gavin is a force that just seems to keep growing and stretching out.

As a whole the band ain't too shabby. Now I haven't listened to the Atmos version yet as I'm still waiting on the BD to arrive, so it will be interesting to hear.
Pretty early here and there's much I could probably say if I was actually listening right now but this will suffice for now I guess.

I have a confession.
I was asked to test the Blu -ray by Bruce way back in the summer.
I, therefore, am totally biased in my feelings about the bands release.

Notwithstanding that, I would have voted 10 anyway

Why?

Because for Bruce to produce a remarkable first Atmos mix with his band doing a one take gig, is pure genius...imo

The band play very tight and play an eclectic selection of songs.

I like how he has arranged the various elements of the mix.

Gavin is indeed a force to be reckoned with.

But the members of the band just gell and you can see they are enjoying themselves.

We are very lucky here in the UK to have these musicians who understand surround mixing and embrace it enthusiastically.

Well done Bruce Soord...

And thankyou!!

Last edited:
I like how he has arranged the various elements of the mix.

The 'vocals-inside-your-head' effect definitely takes some getting used to - and isn't usually my preference - but it works here because the placement of each musician in the 5.1 mix matches their location on-screen. Bruce is standing in the middle of the stage, with the rest of the band and camera crew positioned out around him, so it makes sense that he's in the middle of the surround field as well. Steve Kitch is playing keys directly to the right of Bruce, so the keys are mixed in stereo across the right-hand side (very noticeable at the beginning of "Someone Pull Me Out").

There are only two exceptions to the panning rule: Bruce's guitar is mixed to the front speakers even though his voice is present in both front & rear, and Jon Sykes' bass guitar is also positioned upfront even though he's standing off to the left (his backing vocals come primarily from left rear). I suppose it would've been a bit strange to have the bass guitar coming only from the left side though.

I can't believe how great this is. I am ready to vote and I'm voting 10. Any talk about about the positioning of the lead vocal is honoustly interesting but - in my view - shouldn't take away the attention from the marvelous performance, recording and mix this is (I'm listening to the Atmos mix). I can't get enough of how everything sounds - those drums, that bass, those guitars, those keys, those vocals (yes, that's about the whole mix :D). And the songs... wow, what a journey. I have bought more discs than I can justify but this one will get the most spins. So glad we've got this, congratulations to everyone involved in this masterpiece. Thank you!

I literally just got this in the mail 1 hour ago. Seriously. I didn't waste any time deciding....it's a 10.

So, on the very first song, I realized, my central seat needed to be adjusted about 2 feet forward. Why? I could just tell I was missing the sweet spot. Once I did that...holy crap. Mind blown.

To my tastes, this is the most efffective use of Atmos I've ever heard. I'm absolutely loving this. Freaking Bruce Soord. He's a monster talent. I mean, sheesh, I almost want to have tears this is so damn good. WTF?

I have a 5.1.4 system. The heights have a lot of stuff going on. Great.........

I literally just got this in the mail 1 hour ago. Seriously. I didn't waste any time deciding....it's a 10.

So, on the very first song, I realized, my central seat needed to be adjusted about 2 feet forward. Why? I could just tell I was missing the sweet spot. Once I did that...holy crap. Mind blown.

To my tastes, this is the most efffective use of Atmos I've ever heard. I'm absolutely loving this. Freaking Bruce Soord. He's a monster talent. I mean, sheesh, I almost want to have tears this is so damn good. WTF?

It's a different concept for sure. Took me a little to adjust and I reran the speaker calibration then made some manual adjustments.
I have I guess a "5.0.2" system since I almost never use the sub and never include it when calibrating the speakers?
Anyway, like you say pretty impressive "up front/high" on my not expensive system plus the added delight of the rears. I think Soord did a good job with the Atmos and the band shines here as well.
(Now if I could get an Atmos setup on my pc sound system in bedroom that would be super)

Also, another fun fact with this mix. I could literally stand up, and completely turn 45 degrees either direction...and Bruce vocals still seemed locked.....somewhere...floating in my head? I dunno. Some voodoo shit right there.

Also, another fun fact with this mix. I could literally stand up, and completely turn 45 degrees either direction...and Bruce vocals still seemed locked.....somewhere...floating in my head? I dunno. Some voodoo shit right there.
Soz Gene, I read whodoyou!! Instead of voodoo... :)

This man still rocks my boat ..bit of a tangent I know.

Some say it takes a bit of getting used to, having the listener where Bruce wanted them...I loooove it.

Last edited:

We have commented about the Bruce voice coming mainly from the two side surround speakers.

If you sit in the middle, with the sides at ear level at 90º, you hear that "inside your head" binaural Bruce voice. That's fantastic.

But the effect disappears if you move a little. The sweet spot is very very narrow.

Okay, another play (3rd?) and once adjusted to the vocal placement and getting set in your personal; sweet spot this is a great mix. Once you "get" the premise of the film it really helps understand the mix.....watching the visual on the first listen or two makes that even more so. I can now put the disc in, look elsewhere an get the mix choices totally

Sometimes hardship leads to brilliance. This is one of those times. COVID blew their tour but they had a great record they wanted to play. Solution: Play a show on a soundstage with all the elements under your control. Record it with fidelity, film it brilliantly, mix it perfectly and in multiple formats, then give it to us to enjoy. Thank you.

TPT is making great music with deeply engaging songs and the band as tight as the heads on Gavin's drums. Doing the show like this was better than seeing them basically anywhere except a private show. Live concert sound at most venues is not good and at many it is a painful sonic assault with the music hidden in an overblown mass of toxic waste. I wrote about that problem here.

If you have a quality system, and I have a ridiculous one, then you will almost never find a better place to hear music than your own sweet spot. But there is still something about a show that adds an irreplaceable energy. The closest substitute to that is a great surround mix and in this case an even better Atmos experience. Sure you’re not at the show, but you have a much better seat, many fewer distractions and hopefully absolutely brilliant sound.

With all those in play, Nothing But The Truth was as good as I’ve heard and seen this done. My previous top live recording was Anesthetize from Porcupine Tree, which led me to these guys after being mesmerized by Gavin’s drumming. Those two can now be tied and everything else can fight for second place.

PT had to contend with a real venue, stage and audience for Anesthetize so they get degree of difficulty points. TPT got to avoid that and build their own very stylish mood for the film. They took huge advantage of that and played a wonderful show.

The surround mix has everything you want and would expect from people who take that seriously. The band was in a round configuration and the mix matches their positions. Bruce Soord was in the center and they used the surrounds to put his vocals right in your listening spot. That was the only gimmick and it really wasn’t even one, just an interesting placement.

The Atmos mix was noticeably more immersive, of course, but again no gimmicks just smart use of the height speakers. This obviously makes it more like a live show with audio from everywhere. But in this case, well-controlled audio crafted to provide a warm pleasant place for them to rock at you.

The recording quality was top shelf and all the elements of the band were nicely separated. You can do a nice critical listening session or pop back out and just soak in the whole thing. There is no reason you shouldn’t own this.
B6C94F42-8C2A-402D-A376-66F47F7F69AC_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Sometimes hardship leads to brilliance. This is one of those times. COVID blew their tour but they had a great record they wanted to play. Solution: Play a show on a soundstage with all the elements under your control. Record it with fidelity, film it brilliantly, mix it perfectly and in multiple formats, then give it to us to enjoy. Thank you.

TPT is making great music with deeply engaging songs and the band as tight as the heads on Gavin's drums. Doing the show like this was better than seeing them basically anywhere except a private show. Live concert sound at most venues is not good and at many it is a painful sonic assault with the music hidden in an overblown mass of toxic waste. I wrote about that problem here.

If you have a quality system, and I have a ridiculous one, then you will almost never find a better place to hear music than your own sweet spot. But there is still something about a show that adds an irreplaceable energy. The closest substitute to that is a great surround mix and in this case an even better Atmos experience. Sure you’re not at the show, but you have a much better seat, many fewer distractions and hopefully absolutely brilliant sound.

With all those in play, Nothing But The Truth was as good as I’ve heard and seen this done. My previous top live recording was Anesthetize from Porcupine Tree, which led me to these guys after being mesmerized by Gavin’s drumming. Those two can now be tied and everything else can fight for second place.

PT had to contend with a real venue, stage and audience for Anesthetize so they get degree of difficulty points. TPT got to avoid that and build their own very stylish mood for the film. They took huge advantage of that and played a wonderful show.

The surround mix has everything you want and would expect from people who take that seriously. The band was in a round configuration and the mix matches their positions. Bruce Soord was in the center and they used the surrounds to put his vocals right in your listening spot. That was the only gimmick and it really wasn’t even one, just an interesting placement.

The Atmos mix was noticeably more immersive, of course, but again no gimmicks just smart use of the height speakers. This obviously makes it more like a live show with audio from everywhere. But in this case, well-controlled audio crafted to provide a warm pleasant place for them to rock at you.

The recording quality was top shelf and all the elements of the band were nicely separated. You can do a nice critical listening session or pop back out and just soak in the whole thing. There is no reason you shouldn’t own this.View attachment 74882
If your system sounds half as good as it looks, it must sound stupendous!

Watching this again, listening to the Atmos mix. This must be THE best disc I know of. Fantastic songs, great sound and mix, superbly filmed. What an achievement!

(Can't actually believe how few people voted, this is a hugely important release as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended!)

Watching this again, listening to the Atmos mix. This must be THE best disc I know of. Fantastic songs, great sound and mix, superbly filmed. What an achievement!

(Can't actually believe how few people voted, this is a hugely important release as far as I'm concerned. Highly recommended!)
Yeah, and if I recall, it was super cheap as well. So yeah, shocked if only 18 folks bought this from QQ.

Back