HiRez Poll Pineapple Thief, The - VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Pineapple Thief - VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this brand new album from British band The Pineapple Thief called "Versions of the Truth".
The album has mixed in 5.1 surround by the band's main singer and songwriter Bruce Soord, and it has been released as both a single disc Blu-Ray and also in a very nice deluxe set with a bonus CD of alternate versions of some of the album's songs. The alternate versions are also available in 5.1 surround on the Blu-Ray too!

(y) :) (n)

91KCx9QAhbL._SL1500_.jpg

61nT%2BzeL5PL._SL1200_.jpg

I‘m just at song no. 2, but it is insanely good produced. The sound is....wow....phantastic, as is the mix til now. I don‘t understand why there is already a 6 in here.....just to put something down? I would like to get an explenation, Mr. Clauspeed!
Clauspeed - that is total and absolute bullshit. No posts, new member....come on. Admin needs to get rid of that. I mean, what a load of crap.

Ironically, I found the alternative version mixes more appealing than the regular versions. I'm also a sucker for well-placed multi-percussion elements, exemplified in the title track alternate version. This pushed me from a 9 to a 10 for the entire project.

Last edited:
Wow. I loved Your Wilderness and Dissolution, but this one is really special. I’ve been listening to the stereo mix all week and the only song that hasn’t connected with me yet is “The Game”. I suppose you could say it’s a bit of a slow-burn compared to Dissolution, but the band rocks out pretty hard in “Break It All” and “Our Mire”. My favorite tracks would have to be “Demons”, “Driving Like Maniacs” (gorgeous!), “Leave Me Be”, and “Stop Making Sense”.

Putting aside the surround aspect for a moment, this album just sounds fantastic. The drums in particular have remarkable heft and power. Everything is clear, crankable, and life-like.

Over the last week of stereo-only listening, I built up a picture in my head of what the 5.1 mix would be like (something I usually try to avoid, as it often leads to disappointment), but this is one of those rare instances where it turned out to be even more impressive than I’d imagined. In fact, I’d say Bruce Soord has graduated to the level of Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson with this mix. It’s far, far more adventurous than the 5.1 of Dissolution.

The rear channels are generally used for backing vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric), keyboards, and percussion. The ‘pinging’ guitar intro to “Demons” slowly fades in from behind. The multi-tracked voices slowly building up from all four corners in "Too Many Voices" gave me goosebumps. I love the xylophone in the rears during “Stop Making Sense”. There are too many other highlights to list…

As has been mentioned before, the alternate mixes are quite different than what you'd expect (I agree with @Neil Palfreyman's characterization of them as 'genre-defying'). It’s kind of like being in a Pineapple Thief drum circle, if that makes sense? I’m not sure if I prefer any of these to the main album versions, but they’re really cool. The surround mixes are nuts with different electronic percussion parts in each speaker and some seriously deep bass.

This is a “10” all the way for me. Thanks Bruce!

Ironically, I found the alternative version mixes more appealing than the regular versions. I'm also a sucker for well-placed multi-percussion elements, exemplified in the title track alternate version. This pushed me from a 9 to a 10 for the entire project.

I agree, its a 10 from me, and I too find the alternate versions more interesting musically.

I'm surprised at the lack of credits listed on the bluray (unless I'm missing it somewhere). It doesn't list the band members' names, or who did the 2 surround mixes. Did Bruce do them both? On his own, or with help from Gavin?

I'm surprised at the lack of credits listed on the bluray (unless I'm missing it somewhere). It doesn't list the band members' names, or who did the 2 surround mixes. Did Bruce do them both? On his own, or with help from Gavin?

Indeed. This is my first PT purchase, and was wondering about the four signatures on the insert. I know about Bruce and Gavin, but who are the other two members? No credits in the booklet nor even on the official website, so I went to Wikipedia.

I wonder how Jon Sykes and Steve Kitch (as I now know) feel about their lack of mention? Very strange.

Bruce definitely mixed both surround mixes (with just a little input from yours truly ;) ) though AFAIK Gavin provided the percussion parts for the alternate versions as complete entities, but I don't know if they were pre-mixed stems or multi-tracks. I would guess the latter.

All of the other band members were involved in the writing, in fact they did a Facebook Live Q&A session on it during lock-down, which may still be available either there or on YouTube; I can only think the lack of credits was an oversight of some kind.

I've played the surround and stereo mixes several times now. Wow! Really enjoying this new stripped down sound. As much as I love their past catalogue (Someone Here Is Missing, Tightly Unwound and Little Man etc etc) this is most welcome. A great Gavin Harrison showcase. That marimba! I've been a fan of his work since hearing him in Porcupine Tree and his Cymbal Song.
Top marks indeed!
Our tickets for the cancelled October show are still valid for 2021, fingers crossed it'll happen.

Off topic slightly, but Amazon lists the blu-ray of aversion of the Truth with a big warning that it will only play on region B players. Is this correct? Or is it an all region disc? I think I read somewhere that that warning was incorrect.

Wow. I loved Your Wilderness and Dissolution, but this one is really special. I’ve been listening to the stereo mix all week and the only song that hasn’t connected with me yet is “The Game”. I suppose you could say it’s a bit of a slow-burn compared to Dissolution, but the band rocks out pretty hard in “Break It All” and “Our Mire”. My favorite tracks would have to be “Demons”, “Driving Like Maniacs” (gorgeous!), “Leave Me Be”, and “Stop Making Sense”.

Putting aside the surround aspect for a moment, this album just sounds fantastic. The drums in particular have remarkable heft and power. Everything is clear, crankable, and life-like.

Over the last week of stereo-only listening, I built up a picture in my head of what the 5.1 mix would be like (something I usually try to avoid, as it often leads to disappointment), but this is one of those rare instances where it turned out to be even more impressive than I’d imagined. In fact, I’d say Bruce Soord has graduated to the level of Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson with this mix. It’s far, far more adventurous than the 5.1 of Dissolution.

The rear channels are generally used for backing vocals, guitars (acoustic and electric), keyboards, and percussion. The ‘pinging’ guitar intro to “Demons” slowly fades in from behind. The multi-tracked voices slowly building up from all four corners in "Too Many Voices" gave me goosebumps. I love the xylophone in the rears during “Stop Making Sense”. There are too many other highlights to list…

As has been mentioned before, the alternate mixes are quite different than what you'd expect (I agree with @Neil Palfreyman's characterization of them as 'genre-defying'). It’s kind of like being in a Pineapple Thief drum circle, if that makes sense? I’m not sure if I prefer any of these to the main album versions, but they’re really cool. The surround mixes are nuts with different electronic percussion parts in each speaker and some seriously deep bass.

This is a “10” all the way for me. Thanks Bruce!
Thanks for your review. I haven't had a chance to hear this yet, but now that you mention seriously deep bass it is going to have to move up the queue :p

Back