Pineapple Thief Versions of the Truth in BluRay Audio coming soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I think I may have posted about this a while back; I've been play testing the next Pineapple Thief studio album's 5.1 mix for Bruce. It's another absolute stunner from him and the band, that seems to me to take a lot of inspiration from the direction of Bruce's two solo albums, in that the songs all feel very personal and emotional.

...anyway, the main reason for swinging by again is to tell you about the bonus material for the special edition of the album: As fans of Bruce know he normally does an acoustic mix in surround, and this album is no exception. BUT the big change is that on this one he's had Gavin Harrison do percussion using a Nord Drum. The results are perfectly suited to surround and are really very different from anything you may have heard before! The only way I can describe it to say it's like a fusion of acoustic, stripped back Prog and the best '80s electro pop, with maybe a healthy does of Peter Gabriel percussion mixed in. It works extremely well, but is utterly genre defying!

imho another essential one for the collection!

[Edit] I had inadvertently included a working track title as the album title in my first post. The album title isn't actually decided/known yet, so if you saw it just ignore it. I'll let you know what it actually is as soon as it's announced!

Last edited:
I’ll preorder deluxe set as soon as I’m home. Really looking forward to it!

may even buy a T-shirt too as it’s pretty cool.

Definitely in for the standalone Blu-Ray! Sounds like the alternate mixes are where the real excitement is.
'The alternative mixes are very different to what people might expect. I told Gavin that I didn't want to do 'acoustic reworkings' like I usually do, so Gavin went away and well... You'll hear it!' - Bruce Soord, June 2020

Definitely in for the standalone Blu-Ray! Sounds like the alternate mixes are where the real excitement is.
The surround mixes of the album-proper are possibly some of the best Bruce has done to date, so there's no reason to down play them. :)

...but, yes, the alternate mixes are most unusual (in a good way) and very exciting too!

The surround mixes of the album-proper are possibly some of the best Bruce has done to date, so there's no reason to down play them. :)

...but, yes, the alternate mixes are most unusual (in a good way) and very exciting too!
Hi Neil, in the middle of this Atmos frenzy, did the idea of creating an Atmos mix crossed Bruce's mind? Have you touched this topic with him?
Although out of topic, same question is applicable for BBT team, it's be great if they could do Underfall Yard in Atmos.

Hi Neil, in the middle of this Atmos frenzy, did the idea of creating an Atmos mix crossed Bruce's mind? Have you touched this topic with him?
Although out of topic, same question is applicable for BBT team, it's be great if they could do Underfall Yard in Atmos.
To be brutally honest, I would be very surprised if it will ever happen. All of the artists I work with do 5.1 versions mostly because they believe in it's value to their art, sadly not because it's commercially viable. The format is already fraught with too many different standards and different consumer set-ups. Atmos complicates this further and makes creation/delivery more expensive.

Put another way; how are artists/producers who are currently struggling to justify a business model to deliver "standard" 5.1 going to justify even more investment in gear, licensing and effort that will only appeal to an even smaller user base?

I know that's no what you want to hear but the reality is that we supporters of surround represent a *very* tiny proportion of the customer base.

Pre~ordered from Burning Shed. Thanks for the links. What I don't understand is Burning Shed lists the release date as 4/09/20 ......but it's a pre~order.

To be brutally honest, I would be very surprised if it will ever happen. All of the artists I work with do 5.1 versions mostly because they believe in it's value to their art, sadly not because it's commercially viable. The format is already fraught with too many different standards and different consumer set-ups. Atmos complicates this further and makes creation/delivery more expensive.

Put another way; how are artists/producers who are currently struggling to justify a business model to deliver "standard" 5.1 going to justify even more investment in gear, licensing and effort that will only appeal to an even smaller user base?

I know that's no what you want to hear but the reality is that we supporters of surround represent a *very* tiny proportion of the customer base.
Not surprised by your answer, in fact it's what I was expecting. I was really surprised to see Steven Wilson embracing the format.
Production costs apart, I was more wondering about the artist's view on the Atmos format.
Thanks Neil

Bruce and I discuss it in our recent interview. He sounds interested.

Was surprised when I got the email from BurningShed yesterday as I didn't know an album was in the works. Already ordered the deluxe, £35 is a great reasonable price so I didn't have to think twice (plus the last 2 albums are stunning and I hope this follows on from those).

Back