Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Guthrie said, "We live in a digital world, but a lot of equipment that makes the most pleasing sound to me is still analog" that implies he tried it both ways in the past and he thought the analog equipment sounded better.

Regardless, I suspect a very small percentage of people possess the equipment necessary to tell the difference in a blinded test.
The equipment is supposed to make no sound at all. The fact that he said the analogue equipment makes the most pleasing sound to him implies to me the analogue equipment is modifying the sound (without being setup to do so, obviously there are effects one can select).

That equipment being the human auditory system, rather than any playback gear. We theoretically have the ability to hear the equivalent of 20 bits of PCM dynamic range, but only about 12 bits of that is usable for music. Only the youngest of us can hear anything close to 20kHz, let alone beyond 16kHz. If anyone says they can hear the difference between the same master at 16/44.1, 24/96+, and any variation of DSD, they most likely couldn't reliably identify them in a blind ABX test.
But what we're discussing here is going back and forth between DSD and analogue potentially dozens of times, and then you have to worry about minor losses each time adding up to something you can hear.
It's the same as 16 bits is more than enough for a consumer delivery format, but PCM mixing is done in 24 bits to avoid gradual build up of errors in the least significant bits.

But what we're discussing here is going back and forth between DSD and analogue potentially dozens of times, and then you have to worry about minor losses each time adding up to something you can hear.
It's the same as 16 bits is more than enough for a consumer delivery format, but PCM mixing is done in 24 bits to avoid gradual build up of errors in the least significant bits.
Where are you getting "dozens of times?" I don't think you understand the workflow. The multitracks are digitized using high-quality ADCs, played back through high-quality DACs into the analog console and mixed, then the summed mix—whether two-channel or six-channel—is recaptured by a high-quality DAC. Three conversions. Nothing of significance is lost.

Most PCM-based DAWs actually mix at much higher bit depths of 32+, but early digital consoles did work at 16-bit. I dare you to identify, by ear, the errors in any of those mixes.

Last edited:
Where are you getting "dozens of times?" I don't think you understand the workflow. The multitracks are digitized using high-quality ADCs, played back through high-quality DACs into the analog console and mixed, then the summed mix—whether two-channel or six-channel—is recaptured by a high-quality DAC. Three conversions. Nothing of significance is lost.
You don't know that's what he's doing.

if anybody ever wonders why industry professionals avoid forums like the plague...
In the general case we have just reason to question and criticise industry "professionals" given how many awful brick walled releases are produced. Many of them are only "professionals" in the strict sense that they get paid for doing it.

I looked through tons of pages of this thread to try and find it, but couldn't. Could someone tell me which Title/Chapter is that instrumental ambient mix that plays under the menu? I'd like to import it.
Look within folders BDMV -> STREAM and locate the '00000.m2ts' file. Which has a size of: 1,024,752KB. The duration is: 5 minutes 4 seconds ;)

In addition to that, there are other two files with the ambient mix menus that are slightly different.

00000.m2ts 5 min
00008.m2ts 3.58 min
00023.m2ts 3.58 min

I made a single MKV file from those three, concatenating them with mkvtoolnix.
You get then a total of 13 min with background changing menu (flying pig and cranes lights), with three sound tracks: one PCM 5.1 and two DTS-HD MA 5.1 that looks the same.

Reactions: PK
Question for the Floyd experts in the forum: when did the photo shooting sessions at Battersea take place? November or December 1976? I'd swear they happened in December, but in the booklet of the boxset, they captioned day 2 as Saturday 4th of November. According to the always reliable regular calendar, 4th of November was a Thursday and not a Saturday.
Is it possible they terribly messed up the dates?
(Changing topic completely, I'm listening to the vinyl now. Same as with the Blu-ray, what a bass! Not overwhelming at all, really potent and fleshly for a vinyl)
Edit:it's even worse, the captions are inconsistent, footnote 11 says Day 2 was on Saturday 4th whereas 21 reads Day 3 also on Saturday 4th.

Question for the Floyd experts in the forum: when did the photo shooting sessions at Battersea take place? November or December 1976? I'd swear they happened in December, but in the booklet of the boxset, they captioned day 2 as Saturday 4th of November. According to the always reliable regular calendar, 4th of November was a Thursday and not a Saturday.
(Changing topic completely, I'm listening to the vinyl now. Same as with the Blu-ray, what a bass! Not overwhelming at all, really potent and fleshly for a vinyl)
Edit:it's even worse, the captions are inconsistent, footnote 11 says Day 2 was on Saturday 4th whereas 21 reads Day 3 also on Saturday 4th.
I’d always read that it was a December photo shoot. As for the captions, it wouldn’t be a proper Floyd release without glaringly bad cockup’s. Proof read… nah why do that?

It was early December, it even got on the BBC TV News if my memory serves me correctly.

Note the refurbished Battersea Power Station has its opening today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63234124The glass lift that takes you up one of the chimneys sounds like a blast, I must visit.

There is even a picture of the pig tethered above it.
Wow, that's cool.
Has the Battersea Power Station been considered an historic landmark for quite some time or just recently? One thing is for sure, I don't think the "bright", refurbished building would produce the same feeling the old, dilapidated and dingy one did on the cover.

Has the Battersea Power Station been considered an historic landmark for quite some time or just recently?
Quite some time. It was made a listed building in the early 1980s before it closed as a power station. If that hadn't been done it would almost certainly have been demolished as much cheaper than repurposing it. The way they paid for this is to build a lot of expensive apartments around it. Unfortunately they are tall enough they block the view of the power station from all angles except the waterfront. There is considerable controversy about that.

I like the fact they had to ask the original brick manufacturers to make 1.75 million new matching bricks.

€51.99 is pretty expensive for a disc with less contents than the Blu Ray. And Europe realistically means EU Single Market, because the shipping then VAT and import duty to the UK would add a fair bit to that price. And the way the duties work it's on the total cost, so we pay VAT and import duty on the shipping costs even though we haven't imported those. It could end up at £100 to get one of these in your hands in the UK.

Back