Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After listening to this new mix of "Dogs" it appears to me that "Animals" finally will sound like a high fidelity recording, the same as all the other great Pink Floyd records from that period, like "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here", and "The Wall".

James really knocked this new stereo mix out of the park!
Can't wait to hear the other tracks and (of course) the 5.1 mix!

:)

I ordered it in that price range too, I just can't get why they can't make the SACD avaliable everywhere.
That said, I'm pretty sure that the bluray will suffice.
The BluRay will for sure more than suffice.
It will equal the SACD in sound quality, and be superior do to the extras included.
And they aren't a PITA to rip. ;)

Had one quick listen in the car and I have to say, those drums finally have some weight behind them! This mix totally reminds me of SWs Chicago II remix. Really opens everything up. Can’t wait to listen to this in surround.

The vocals sound fantastic, very clear and upfront, however I’m not sure I like the treatment on the snare, I prefer the drier sound on the original mix.

The YouTube video also seems to be unlisted as I can only access it from the link given here, not from the PF channel itself.

Can those with better hearing than this old codger, please highlight what they hear that's an improvement on the old mixes?

On a first listen, I can hear Wright a lot more, vocal echo from Gilmour being more prominent in some places, drums sound crisper.

Others?

Collating from comments so far: the mix overall is livelier, more open, higher in fidelity. Specifics: vocals are drier, clearer, more “upfront.” Bass is more prominent. Drums are “weightier” (snare is “wetter”) and cymbals are more distinct.

Collating from comments so far: the mix overall is livelier, more open, higher in fidelity. Specifics: vocals are drier, clearer, more “upfront.” Bass is more prominent. Drums are “weightier” (snare is “wetter”) and cymbals are more distinct.
That vocal echo really surprised me, it’s clear as day in the remix and going back to the original it is there but barely audible! I’m not used to hearing Animals this lively, I almost want to say I miss the murkiness of the original mix… but great to have both 😀

Guys and gals, time to let your jaws drop. Roger has said in an interview that Animals in 5.1 is coming, with reworked artwork (new pictures by Po, I'm still wondering what is wrong with the classic cover we all love). No dates though, listen here from 14:30 minutes mark on:
(news first spotted at pinkfloydz.com forum)

And it only took 4 years and 3 months from this first post to finally hear something!!!

Amazing mix in stereo! Brings everything to life, you can finally listen to the cymbals!
Makes the old mix sound outdated. Can't wait to listen to the 5.1
Had one quick listen in the car and I have to say, those drums finally have some weight behind them! This mix totally reminds me of SWs Chicago II remix. Really opens everything up. Can’t wait to listen to this in surround.
In the meantime, your AVR's Dolby Surround Upmixer, if you have one, will open it up a little more.

Guys and gals, time to let your jaws drop. Roger has said in an interview that Animals in 5.1 is coming, with reworked artwork (new pictures by Po, I'm still wondering what is wrong with the classic cover we all love).
Roger always has to find a way to be a PITA and make things difficult for all involved.
He wanted out, but just could never accept being told, "OK bye, we don't need you". :mad:

Back