Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to thank everyone who commented on the superior bass, complete with some timings of especially noteworthy moments. My amp and sub settings had been changed. Fixed now.

If you're not hearing That Bass, check your settings. Something is wrong.
There are several versions, and ways to play the Blu-ray. I noticed that the uncompressed version through the Analog direct connection was Lacking the depth and bass. When listening to the uncompressed Bitstream to my receiver's DTS-HD, the depth and bass was much better.

There are several versions, and ways to play the Blu-ray. I noticed that the uncompressed version through the Analog direct connection was Lacking the depth and bass. When listening to the uncompressed Bitstream to my receiver's DTS-HD, the depth and bass was much better.
Interesting. Maybe I should check the ripped DTS-HD. I usually just go with the LPCM when its available. I mean, how can lossless compression actually help anything? Maybe differences in the conversion equipment?

Interesting. Maybe I should check the ripped DTS-HD. I usually just go with the LPCM when its available. I mean, how can lossless compression actually help anything? Maybe differences in the conversion equipment?
You'll need to get the volume level's from the two sources matched to within 0.1db otherwise your sure to hear a difference between the two even when none exists. ;)

WYWH is also my favourite Pink Floyd album. DSOTM is close, but WYWH is better.

WYWH edges out DSotM as my #1 Floyd also. Pretty much a toss-up between Animals and Meddle for 3rd spot. Most days probably give the nod to Meddle, but this great surround mix currently has Animals a snout ahead...

An interesting poll would be ranking JG's Floyd surround mixes. I think Animals is his best yet (and from what I've read here, that seems to be the consensus). I have a feeling the reason why is less input from band members. Just a feeling though.

WYWH edges out DSotM as my #1 Floyd also. Pretty much a toss-up between Animals and Meddle for 3rd spot. Most days probably give the nod to Meddle, but this great surround mix currently has Animals a snout ahead...

An interesting poll would be ranking JG's Floyd surround mixes. I think Animals is his best yet (and from what I've read here, that seems to be the consensus). I have a feeling the reason why is less input from band members. Just a feeling though.
My only problem with WYWH is both the 4.0 and 5.1 mixes are lacklustre, I actually prefer it in stereo. The band admit the quad mix would probably have been better if they hadn't done it themselves.

My Animals BD has just arrived, hopefully the 5.1 lives up to the promise this thread shows. The packaging sucks as with most modern Pink Floyd releases, the cardboard sleeve is horrible. Why can't they just put it in a standard BD case like everyone else does?

Last edited:
I bought both the Blu-ray and the SACD. I want to see if can hear any differences between the two. I've only listed to the SACD so far. The packaging of the SACD is much, much nicer than that of the Blu-ray. Purchased from Elusive Disc they came inside a box big enough to hold an amplifier!
Given international shipping costs and the fact the SACD is exclusive to Acoustic Sounds, buying the SACD outside the US would cost me a small fortune. The BD by contrast came direct from Amazon UK.

I thought there were also test tones on the Amused to Death Blu Ray. I cant recall if they were on the WYWH Blu ray. And I don't own the DSOTM Blu ray.
oh right, i didn't know that 🙂 tbh i don't think i ever got round to opening my copy of the AMTD BD.. if i did i don't remember a thing about it! 😅🥴

I utilize bass management in my system (7.4.4 setup) which has all full range speakers and multiple subs arranged around the room. I employ a relatively high crossover point since I prefer bass frequencies to be reproduced by dedicated and quality subwoofers rather than the comparatively weak woofers in my main speakers. I can assure you that at least in my setup, there is more than enough bass in the Animals remix to frequently rattle the room and produce vibrations you can feel as well as hear. In addition, the side/rear channel activity is nearly constant, occasionally aggressive, and very satisfying from a surround perspective.

Since some of the comments indicate pretty radical differences in what people are hearing (weak bass, no center channel or image, little or no surround activity, etc.), I'm guessing that because of the way Guthrie did the mix, it may be more susceptible to system setup, speaker size/configuration, etc. than other surround mixes. Unfortunately that means some folks may have to tweak their system setup to get the most out of this mix.
you make very good points 🙂

fwiw just about everyone (imho) should consider utilizing Bass Management.

unless they have speakers the size of refrigerators and enough amplification to power half the street.. and even then they should still probably think about it.

also, i would say all mixes are susceptible to setup, even the "best" ones.

the number of times i've seen people comment about old Quad mixes ("the vocals are Off-centre", or "there's no Bass", or "the mix is too Rear-heavy" or "the mix is lop-sided") i'm chomping at the bit to say "setup! setup! setup!" but it seems its as bitter a pill to administer as it is to swallow! 😊

I finally listened to my SACD 5.1 of Animals. I love the clarity and separation of the instruments. The very few things that bothered me were the slight ambiance of Roger's voice on Pigs on the Wing part 1 & 2, a couple of small parts of guitar solo's that don't seem to have the impact they did on the original mix. Those things I'm sure I'll get over as I listen to it more. But one thing I need to try to fix (but not sure how) is the fluttering bass at a few spots during Pigs (Three Different Ones). It sounds awful. My first thought is changing the crossover but do I adjust it on my Oppo or on my sub? Or is there another solution? Does anyone else get the fluttering from P(3DO)?

My Animals BD has just arrived, hopefully the 5.1 lives up to the promise this thread shows. The packaging sucks as with most modern Pink Floyd releases, the cardboard sleeve is horrible. Why can't they just put it in a standard BD case like everyone else does?
I have to be honest, I was pleased the packaging was thin enough that it didn’t take up too much room in my music drawer. With the size of my collection, space is starting to become a finite resource. 🤪

Your disc label looks like they pulled it straight from the box set which is interesting, does anyone else’s blu ray have that label?
I think this is the same label for all Europe. I would have preferred the pig+sheep label but oh well, it's the music that counts.

Attachments

• 7AC9A41B-9CFE-41CE-AF4C-C1966F10C1F1.jpeg
    7AC9A41B-9CFE-41CE-AF4C-C1966F10C1F1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Given international shipping costs and the fact the SACD is exclusive to Acoustic Sounds, buying the SACD outside the US would cost me a small fortune. The BD by contrast came direct from Amazon UK.
Both the Blu-ray and SACD are available from Acoustic Sounds and from Elusive Disc. I ordered both from Acoustic Sounds and the shipping while not cheap wasn't that bad, in line with what many others charge. I ordered another SACD as well at the same time. The discs were packed in a very large box big enough to hold an amplifier or Blu-ray player! Shipping might be cheaper if more modest packaging had been used but at least there was no possible way of the discs getting damaged in transport!

Posted this on another forum, but I think it's relevant here:

The DSOTM stereo mix is sacrosanct, and I think Guthrie took the approach of trying to match every sound for the 5.1 mix. When the quad mix was made, Alan Parsons wasn't under the same constraints which explains the general feeling that the 5.1 mix of DSOTM was too safe compared to the quad mix. Same for WYWH for Guthrie.

For Animals, the band was not completely satisfied with the stereo mix and gave Guthrie freedom to mix it how he wanted. Cues were likely taken from the original mix, but he was not beholden to it and then felt some freedom with the 5.1 mix.

I don't think we should get our hopes up for what Guthrie will do for the Wall 5.1 mix. The stereo mix is also sacrosanct, but the production of the Wall is so complicated a 5.1 mix may sound slightly different (leading to complaints) but without the freedom to change things around.

Because plastic. The cardboard sleeve is from a renewable resource, possible at least partially recycled material. It makes sense and I am fine with it.

Back