Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WARNING!

The instruction as written may be hazardous to your equipment. I was taught that an amplifier should always have a load - this means that every channel of the amplifier should have a speaker or a resistor connected to it. To run an amp with the speaker outputs turned on, but with no load, might damage the amp. Can anyone else chime in with the electronics theory on this?

The correct way to do this, if you are using an amp with multichannel analog inputs, would be to disconnect the channel inputs to all but the center channel. The speakers would stay connected, but there would be no input signal other than the center. This would be safe for the amp.

The better option was the other suggestion - rip and boost, then probably duplicate the result to left and right mono.

I have always been a fan of listening to isolated channels of a multichannel mix. I also recommend checking the rears only of this mix. You can get a clearer idea of the surround intent by this method.
Got it - I understand your warning now. Thanks for the extra context!

Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a fun little easter egg hiding within the 5.1 mix. If you isolate and normalize the centre channel to 0dB there are basic mono instrumental mixes of Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones and Sheep just waiting to be discovered. Highly recommend!
The instrumental content of the centre channel is incomplete, I mean this is not a full low-volume instrumental mix. I'm listening to the centre channel of Pigs as I type and there are no keyboard parts, for example. I don't think this can be considered an intentional Easter Egg. It's more likely to be the result of an artistic choice that excludes the centre channel for vocals and other stuff. Interesting nonetheless, as a one-time listening experience.

Also I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but there's a fun little easter egg hiding within the 5.1 mix. If you isolate and normalize the centre channel to 0dB there are basic mono instrumental mixes of Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones and Sheep just waiting to be discovered. Highly recommend!
Agree with @albertop This is not an Easter Egg. Its just the way the 5.1 was mixed. Many releases only have low level signal in the center.

Easter eggs are accessible from a menu. This isn't.

Hello,
very interesting thread with many informations.
I´m still waiting for my box within the blu ray.
My question: Is there any difference (in the music) between BR and SACD??
Thanks for hearing, thinking and answer

The SACD "only" has the new 2018 stereo and surround mix (plus the new stereo mix on the CD layer in Redbook format).
The Bluray also has the original 1977 stereo mix in high-rez (+ the awesome menu music).

Absolutely blows my mind that this impressive release has received three 5 votes. That’s simply insane!
You have to be careful what you say on this forum about sensitive issues. In order of importance:

3) No politics
2) No religion, and above all...
1) Never a discouraging word when the topic is Pink Floyd.

No joke. I mentioned that I didn't like one little part of DSOTM, a release which I rated a 10. I almost got my cyber head chopped off and put on a pike. It was so bad that Urban had to intervene.

WARNING!

The instruction as written may be hazardous to your equipment. I was taught that an amplifier should always have a load - this means that every channel of the amplifier should have a speaker or a resistor connected to it.
That’s true for tube amps - the output transformer will overheat if there’s no load. But solid state amps, at least class A or AB, rarely use output transformers, so they can run unloaded just fine. We rarely loaded our prototype amps at Altec when they were under development. Sure, we tested with loads, but it was never an issue about damage.

You have to be careful what you say on this forum about sensitive issues. In order of importance:

3) No politics

No joke. I mentioned that I didn't like one little part of DSOTM, a release which I rated a 10. I almost got my cyber head chopped off and put on a pike. It was so bad that Urban had to intervene.
Have to admit, i wasn’t aware of that first law.

3) No politics

:unsure: One of my favourite bands, but...................does that apply to the Final Cut? :devilish::ROFLMAO:

The SACD "only" has the new 2018 stereo and surround mix (plus the new stereo mix on the CD layer in Redbook format).
The Bluray also has the original 1977 stereo mix in high-rez (+ the awesome menu music).
I know - but is there a difference in the sorroundmix between SACD and bluray?
not the cover, booklet I mean difference in the music (front, rear etc)
Thanks for your Infos

Back