HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - ANIMALS [Blu-Ray Audio/SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA/SACD of Pink Floyd - ANIMALS

• Total voters
Most definitely a 10. Everything you would want in a surround disc.
I bought the stand alone Blu Ray. delivered to my door for about $20.
Kudos to the record company for the chance to buy this without having to fork out a lot of cash for a Deluxe Box Set. (Did you hear that Beatles?)

As a side note, my future wife and I attended the tour for this album
in June of 1977 at Milwaukee Count Stadium. Surreal night.

I came up with a solution to the blu ray disc in and out problem, I stole one of the see through liners from my Doobie brothers Quadio box (I removed the liners a while back as I don’t think they are needed), now my disc is safe from future fingerprints 😀
Good idea, I just remembered I have some spare rice paper sleeves and used one for the Blu-ray. Packaging is very environmental friendly, but it sucks.

Good idea, I just remembered I have some spare rice paper sleeves and used one for the Blu-ray. Packaging is very environmental friendly, but it sucks.
Paper sleeves wont work unless they’re rounded instead of square, I tried that first

I set my expectations high on this one because of all the positive reviews, and on first listen last night, after listening to the Atmos mix of Speaking In Tongues, my expectations were exceeded! For both, I only used four full range channels, using the Oppo to mix down. Tongues was amazing too! Amazing we got both mixes in the same week! Both are so crankable! They just get better and better with more volume and they are so balanced. Easy 10...for both.

I have the bluray and I've only fully played it through once. It'll need more play before a vote. But I have to say, start to finish this release put a huge smile on my face. I agree with most of the superlative comments already written. Pigs (3 different ones) is the highlight for me here, closely followed by Sheep. Dogs is good, but more tame in comparison with the others. Maybe additional listening will change this.

I was never a fan of the original psalm part of Sheep. It's corny, and the vocoder processing made it pretty unintelligible. But here, with the effects coming from the rears and the voice up front, its much more understandable. Still corny though.

I love the menu sound collage.

Whatever they did with the bass processing is most welcome.

Guthrie always had an ability to make the sonics shine, and this album does that in spades. He has accomplished that with every PF related release he has been involved with. But the big news here is he finally put out a winning mix. Very impressive.
First time thru for me, and I could not believe how good Gilmore's guitar was during the closing of Dogs. I too was looking out the window during Pigs for overhead aircraft.

I voted a 10 for the material, a 9 for the surround mixes, and a 10 and a thank you to Pink Floyd for giving everyone a choice of of formats / and different price points instead of just placing the surround mixes in an expensive box set. I voted a 10 overall for the blu ray single disc.
This is how you should release 5.1 / Atmos surround mixes IMO. I hope people stay away from purchasing The Beatles / Revolver Super Deluxe - for trying to steer people to streaming after supporting their box sets for years now.

I voted a 10 for the material, a 9 for the surround mixes, and a 10 and a thank you to Pink Floyd for giving everyone a choice of of formats / and different price points instead of just placing the surround mixes in an expensive box set. I voted a 10 overall for the blu ray single disc.
This is how you should release 5.1 / Atmos surround mixes IMO. I hope people stay away from purchasing The Beatles / Revolver Super Deluxe - for trying to steer people to streaming after supporting their box sets for years now.
If the mix is great, and lossless, I don't have an issue with downloading it. I haven't physically loaded digital media to listen to in nearly a decade.

Back