Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's probably not about hating each other, or retaliation blocking. Wasn't Waters objection to the Meddle and OBC 5.1 mixes that he hadn't heard them? (which raises all kind of other questions....why in the heck didn't he hear them....with all the time that went into planning that set, how do you get to the point of preparing release, and realize, oh crap, we never scheduled in time for a band member to hear them, and now we have to scrub this.....) But what comes to mind is this line from an interivew with James Guthrie talking about the 5.1 mix of speak to me on DSOTM

“It’s basically made up of speaking voices. When the band finished listening to the initial mix, I was surprised that their first comments related to the album’s various speaking voices. And then I realized I had awoken a 30-year-old argument. In 1973, Roger and David had disagreed about those voices. Roger wanted them to be drier and more intelligible. David wanted them to be wetter and more mysterious. In the end, we compromised—the same way they did in 1973.”

There were creative differences all along, things that were hashed out and compromised in the original mixes. Bring up the multi-tracks again....and you reopen these years old arguments, and have to go through the same exercise again.

I suppose we should consider it a miracle that 2 5.1 remixes of their albums got signed off on at all.

Stubborn old millionaires. A horrible lot really. They're all shorter of breath and one day closer to death. Can't they just say "Fuck it" and get along. Once the first one's gone the other will do whatever they like anyway, so what's the point?

It is mind boggling. They apparently sit around and argue the merits of re-releasing past works and yet Roger & David don't seem to have trouble releasing their own less than legendary solo material. I am thinking of Is This the Life We Really Want? & Rattle That Lock

**apologies to those of you who think those 2 are in a class something like Meddle, OBC, or Animals.

I would have guessed David was the one opposing to Animals release, but Nick also blocking it? There has to be something more that Roger is not confessing in the interview

I was wondering the same thing. As far as I know, Nick and Roger have never feuded. And I'm surprised that I'm the only one asking why the article seems to treat a vinyl reissue and 5.1 as the same thing.

I was wondering the same thing. As far as I know, Nick and Roger have never feuded. And I'm surprised that I'm the only one asking why the article seems to treat a vinyl reissue and 5.1 as the same thing.

I watched the full 45 minute interview with Roger on the Rolling Stone web site. If I remember correctly, he only mentions a vinyl reissue of Animals. The article on the other site may be jumping to connect the dots.

Oof. So as @doppelbock said above: put out both mixes. Or else put aside your grudges for the length of the pandemic. Either way: do your fans a favor.

There's absolutely no way they would create two different mixes, because that means paying two different engineers to do exactly the same work, which obviously cuts down on the profit they can generate from such a release.

There's absolutely no way they would create two different mixes, because that means paying two different engineers to do exactly the same work, which obviously cuts down on the profit they can generate from such a release.
Oh yeah, I don’t think for a second there’s even the remotest of chances of them doing that, but I’d also say that given the money they already have and what they have been charging for immersion sets, paying two engineers shouldn’t be such a burden on their bottom lines.

Turn the bickering into some good marketing - here’s different interpretations of the work(s) by our engineers Parsons, Guthrie and Jackson....just like an orchestral conductor does their interpretation of a classical piece.

of course they’d probably squabble over what order they appear in the menus.

Here's my solution -

Let Mr Guthrie mix them all in 5.1
Let Mr Jackson mix them all in 5.1

Do a blu-ray only "Immersion" set, each disc containing both mixes and hi-rez 2ch stereo mix. Toss in any old 4ch quad mixes as bonus material.

Who's in?
But Guthrie works at the speed of a glacier, even with global warming that is a long time

Uh oh ....

Why Pink Floyd Can’t Agree on an ‘Animals’ Reissue

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-tour-postponed-2021-984579/
Read More: Why Pink Floyd Can't Agree on an 'Animals' Reissue | Why Pink Floyd Can't Agree on an 'Animals' Reissue

“Waters also revealed that the discussion with Gilmour and Mason was focused on reissues. “[The conversation] was just can we release the remastered vinyl of Animals without it turning into the third World War?” he explained, referring to the 5.1 surround sound mix of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album, which has been in the works for more than two years now.

“I actually suggested going democratic,” Waters noted. “I said, ‘Why don’t we just have a vote? There’s only three of us. And then we can decide all those like that.’ And at least we can just get on. But they wouldn’t have that. They didn’t want it.””

That's quite common with reissues when a group or band is involved.
Often one or more members won't approve of a reissue - or won't sign off on the remaster or remix after it has been completed and the whole thing grinds to a halt and the reissue doesn't get released.

As I've said in the past, sometimes it is a wonder with all the hurdles in place, that we see reissues at all! :)

Geesus what a bunch of dysfunctional old wankers....is it greed, pride, jealousy or they simply hate each other? If they wait too long to release this 70s material they are passing an opportunity to cater to those interested in 5.1...I couldn't care less about the vinyl, already have Animals on vinyl from the original release. Millennials don't care for the surround format and many don't even know who PF was...its boomers and gen x who are their primary fan base...sorry for venting but I've been looking forward to this release since adverts were posted back in 2018...

I don't know about that. David, Nick, and Richard were the ones that had to tolerate all of Rogers' nastiness and fighting during the law suite years. Nick may have looked at things as water under the bridge a little more than David in the later years but I don't believe they're too friendly.

I'm pretty sure that Nick was the one who got them all speaking again, even if it didn't last.

I don't see Nick inviting Roger to be any part of the Saucerful project?
[/QUOTE

Uhhh...

Excuse me but personally I have no use for Roger or his politics. He wanted out, he got it, now stay out. :mad:

It's still his music, at least in part.

Isn’t part of the issue revolve around James Guthrie and Andy Jackson? Maybe David & Nick are blocking because Waters didn’t approve of Jackson’s mix of Obscured by Clouds & Meddle?

There's no doubt in my mind that this didn't help matters.

Back