Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 years from now the market for this album will be mostly gone

We want the 5.1 of Animals released, but they don't need the Money :(

and as you allude so did PF………."And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun"

I listened to the album today while I was out walking and, in case anyone has forgotten, it's a cracking album from start to finish. It seems to me that The Beatles wouldn't have been The Beatles without Ringo Starr and his unorthodox drumming patterns (all the other ingredients notwithstanding), and Pink Floyd just wouldn't have become the Pink Floyd I know and love had Dave Gilmour not joined the band - boy, the man can play guitar!

Geesus what a bunch of dysfunctional old wankers....is it greed, pride, jealousy or they simply hate each other? If they wait too long to release this 70s material they are passing an opportunity to cater to those interested in 5.1...I couldn't care less about the vinyl, already have Animals on vinyl from the original release. Millennials don't care for the surround format and many don't even know who PF was...its boomers and gen x who are their primary fan base...sorry for venting but I've been looking forward to this release since adverts were posted back in 2018...
They’ll probably feud until the day they die after which the record company will take over and do the re-issue. Fortunately, for me, I’m young enough to out live them all and the wait will be worth it. But, still got my fingers crossed for something sooner.

There's absolutely no way they would create two different mixes, because that means paying two different engineers to do exactly the same work, which obviously cuts down on the profit they can generate from such a release.
Doubt it’s a money issue. Gilmour sold his guitar collection for $20M and gave it all to charity and Waters netted about $300M on the Wall tour and could have done it with lower production costs and netted more than he did. It’s two A-type/Alpha-wolf personalities who both want their way and not willing to concede anything to the other.

There's another factor to be taken into account, I think. Acoustic Sounds even advertised the SACD (together with WYWH and DSOTM) and I guess some kind of contract must have been in place with them. Another story is that the contract allows withdrawing any of the records or delaying them, like it happened with DSOTM reissue and now with Animals. I bet both delays are related too.

There's another factor to be taken into account, I think. Acoustic Sounds even advertised the SACD (together with WYWH and DSOTM) and I guess some kind of contract must have been in place with them. Another story is that the contract allows withdrawing any of the records or delaying them, like it happened with DSOTM reissue and now with Animals. I bet both delays are related too.

There is always a contract or licensing agreement for reissues with the record label and artist which includes payments and a minimum licensing guarantee amount.
But the agreement often includes approval rights by the record label and artist to review and approve the remastered album before release.

Which means that just because something has been licensed, there is no guarantee that it will be released if the required approvals are not given.

They’ll probably feud until the day they die after which the record company will take over and do the re-issue. Fortunately, for me, I’m young enough to out live them all and the wait will be worth it. But, still got my fingers crossed for something sooner.

Actually it would be the heirs of the band that would "take over" in terms of whether a reissue was approved - or not.
Not the record label.

There is a little discussion on the Hoffman forum.
A guy swears that he has a quad version of Animals from a Q8.
Everyone is telling him it's an Upmix. That there was an Animals Q8 advertised but never released.
Or could have been a fan-made version from stems ?
Can one of our QQ experts chime in on this ?

There is a little discussion on the Hoffman forum.
A guy swears that he has a quad version of Animals from a Q8.
Everyone is telling him it's an Upmix. That there was an Animals Q8 advertised but never released.
Or could have been a fan-made version from stems ?
Can one of our QQ experts chime in on this ?
Unless I misread the post he didn't swear that he had it, only that it existed. Which it doesn't.

I was watching a video recently on how we can become a more trauma-responsive society and the speaker, Dr. Bruce D. Perry, said that sometimes when opposition of progress is so entrenched - which it often is - change can really only come about when those with rock-solid views up and die. Sometimes that's the only way the cogs can get moving.

I hope that's not the case with Pink Floyd, but that's what it might take if we're to ever hear the stuff that's out there, but is securely locked in a vault.

I know this video has been shared in at least one other spot on QQ, but it also belongs here amongst the "Animals" discussion because the issues between Roger & David are affecting its release!

Never saw this before. I always thought Roger was the fly in the ointment, but after watching this, I think I was wrong. You'd think after all these years, these guys could put their differences aside and just look at this as businessmen. It certainly doesn't help that Animals was primarily a Waters piece of work. And it also doesn't help that the fans who made Pink Floyd don't really seem to factor into any of this. :mad:

Never saw this before. I always thought Roger was the fly in the ointment, but after watching this, I think I was wrong. You'd think after all these years, these guys could put their differences aside and just look at this as businessmen. It certainly doesn't help that Animals was primarily a Waters piece of work. And it also doesn't help that the fans who made Pink Floyd don't really seem to factor into any of this. :mad:

I think it's been clear ever since that Live 8 reunion that Roger yearns for them to be able to at least be civil with each other and Dave is unable to do that. Can't fault anyone I don't think we know all the details, but it's a huge shame. Whatever was done or said in the past, there has to come a time when you can forgive and move on, especially with so much history together. Very sad.

I think it's been clear ever since that Live 8 reunion that Roger yearns for them to be able to at least be civil with each other and Dave is unable to do that. Can't fault anyone I don't think we know all the details, but it's a huge shame. Whatever was done or said in the past, there has to come a time when you can forgive and move on, especially with so much history together. Very sad.
Your right it is a shame but sometimes you burn a bridge that's not rebuild-able. I've had that happen with a few friends over the years and can fully understand David's position. I'm with him there, I have no use for Roger in any form, I won't go into details, that's already been done elsewhere here. I believe David did something he really didn't want to do, the Live 8 concert, but put aside his personal feelings for a charitable cause he felt strongly about. Many thought that would bring about a further reconciliation but it's clear now after 15 years that's not going to happen.

Hey Roger, leave those kids alone.
All in all it's just another Brick In The Wall

Back