Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the fact that Roger was part of the group for Animals that the David faction just doesn't care or want to put the thing out.

In a recent interview regarding the "Later Years" Box Set, Andy Jackson and Aubrey Powell were asked about a deluxe edition of "Animals". Here's what they had to say:

One thing fans wonder about, however, is a deluxe package of Animals, which is the one album that's not been treated in that manner yet. Will it happen?
Jackson:
There's nothing other than the album to be had out of that. There are no leftovers or anything like that. There were prototype versions (of the songs) but they've already been out. There's no further expansion to be made out of that (album).
Powell: I've asked Nick this question five times in the last year or so. I've certainly been working on a couple of things related to Animals and... let’s see. It's certainly in discussion, and I can't commit to more than that. But fingers crossed that something might appear in the future. We'll see what happens.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8545879/pink-floyd-the-later-years-box-set
I find this interview fully loaded with positivity in regards to Animals coming out in a special edition. I find it more than a bit misleading in some regards as well. I must be either pretty sharp or delusional and reading into things that simply are not there.

This is what I read:
1. He’s not able to reveal what is going on with Animals
2. The Animals album is being worked on for a future release.
3. There is nothing else to include which is a false statement when we know there is another version of Pigs on the Wing, and a ton of graphics available for a book / booklet.
We’ll see what happens - but “I can’t say what” is quite the promise of something imo.

So a high-def Stereo remaster, a 5.1 mix, an additional rare track and a book filled with additional artwork from ‘77 is not to me a sign of nothing at all left to release. Toss in a demo or two from Roger’s personal stash, and you have a really nice deluxe edition for the fan. Not quite an Immersion set like DSOTM or WYWH, but nice enough that I’d buy it.

What am I missing?

I find this interview fully loaded with positivity in regards to Animals coming out in a special edition. I find it more than a bit misleading in some regards as well. I must be either pretty sharp or delusional and reading into things that simply are not there.

This is what I read:
1. He’s not able to reveal what is going on with Animals
2. The Animals album is being worked on for a future release.
3. There is nothing else to include which is a false statement when we know there is another version of Pigs on the Wing, and a ton of graphics available for a book / booklet.
We’ll see what happens - but “I can’t say what” is quite the promise of something imo.

So a high-def Stereo remaster, a 5.1 mix, an additional rare track and a book filled with additional artwork from ‘77 is not to me a sign of nothing at all left to release. Toss in a demo or two from Roger’s personal stash, and you have a really nice deluxe edition for the fan. Not quite an Immersion set like DSOTM or WYWH, but nice enough that I’d buy it.

What am I missing?
The AP add says 5.1 mix by James Guthrie and they even give it a catalogue number !!!

The AP add says 5.1 mix by James Guthrie and they even give it a catalogue number !!!
And AP release is on hold. Why would it be on hold one might ask? Because there are more goodies to add, I say. AP will get the version missing some of the goodies just like they did with the WYWH SACD.

Last edited:
Animals has something in common with the Beatles Let it Be film and album remix, recut, and reissue project.

After these respective projects are released, there will not be a whole lot of other things they can do with what’s left. Some new projects sure, but not on the level we’ve seen in recent years from each band.
So taking some time - getting things out, and collecting sales on other box sets for the time being is advantageous from their point of view.

On the other hand, the bulk of original fans and many buyers who must have everything are dying off now and over the next 4-5 years. These bands and management know this.

We will see both Animals and Let it Be right around the corner.

I'd actually be more inclined to buy something like that vs. a fully-loaded Immersion set. In fact, that sounds like just enough material for one of those 'book-style' releases that Jethro Tull and Marillion have been doing. Picture something like this:
Disc 1 - CD - Original Stereo Mix
Disc 2 - CD - New Stereo Mix
Disc 3 - CD - Demos (whatever the previously released "prototype versions" are)
Disc 4 - Blu-Ray or SACD or DVD-V (whichever they prefer) - Stereo & 5.1 Remixes

I mean, it's not like there are bands of similar vintage producing (and selling out of) reissues like the above :unsure:

I'd actually be more inclined to buy something like that vs. a fully-loaded Immersion set. In fact, that sounds like just enough material for one of those 'book-style' releases that Jethro Tull and Marillion have been doing. Picture something like this:
Disc 4 - Blu-Ray or SACD or DVD-V (whichever they prefer) - Stereo & 5.1 Remixes

I mean, it's not like there are bands of similar vintage producing (and selling out of) reissues like the above :unsure:
The version of “Pigs on the Wing” from the 8-track cartridge is a must-have bonus track. It’s sitting there waiting for inclusion on a reissued set.

Disc 4 - incl. Unreleased Quad?
(if it exists)

That's the one with the tasty Snowy White lead guitar. There is a stereo version on a Snowy White CD compilation.
I didn’t know that the 8-track cart was mono.

But anyway - see why they are wrong in saying there’s nothing to add to this album as a reissue.

Last edited:
if there ain't much to release for a box set the logical thing to do is add the Blu ray Guthrie 5.1 mix and have someone else mix a very Parson like 4.1 or 4.0 mix with the snowy solo in it.
Given the long delay in this release that may already be happening.

And AP release is on hold. Why would it be on hold one night ask? Because there are more goodies to add, I say. AP will get the version missing some of the goodies just like they did with the WYWH SACD.
It has more to do with the current disharmony (to put it mildly) between Guthrie/Waters and Gilmour than anything else.

That's the one with the tasty Snowy White lead guitar. There is a stereo version on a Snowy White CD compilation.

The Snowy White compilation is called Goldtop, and a version of Pigs On The Wing is included, but it is not identical to the 8 Track release of Animals. There is a noticeable edit in the Snowy comp version at 1:22 where the Snowy solo enters. I have never compared the Snowy versions directly to the Floyd versions to see what is different, but there is a difference. Aside from just the extra guitar solo. I suspect that the guitar solo is the only part from the 8 track on the snowy comp, and it is spliced into the standard release versions of part 1 & part 2. Would have to go back to verify this.

In reading the liner notes further, I see that Pigs On The Wing was "specially remixed by Floyd's engineer for this CD." So the original 8 track mix remains un-issued other than on the 8 track itself.

The Snowy White compilation is called Goldtop, and a version of Pigs On The Wing is included, but it is not identical to the 8 Track release of Animals. There is a noticeable edit in the Snowy comp version at 1:22 where the Snowy solo enters. I have never compared the Snowy versions directly to the Floyd versions to see what is different, but there is a difference. Aside from just the extra guitar solo. I suspect that the guitar solo is the only part from the 8 track on the snowy comp, and it is spliced into the standard release versions of part 1 & part 2. Would have to go back to verify this.

In reading the liner notes further, I see that Pigs On The Wing was "specially remixed by Floyd's engineer for this CD." So the original 8 track mix remains un-issued other than on the 8 track itself.
Awesome. Thanks !

IMG_20191209_212042.jpg

I will have to be satisfied with 1st Japan CD release for now. 1985 Japan for Australia.

I really do want this in surround/Quad soon, its like a later day Meddle to me, a Holy Grail of Floyd, I remember getting back to my student house and sticking the LP on the day it was released, and a few of my housemates coming in and listening as well.

:unsure: we've had marbles, scarfs etc. with earlier sets, we won't get an in inflatable pig (or will we?) .................... :eek: maybe some artificial sheep sh*t? :devilish:

Back