Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed. That "holophonics" never really worked out for me when I listened to it.

Did anyone actually get a 3D effect when listening to it on headphones? This goes for "Pros and Cons" as well...

Yes - particularly the jet at the very end of "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" and the motorcar sounds at the beginning and end of the album.

Never saw this before. I always thought Roger was the fly in the ointment, but after watching this, I think I was wrong.

I had a very different reaction to the video. I get the feeling Roger is not telling the whole story. He also seems to be expecting the estates of deceased members to have a voting right in band decisions, which may or may not be part of the existing agreement on how the band makes decisions.

This most recent fracas seems to come from the 2016 Early Years set. Some mixes were pulled at the last minute, and things seem to have been very cold between Waters and Gilmour ever since. Gilmour may have been very reactive by banning Rog's material from the PF site, but Rog complaining about Polly Sampson doesn't do anything for me either. It comes off as petty and personal.

At this point, I've little interest in hearing from Dave or Rog anymore. I'm giving them low marks across the board.

Gilmour may have been very reactive by banning Rog's material from the PF site, but Rog complaining about Polly Sampson doesn't do anything for me either. It comes off as petty and personal.
Interesting that where Yoko is concerned, she's the antichrist at minimum, but in this case it's petty and personal. I wonder why that is.

Of course he's not telling the whole story and is using convenient facts to boost his side of things.
No one ever tells the whole story, we all interpret our stories through our own eyes. It takes two.

Interesting that where Yoko is concerned, she's the antichrist at minimum, but in this case it's petty and personal. I wonder why that is.

No one ever tells the whole story, we all interpret our stories through our own eyes. It takes two.

Let me clear something up for you. I do not harbor ill will towards Yoko Ono. I find the way some people vilify her to be unfair at best.

I very much dislike your implication that my opinions are based on something so nasty that you can only hint at what it is rather than just come out and say it. It's also possible I misunderstood you, so I'll listen to any explanation you have with an open mind.

Regarding this latest video from Roger, whatever the real story is, we are on the losing end of it once again.

Indeed. That "holophonics" never really worked out for me when I listened to it.

Did anyone actually get a 3D effect when listening to it on headphones? This goes for "Pros and Cons" as well...
I could finally hear it in the 24/96 copy of the original stereo mix on the bluray for Amused To Death. I don't hear anything on the CD edition above the shrill squeak of whatever mastering disaster it was treated to. AtD was post-vinyl days more or less and I only had the CD before the bluray. (That CBS edition with the Sony super bit mapping dither on a gold CD even! Which sounded just like the regular edition.) Moot point with the 5.1 remix IMHO.
I have Pros and Cons on vinyl. (Is there a genuine unmolested 24 bit edition of this available yet? Don't think so...) I don't hear any 3D effect on this but I DO hear a VERY well done stereo mix that just hits the 'audiophile' buttons right out of the gate! Best EC has ever sounded on album no matter who you are or what of his you a fan of.

I could finally hear it in the 24/96 copy of the original stereo mix on the bluray for Amused To Death. I don't hear anything on the CD edition above the shrill squeak of whatever mastering disaster it was treated to. AtD was post-vinyl days more or less and I only had the CD before the bluray. (That CBS edition with the Sony super bit mapping dither on a gold CD even! Which sounded just like the regular edition.) Moot point with the 5.1 remix IMHO.
I have Pros and Cons on vinyl. (Is there a genuine unmolested 24 bit edition of this available yet? Don't think so...) I don't hear any 3D effect on this but I DO hear a VERY well done stereo mix that just hits the 'audiophile' buttons right out of the gate! Best EC has ever sounded on album no matter who you are or what of his you a fan of.

I think you are referring to Q Sound for ATD. Here are the definitions:

Holophonics is a binaural recording system created by Hugo Zuccarelli that is based on the claim that the human auditory system acts as an interferometer. It relies on phase variance, just like stereophonic sound. The sound characteristics of holophonics are most clearly heard through headphones, though they can be effectively demonstrated with two-channel stereo speakers, provided that they are phase-coherent. The word "holophonics" is related to "acoustic hologram". Used on The Final Cut and Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking .

QSound is the original name for a positional three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm from QSound Labs that creates 3D audio effects from multiple monophonic sources and sums the outputs to two channels for presentation over regular stereo speakers. Used on Amused to Death.

I was able to be blown away by QSound when ATD first came out. I sat directly in between large speakers that my dad had and it was really impressive.

I first read about holophonics in the Nick Shaffner book on Pink Floyd, and the headphones never made me feel anything was directional. The explosion on Get Your Filthy... just sounded loud, not like it flew overhead and exploded in front of me.

I also remember for A Momentary Lapse of Reason there was a reference to "spherical sound". At the time, I read that it was like Holophonics but the emphasis was on speakers rather than headphones. I only remember spherical just sounding really "deep" but no more directional than Holophonics.

There are 24 bit editions of both Pros & Cons and KAOS being offered by HDTracks.

QSound is the original name for a positional three-dimensional (3D) sound processing algorithm from QSound Labs that creates 3D audio effects from multiple monophonic sources and sums the outputs to two channels for presentation over regular stereo speakers. Used on Amused to Death.

I was able to be blown away by QSound when ATD first came out. I sat directly in between large speakers that my dad had and it was really impressive.

I remember listening to ATD for the first time on headphones. There is a song where a phone rings (sorry, can't remember the title offhand), but I literally took my headphones off and answered my phone thinking it was my phone ringing in the background.

One day we'll get them. Sadly I think that's going to be after they're all gone.
I think you’re probably right. What an absolute waste. They may be rich beyond any of our wildest dreams. But very poor in spirit to carry around that sort of vitriol and hatred toward one another. They can’t even agree
One day we'll get them. Sadly I think that's going to be after they're all gone.
I think you’re probably right. What an absolute waste. They may be rich beyond any of our wildest dreams. But very poor in spirit to carry around that sort of vitriol and hatred toward one another. It’s their music but you’d think they’d be more grateful to the fans who put them in the position they’re in. Plenty of money so no f***s given about the people who actually want this released.

Back