Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I liked Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones) and Sheep in that order (the 8-track version of Pigs on the Wing is nice too). I always thought it was a shame Gilmour wouldn't play ANY of them on tour. He avoids that album and The Final Cut like the plague.

That's a shame too. I love The Final Cut. I even wrote a paper in college on Two Suns In The Sunset back in the 1990s (got an A, of course). Hell, I'd think even Gilmour would at least like Not Now John given how awesome his guitar solo is on the song (and a few others). But I think it was such bad history he'd rather forget the entire album. I think he even said as such in very similar words, if I remember my Nicholas Schaffner biography correctly.

I liked Dogs, Pigs (Three Different Ones) and Sheep in that order (the 8-track version of Pigs on the Wing is nice too). I always thought it was a shame Gilmour wouldn't play ANY of them on tour. He avoids that album and The Final Cut like the plague.

That's a shame too. I love The Final Cut. I even wrote a paper in college on Two Suns In The Sunset back in the 1990s (got an A, of course). Hell, I'd think even Gilmour would at least like Not Now John given how awesome his guitar solo is on the song (and a few others). But I think it was such bad history he'd rather forget the entire album. I think he even said as such in very similar words, if I remember my Nicholas Schaffner biography correctly.
It seems that NONE of the band like Animals. I don't get that. It's always been my favorite Pink Floyd album.

It seems that NONE of the band like Animals. I don't get that. It's always been my favorite Pink Floyd album.

Even stranger, they used to play a couple of those songs live all the time clear back to the DSOTM tour (maybe even earlier in even more primitive forms) as that was how they built many of their songs (testing stuff out on the road and polishing it until the turd turned to gold). They had different names and lyrics and to some extent music, but were extremely similar (i.e Sheep was "Raving and Drooling"; Dogs was "You Gotta Be Crazy"). So, it was good enough for them then, but too bad now? I think Gilmour didn't mind the music back then. He hated the excess lyrics Roger added (some bits about having to just strike lines through entire sections because Roger wanted lyrics constantly with almost no music only parts). He possibly just resents the whole thing at this point? He seemed to like Sheep better than the others, though.

You can tell Roger likes them, though. Oddly, he seems to prefer Dogs and Pigs (all versions) rather than Sheep (opposite of Gilmour) as he had both in the Us & Them tour. I could have sworn he played Sheep in Columbus in 1999, though (right after Dogs) as I distinctly recall it being impressive that they could match that synth sound to his voice so well live and I thought the song already started playing (I thought there would be an opening band) was Run Like Hell, but setlist.fm and even a bootleg DVD says otherwise so I guess my memory is faulty (everything else looks correct, though).

Rewatching a big chunk of the boot of the Columbus gig cleared a few things up (it sucks to get old and thinking back to the 1994 Floyd tour as the first one I saw live I'm feeling even older when I realize that was 26 years ago, one year out of high school....ouch. It seems like yesterday. I even remember what I had for dinner before the show at the Galleria in Cleveland. Teriyaki chicken at the food court!)

The funny thing is I've had the official DVD of the Portland show for like 14 years or something and never watched it, believe it or not (don't ask why; I don't even know. I just avoided it like the plague for some weird reason). I finally fired it up and hell it was like watching the same concert I went to only in better quality (OK so it was the same gig other than leaving some bits out of the DVD and adding one song). I dunno. I ended up comparing Pink Floyd and Waters and Gilmour concert footage across 4 decades.... A few songs you can compare on everything from Nick Mason's Saucerful concert to Live in Pompeii to In The Flesh (e.g. Set The Controls For The Heart of the Sun!) It'd be nice if there were some footage from the other '70s concerts and the original Wall tour (I know they filmed that one).

Rewatching a big chunk of the boot of the Columbus gig cleared a few things up (it sucks to get old and thinking back to the 1994 Floyd tour as the first one I saw live I'm feeling even older when I realize that was 26 years ago, one year out of high school....ouch. It seems like yesterday. I even remember what I had for dinner before the show at the Galleria in Cleveland. Teriyaki chicken at the food court!)

The funny thing is I've had the official DVD of the Portland show for like 14 years or something and never watched it, believe it or not (don't ask why; I don't even know. I just avoided it like the plague for some weird reason). I finally fired it up and hell it was like watching the same concert I went to only in better quality (OK so it was the same gig other than leaving some bits out of the DVD and adding one song). I dunno. I ended up comparing Pink Floyd and Waters and Gilmour concert footage across 4 decades.... A few songs you can compare on everything from Nick Mason's Saucerful concert to Live in Pompeii to In The Flesh (e.g. Set The Controls For The Heart of the Sun!) It'd be nice if there were some footage from the other '70s concerts and the original Wall tour (I know they filmed that one).
You have a bootleg of that Columbus show? I also was there and it was my senior year of high school.

An official DVD of the Portland show?! What's it called?! Never heard of it!

You have a bootleg of that Columbus show? I also was there and it was my senior year of high school.

That was my senior year in college. I found it online yesterday linked on Guitars101.com to a Mega Drive free download. It has like 4 cameras edited. For a boot, it's pretty good. The official DVD looks like a pro version of the same concert, more or less. I was sitting off to the left and back several rows of the stage (1st row balcony).

An official DVD of the Portland show?! What's it called?! Never heard of it!

The official Roger Waters "In The Flesh" concert DVD says Rose Garden Arena, Portland Oregon (2000) right at the start of the program. It's on Amazon right now.

That was my senior year in college. I found it online yesterday linked on Guitars101.com to a Mega Drive free download. It has like 4 cameras edited. For a boot, it's pretty good. The official DVD looks like a pro version of the same concert, more or less. I was sitting off to the left and back several rows of the stage (1st row balcony).

The official Roger Waters "In The Flesh" concert DVD says Rose Garden Arena, Portland Oregon (2000) right at the start of the program. It's on Amazon right now.
Thought you were talking about a PINK FLOYD not ROGER WATERS DVD......thought this was a chat about Animals 5.1 not about ROGER WATERS :) (y)

Thought you were talking about a PINK FLOYD not ROGER WATERS DVD......thought this was a chat about Animals 5.1 not about ROGER WATERS :) (y)

Drifted off a bit from this post referring to Roger playing Animals songs LIVE. Sorry if you're offended.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nd-sacd-analogue-prods-2019.24798/post-529703
I just read Roger's interview bit about Animals 5.1 (I'm sure it was mentioned earlier, but I came a bit late) (See Why Pink Floyd Can't Agree on an 'Animals' Reissue). Was there ever any reply back from Gilmour or Mason about the meeting from their POV?

Last edited:
As disturbing as that incidence with Roger spitting on a fan at the end of the Animals tour (maybe the guy deserved it even if it wasn't professional?), agreeing about "control" of the new albums and touring is a lot different from agreeing on releasing a 5.1 mix that neither one of them did.... I hate to say it, but based on those mighty expensive box sets Gilmour has been releasing, Gilmour has struck me as greedy over the years, releasing live set after live set instead of the new albums they COULD have made after 1994 (I mean what if you just want the 5.1 mix of A Momentary Lapse of Reason? Should you have to pony out $150-250 to get it?). I see (and ordered) the HD version of The Delicate Sound of Thunder, but given how little I watch/listen to the live stuff compared to the studio stuff, I'd rather just see a 5.1 CD or BD or SACD or AMLOR.

Frankly, I'm still disgusted they didn't make another Pink Floyd studio album (not counting Endless River meandering unfinished stuff rejected from The Division Bell, which isn't that different from the rejected stuff from The Wall ending up in The Final Cut, except that The Final Cut had several good songs on it, some written new afterwards (they weren't all Wall rejects). Gilmour's solo stuff is OK, but it's mostly blues/drifty stuff (I've fallen asleep literally a few times listening to On An Island before. The track most hate the most (Take A Breath) is the only one that keeps me awake and reminds me of Pink Floyd. He essentially expanded Marooned into an entire album of Jimmy Buffet meets Pink Floyd, IMO except Margaritaville is more lively sounding). Rattle That Lock didn't do much of anything for me, but then neither did "Is This What We Really Want" from Roger. I feel like The Division Bell from Gilmour and Company and Amused To Death by Roger were the last truly Pink Floyd sounding albums from either of them. That was exciting when those both came out within a year of each other (sadly Roger didn't go on tour until 1999 to cover any of it, though). It was like Pink Floyd putting out two excellent albums in one year.

I wonder if that is due to David not being happy about it: I recall Snowy said Dave & Roger had a big row the day he went to the studio to meet them

Apparently Roger had accidentally erased one of Dave's solos ( could it have been that one? or was it "Dogs"? ) and Dave thought it wasn't an accident at all. But I do recall reading the recording console/tape deck they were using was new to them, so it could well have been an accident

Dave left, and Roger asked Snowy to play a solo on it

someone correct me if I'm wrong

aha, thanks for that!!

I did pick up Snowy's "white flames" album, I think at a Roger Waters concert, he had them at the merch table?

along with Nick Sedgwick's book "in the pink" which is a very interesting read
This is the compilation you're looking for: Snowy White ‎– Goldtop: Groups & Sessions 1974–1994

Back