Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's a remix that cranks Snowy's bit way, way up.
The Snowy White version of Pigs On The Wing that appears on his compilation also differs from the 8 track in that it seems to be from two spliced sources, whereas the 8 track is continuous. Listen in headphones to really hear how drastic the change is at the splice.

I wonder if that is due to David not being happy about it: I recall Snowy said Dave & Roger had a big row the day he went to the studio to meet them

The story, as I understand it, goes something like this: One day late in the Animals recording session, either Brian Humphries or Nick Grifiths accidentally erased one of David's guitar solos on the multitrack tape. The sessions had already been tense, so you can image the atmosphere in the studio at that time. Then, shortly after that happened, in walks Snowy White ready to audition for his part on the upcoming tour. Noting the tense atmosphere in the studio, he casually asks David if he can have a jam while he is there, as an audition. Gilmour apparently bluntly replied: "well, you wouldn't be here if you couldn't play, now would you?". Snowy ended up recording an outro solo for Pigs On The Wing. That apparently was his audition.

I've often wondered if the solo that got erased was the alternate Dogs solo that we can hear on the Extraction Tapes.

Last edited:
The Snowy White version of Pigs On The Wing that appears on his compilation also differs from the 8 track in that it seems to be from two spliced sources, whereas the 8 track is continuous. Listen in headphones to really hear how drastic the change is at the splice.
It's not from 2 splices sources. It was simply mixed differently to emphasize the solo.

It's not from 2 splices sources. It was simply mixed differently to emphasize the solo.
I didn't know that. Heh, I just thought that CD master was stepped on all to high hell!
I have a rip of an 8-track that's a little fluttery (no, not that earlier extra silly one!) but still has fidelity that runs circles around any of the digital releases. I imagine you have the same one. :)

Posted today on the Floyd's Facebook page:

Today in 1976, the second of three days photography of Algie the pig took place at Battersea Power Station, for the cover of Animals. On this particular day, the marksman shown here (ready to shoot the inflatable if it got away) WASN'T hired - and inevitably, Algie's ropes slipped and the pig flew away.....

Attachments

• 129482532_10157837020177308_7299652329562238369_n.jpg
    129482532_10157837020177308_7299652329562238369_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 123
Shoot Algie :eek: That would be blaspheme!
I still remember him coming out from behind the stage and flying over my head at one of the indoor concerts in Chicago.
Come to think of it, I think he's flown at every concert I've been at.

Back