Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...you-were-here-live-in-the-flesh-1977-1179500/Regarding the final sentences in this article I personally lobbied for the Oakland show to be included with this release. I even sent AJ the high resolution files that were transferred from the masters. (You can guess what followed)

MOTB Release: 0053 24/96
Release Date: 2009-01-29
Special: Rhinotrocity #13
Band: Pink Floyd
Date: 1977-05-09 (Monday)
Venue: Oakland / Alameda Coliseum
Analog Audience Source: FOB Master Cassettes (MAC)
Medium Stock Brands: MAC = 2 x TDK SA90
Analog Lineage: 2 x sony ECM 280 => Sony SD152 >> MAC
Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi CR-7a >> Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]
Taped By: Reinhart Holhwein
Transfer By: Bob Menke
Mastering By: Derek McCabe

Last edited:

Is there anything going on with Pink Floyd on the archival front? There’s been talk of an Animals reissue in recent years.
Gilmour:
Well, a very lovely Animals remix has been done, but someone has tried to force some liner notes on it that I haven’t approved and, um, someone is digging his heels and not allowing it to be released.
Samson: But you don’t have liner notes, do you?
Gilmour: No, we’ve never had liner notes.
Samson: Why are you suddenly having liner notes?
Gilmour: Because someone wants them, and they got a journalist to write some, and I didn’t approve them. And he’s just getting a bit shirty. You know how he is, poor boy.

So I'm gonna be the proper USA young man (lol) and state I have never heard the term "shirty", ever!, and I consider myself to be a world traveling, Thesaurus reading mofo. WTF?

Last edited:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...you-were-here-live-in-the-flesh-1977-1179500/
Regarding the final sentences in this article I personally lobbied for the Oakland show to be included with this release. I even sent AJ the high resolution files that were transferred from the masters. (You can guess what followed)

Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi CR-7a >> Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]

What final sentences are you referring to? Perhaps the article was edited? Also, what followed your offer (a cease and desist?)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...you-were-here-live-in-the-flesh-1977-1179500/
Regarding the final sentences in this article I personally lobbied for the Oakland show to be included with this release. I even sent AJ the high resolution files that were transferred from the masters. (You can guess what followed)

@rontoon did the band professionally record any shows on the '77 tour (like they did in '74 & '80/'81)?

There's also a rumor that they did 2-track cassette recordings direct from the soundboard of multiple shows. Any truth to that? I would happily take those if they exist. The cassette recordings in the King Crimson box sets are enjoyable.

Obviously a moot point since there won't be any live material in these sets, but I can dream.... :)

The shows were recorded to stereo cassette with a combination of board sends and an 'open air' style mic or two on stage. They wanted to hear the performances to critique themselves. It wasn't even a proper fold down of the live quad mix to stereo. More of a matter of fact, get it good enough to evaluate, kind of thing. No multitrack for the entire tour. Not even a quad board tape of the actual live mix for any show.

Sucks doesn't it!

I think our Best of N American Tour in quad holds up pretty well if I do say so myself. :D

The shows were recorded to stereo cassette with a combination of board sends and an 'open air' style mic or two on stage. They wanted to hear the performances to critique themselves. It wasn't even a proper fold down of the live quad mix to stereo. More of a matter of fact, get it good enough to evaluate, kind of thing. No multitrack for the entire tour. Not even a quad board tape of the actual live mix for any show.

Sucks doesn't it!

I think our Best of N American Tour in quad holds up pretty well if I do say so myself. :D

Thanks @jimfisheye your work is invaluable! We are very lucky to have foremost PF fan experts / audio engineers like you and @rontoon on this forum

What final sentences are you referring to? Perhaps the article was edited? Also, what followed your offer (a cease and desist?)
... it’s definitely good enough to include on the Animals box set, especially if Floyd’s engineers can somehow get their hands on the master tape. Let’s hope they find a way to do that.

No cease and desist. The only thing I heard back was the sound of sheep.

:LOL:

... it’s definitely good enough to include on the Animals box set, especially if Floyd’s engineers can somehow get their hands on the master tape. Let’s hope they find a way to do that.

No cease and desist. The only thing I heard back was the sound of sheep.

:LOL:
Isn’t that already released in UNDERGROUND markets?

Isn’t that already released in UNDERGROUND markets?
The master was shared in 2009. Before and after it has been one of the most bootlegged shows from the tour. So yeah, I don't see any digital magic making this too much better than it already sounds. But at least I can say I tried.

I think we would all like to hear the sbd/aud mixes jfe would make if he had access to these supposedly subpar sbd tapes. Bet it would amazing.

Actually, I would not mind an SACD surround mix of AHM because the 5.1 mix on the dvd and blu ray on the early years box cuts out abruptly at the end of Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast 🍳

Actually, I would not mind an SACD surround mix of AHM because the 5.1 mix on the dvd and blu ray on the early years box cuts out abruptly at the end of Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast 🍳

It would have been fun if there was an additional final track of just the water dripping for 5 minutes or so. (Of course, Roger might want special credit for it.)

I've seen this comment a few times now. There must be a vinyl version with a longer run out before it starts looping than what I've heard? The drips on the bluray go longer than the point where it starts looping on my vinyl copy. It cuts off at the end all right but it runs longer than what I was used to hearing so I assumed that was the actual hard end of their tape.

Wow. Nothing seems to get the forum a-jumpin' like some good ol' Pink Floyd talk. I never would have guessed when I was 14 years old and stealing my brothers cassette tapes that 30+ years later I would still be interested yet apathetic about them.
new.jpg

Back