Pink Floyd / Atom Heart Mother 50th anniversary Japanese exclusive

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that seems kind of silly to suggest. Hmmm...

Sure. I enjoy these things when I get my hands on them. I just shop for the audio files first. Maybe this is just not focused on the album itself and more about the film and maybe that's really what it suggests?

I should wait for Ron to tell us what this is.
Seems to me that Ron made a statement about the AUDIO being from the actual show in Japan which is not the same as on the Early Years etc on the SHF :)

Boy, they are really going over the top there with the promotion of this thing. I am not sure of the history behind the original video (that seems to be out there already) but they are really over-promising in describing the “new” version:

“We have unearthed from our vaults a treasure that has been deemed priceless by music historians worldwide. Thought to be lost for the last 50 years, this unreleased Pink Floyd concert from 1971 is their only live show that was filmed during their career. They chose to play in Japan due to their dedicated fan base, and the resulting concert has been talked about virtually non-stop since that glorious day. You will see them as if they were in your own living room, right there on your own video screen. The sounds, the colors, the spectacle.......all there for you to behold and to enjoy over and over at your own convenience.

This historical event was captured using 15 state of the art film cameras and the audio is presented in crystal clear Stereophonic surround sound. You will be amazed at the presentation, which is so life-like that you could almost reach out and touch the band. Go ahead......reach out and touch them. We promise we won’t tell! We know that you will be amazed that this concert is coming through your video screen and your sound speakers. You will be instantly transported back to that historic day in 1971 when the one and only Pink Floyd graced our little island with their presence. Due to overwhelming demand only five copies are available to each lucky purchaser as our suppliers are working around the clock to ensure that every fan of music the world over will be able to experience on their own video terminal the same feelings that were felt by us, way back in 1971. Don’t delay........limited quantities are available and will be sold on a first come, first served basis.”

<---- Obviously my favorite album ever (PF and otherwise). ;) Ordered from Amazon Japan.
It is usual to say that DarkSotM was "thought" in Quad. But I believe the true star mix of PF's Quad catalog is the Atom Heart Mother suite.

Well, OK, and also the Quad and mch DSOTM, WishYWH, et al.

;)

My order just shipped from Amazon.co.jp!!! Says to expect Aug 12 but I hope I’ll get mine sooner👍😊
PS: if anyone still wants the larger exclusive edition from them they have 2 left

My order just shipped from Amazon.co.jp!!!... the larger exclusive edition
OK, you don't need to rub it in so much. I would've ordered from Amazon.co.jp too but they won't deliver to Australia anymore coz Bezos got mad that the Feds here introduced a 10% import tax that Amazon would have to collect and forward on. So no Amazon imports to Oz anymore from any of their overseas sites.

Just got word from DHL to expect delivery by Monday Aug 9❤👍😊

PS: Large format is now CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE…. Probably SOLD OUT and never to be available again

This was just delivered and I watched it. Some of the footage is weirdly familiar, I suspect it was in one of the Harvested anthologies.

The good news: The film was either well-preserved or well-restored and looks pretty good. The song is complete and the audio is nicely-recorded.

The bad news: NONE of the film depicts the band playing the song in question. They're clearly playing on stage in Japan at what looks like an outdoor festival, but serious fans will recognize that what's really being played is "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "A Saucerful of Secrets". Probably others as well, but those were the two most obvious.

So if you want another CD of the album and a nice 16 minute live four-piece version of AHM, go for it. If you were hoping to see actual sync footage, you're going to be disappointed.

There's a ton of printed material included as well, but if you can't read Japanese it will be of limited interest. The most fascinating thing I gleaned from it is that apparently one of the other Western acts was...The 1910 Fruitgum Company!

It's either the greatest forgery of all time or a 100% official, legitimate release, but I'd guess that it wasn't issued elsewhere simply because the above shortcomings would make it uninteresting outside of Japan.

Got my delivery ….. haven’t played the discs yet, but the MEGA JACKET is NO SUCH THING it’s just a 10” MINI POSTER of the Album front cover…. I’m going to ask for the difference back between this and the regular version….the books and stuff are a GREAT BONUS….will get back to you on my listening/watching experience…..all great but the MEGA JACKET

The video is a very nice UPGRADE…..but either I can’t find the web address for the additional content (Digital Booklet) or it’s in Japanese…if anyone can figure it out please post here….. the CD is just the stereo 2011 mix

That's not bad news, that's very old news. This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully. Just as expected.
Expected by whom? Not all of us can claim to be "Floydian Archivists". Like most, I base my purchasing decisions on the information I'm given/can find about a new release and nothing in the promotional material that I saw indicated that the band were not actually performing the same song on the stage as to what we'd be watching. The blurb from Sony says "The Blu-ray disc contains the restored footage of Atom Heart Mother, showing the band on stage performing the song". CDJapan, also said "The film was digitized from 16mm film using the latest technology and restored and remastered after three years of work (the sound source is also live from "Hakone Aphrodite"). (Emphasis added.)

None of this indicates the video doesn't match the audio, they imply the opposite. It's deceptive advertising, so to just us plebs, it's not "just as expected".

Back