Pink Floyd / Atom Heart Mother 50th anniversary Japanese exclusive

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Expected by whom? Not all of us can claim to be "Floydian Archivists".
Expected by the many fans who have seen this film over the past 50 years. It's certainly been in wide circulation and on YouTube and officially released on TEY. I would assume that most Floyd fans, especially ones that frequent forums and have paid attention to this thread would know that. So yes, the film is just as expected including the incredible quality of the image!

EDIT:
I did a careful side-by-side comparison between the original Hakone video and this new transfer and can confirm that this new release is exactly the same edit as the original film with one difference. At the 5-minute mark there is approximately 24 seconds of footage missing from all previous versions. There’s a really bad glitch at the 5-minute mark and I’m assuming that the proceeding 24 seconds of footage was damaged and an edit was made to remove it when it went into circulation.

I’m pretty certain that the original audio was replaced but the recording has yet to be identified.

Here’s the original film.

Last edited:
That's not bad news, that's very old news. This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully. Just as expected.

Yeah, I read too much into it, no doubt because I wanted it to be something more. It's certainly interesting footage and, as you say, cleaned up beautifully, but it's still incredibly frustrating to see them bashing away completely out of sync.

Yeah, I read too much into it, no doubt because I wanted it to be something more. It's certainly interesting footage and, as you say, cleaned up beautifully, but it's still incredibly frustrating to see them bashing away completely out of sync.
To quote a phrase, "It is what it is"
I'm just happy that they found the original film and cleaned it up.

The marketing blurb sure sounds misleading
I'd like to be generous and say something was "lost in translation". I taught English as a foreign language in Japan for three years, and the Japanese students there struggled with articles ("a", "an", and "the") as their own language didn't use them. But we're dealing with Sony, a multinational conglomerate, so when they say in English that "The Blu-ray disc contains the restored footage of Atom Heart Mother, showing the band on stage performing the song" I take them at their word.

I was wondering about the audio/video sync, when it came up in the Animals thread
The marketing blurb sure sounds misleading
Glad I didn't buy it. But the new footage looks great
It is QUITE MISLEADING!!! Especially about the MEGA JACKET very limited version!!! Also the website to view the additional content is nowhere to be found…STAY AWAY

Even if they were to accept my return I’d have to lay out $162 just to return my order to them using DHL but that’s almost what all 3 of my copies cost me to begin with. They would then put 12000 yen back on my card then the difference on my account. Not acceptable because I’d have to order from them EXCLUSIVELY which because I very rarely if ever order from them, I’d lose the difference

PS: I’ve put in multiple requests for refunds regarding these issues but at this point to no avail, but have made a complaint to my CC company and they know the whole story and have credited me back the purchase price, temporarily until Amazon Japan states otherwise. I’ve kept all communications with them and have PICTURE PROOF

I'd like to be generous and say something was "lost in translation". I taught English as a foreign language in Japan for three years, and the Japanese students there struggled with articles ("a", "an", and "the") as their own language didn't use them. But we're dealing with Sony, a multinational conglomerate, so when they say in English that "The Blu-ray disc contains the restored footage of Atom Heart Mother, showing the band on stage performing the song" I take them at their word.
That’s another good point I should bring up :love:

Did I really purchase this for 16 minutes of improved video ? Yes
Is it improved ? Very much so over what on the early years box.
Would it have been nice to have them chuck the Quad mix of AHM on the blu ray as well ? Certainly.
Worth the money ? probably not.
Am I disappointed? a little
Will I learn ? Never.

Last edited:
My review of this has now been posted on Amazon Japan......

Here it is

Grumpy Music Collector

1.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH!! AVOID AT ALL COST!!
Reviewed in Japan on August 15, 2021
Verified Purchase
I was very EXCITED about getting this special MEGA JACKET LIMITED EDITION!!

Boy, was I let down BIG TIME!!!! There are 3 points I’d like to make about this in general..

1. It is NOT a MEGA JACKET as you can see by my pictures I’ve enclosed..it is a one sided unfolded MINI-POSTER

2. As stated in the descriptions for both editions..there is additional content on a website, in which the address could be found in the printed matterial enclosed, if it is I can’t find it and nowhere in the description does it say it would be EXCLUSIVELY in the Japanese language, yes I’ve ordered plenty of Japanese pressings in the past and the quality is always the BEST IN THE WORLD!! This is the EXCEPTION to the rule.

3. They HYPE the Video/Sound quality beyond belief!! Firstly the video size as described is not correct and the sound is not SYNCED as we were all lead to believe.

So all that being said the VIDEO QUALITY IS A MAJOR UPGRADE and the PRINTED MATTERIAL IS AWESOME!!!

But I must say sorry but BUYER BEWARE!! SONY/Amazon Japan and any other sellers of this product should be offering total refund with Pre-paid return shipping because it is not the consumers fault that we were all mislead!

1629319576103.png

Attachments

• 1629319647543.png
    1629319647543.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 75
My review of this has now been posted on Amazon Japan......

Here it is

Grumpy Music Collector

1.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY RUBBISH!! AVOID AT ALL COST!!
Reviewed in Japan on August 15, 2021
Verified Purchase
I was very EXCITED about getting this special MEGA JACKET LIMITED EDITION!!

Boy, was I let down BIG TIME!!!! There are 3 points I’d like to make about this in general..

1. It is NOT a MEGA JACKET as you can see by my pictures I’ve enclosed..it is a one sided unfolded MINI-POSTER

2. As stated in the descriptions for both editions..there is additional content on a website, in which the address could be found in the printed matterial enclosed, if it is I can’t find it and nowhere in the description does it say it would be EXCLUSIVELY in the Japanese language, yes I’ve ordered plenty of Japanese pressings in the past and the quality is always the BEST IN THE WORLD!! This is the EXCEPTION to the rule.

3. They HYPE the Video/Sound quality beyond belief!! Firstly the video size as described is not correct and the sound is not SYNCED as we were all lead to believe.

So all that being said the VIDEO QUALITY IS A MAJOR UPGRADE and the PRINTED MATTERIAL IS AWESOME!!!

But I must say sorry but BUYER BEWARE!! SONY/Amazon Japan and any other sellers of this product should be offering total refund with Pre-paid return shipping because it is not the consumers fault that we were all mislead!

View attachment 70266

What an ABSOLUTE FIASCO, MM. Most fortunately, I'm NOT a rabid fan of everything PF puts out, nowadays, especially an incompetent CASH GRAB like this. In the same time it took to assemble that set, the surround remixes of Animals and The Wall which are already remixed and IN THE CAN, remain UNRELEASED sitting on a shelf.

Hopefully, MM everything will be resolved and ALL your $$$ refunded ..... but in the GRAND SCHEME of things ...another lesson LEARNED

And I may be 'ostracized' for saying this .... but those talented PF lads of the late 60's through the late 80's who are now in perpetual disagreement with each other and whose intellectual property is now most probably controlled by greedy corporate lawyers could just as easily given their all too faithful followers a simple BD~V/A with the concert itself and a 4.0 remix of ATOM HEART MOTHER in 192/24 resolution .... and called it a DAY!

And considering their immense wealth, once in awhile it would be nice to throw US POOR DOGS ... A BONE!

Last edited:
I was wondering about the audio/video sync, when it came up in the Animals thread.
The marketing blurb sure sounds misleading.
The product description on CDJapan (where I ordered this from) seems fairly accurate. Much happier with the bonus postcard they offered than oversized sleeve/poster.

This film has been around for years and has even received an official release in TEY. I'm confused as to why anyone expected anything different.

I am quite happy with this release although a bit overpriced. It's pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. And I didn't bother with the Mega jacket version.
I fully agree with you, knowing in advance what to expect allowed me to manage my expectations.
I don't think it was a bad decision not to sync the audio with the video. The way the video segues would have meant strange cuts on the audio and the non concert images would have stuck out like a sore thumb anyway.
I'd really like to know where the audio come from, specially what was commented in Y! about David himself providing the source

I fully agree with you, knowing in advance what to expect allowed me to manage my expectations.
I don't think it was a bad decision not to sync the audio with the video. The way the video segues would have meant strange cuts on the audio and the non concert images would have stuck out like a sore thumb anyway.
I'd really like to know where the audio come from, specially what was commented in Y! about David himself providing the source
Commented in Y?! Got link?

The product description on CDJapan (where I ordered this from) seems fairly accurate. Much happier with the bonus postcard they offered than oversized sleeve/poster.

This film has been around for years and has even received an official release in TEY. I'm confused as to why anyone expected anything different.
What is TEY?

Back