Pink Floyd / Atom Heart Mother 50th anniversary Japanese exclusive

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commented in Y?! Got link?
As posted by shuffle user:

"Yesterday there was an event in Hakone for the release of the AHM 50th anniversary edition, which I was able to attend, and I asked general manager of Sony Music Japan at the event how the release process came about.
He told me that the original plan was to use the audio from the film optical soundtrack, but Pink Floyd refused to allow it (because the sound quality was too poor).
Sony sent various sound sources to Pink Floyd, but these were also rejected, and Sony was even told to replace the sound with a live recording from another country, as it was not of Pink Floyd quality.
But Sony's general manager insisted: "We want to make something that will resonate with the Japanese people, so we have to include the Hakone recordings." he persisted.
PF manager said that he would leave the final decision to David Gilmour, and he sent me a sound source that he said I could use. That was stereo audience recording that was used this time"

http://yeeshkul.com/forum/showthrea...ne-Aphrodite-50th-Anniversary-Edition)/page11

Commented in Y?! Got link?
Yesterday there was an event in Hakone for the release of the AHM 50th anniversary edition, which I was able to attend, and I asked general manager of Sony Music Japan at the event how the release process came about. He told me that the original plan was to use the audio from the film optical soundtrack, but Pink Floyd refused to allow it (because the sound quality was too poor).

Sony sent various sound sources to Pink Floyd, but these were also rejected, and Sony was even told to replace the sound with a live recording from another country, as it was not of Pink Floyd quality. But Sony's general manager insisted: "We want to make something that will resonate with the Japanese people, so we have to include the Hakone recordings." he persisted. PF manager said that he would leave the final decision to David Gilmour, and he sent me a sound source that he said I could use. That was stereo audience recording that was used this time.

I don't think it was a bad decision not to sync the audio with the video. The way the video segues would have meant strange cuts on the audio and the non concert images would have stuck out like a sore thumb anyway.
Anyone who has seen this film in the past understands that this was originally shot without sound with only bits and pieces of songs being filmed (Eugene, Set The Controls, AHM, etc). It would be virtually impossible to synch any audio properly to this film, they understood this 50 years ago when the film was made and with this opportunity created a similar presentation. The missing 20 seconds (or so) of footage is intact as well. Pink Floyd even posted this film on their YouTube channel 8 months ago!

This release is a bit overpriced but beautifully packaged.

It would have been nice if they'd explained that cleary, so anyone other than hardcore bootleg/roio collectors could be informed. It certainly appeared to me, that they had footage of the band playing the actual song.

At this point, I'm grateful for any scraps tossed to us though

It would have been nice if they'd explained that cleary, so anyone other than hardcore bootleg/roio collectors could be informed.
I understand the frustration that many of you are feeling but this was released professionally as part of The Early Years in addition to being bootlegged for decades. I also found the description on the CD Japan site to be completely accurate. Since this release is exclusive to Japan I have a feeling that something got lost in the translation elsewhere.

They HYPE the Video/Sound quality beyond belief!! Firstly the video size as described is not correct and the sound is not SYNCED as we were all lead to believe.
IIRC, you started this thread and I'm surprised that you and everyone else didn't notice that the audio was not in synch with the video, aspect ratio as well. That seemed fairly obvious.

I should wait for Ron to tell us what this is.
Everyone knows that waiting is the hardest part! ;)

Last edited:
Anyone who has seen this film in the past understands that this was originally shot without sound with only bits and pieces of songs being filmed (Eugene, Set The Controls, AHM, etc). It would be virtually impossible to synch any audio properly to this film, they understood this 50 years ago when the film was made and with this opportunity created a similar presentation. The missing 20 seconds (or so) of footage is intact as well. Pink Floyd even posted this film on their YouTube channel 8 months ago!

This release is a bit overpriced but beautifully packaged.

My point is that SMJ overhyped the product and what they said about what was enclosed….you can see that is my many different comments previously… if they as in both SMJ and Amazon had not mislead the buying public with their statements…this BITCH SESSION would never have happened…Nuff Said!! :mad:

I PMed you…..Rontoon
I replied to your PM. Here, let me help.

Product description

"Mega Jacket (24cm x 24cm)" is included as an Amazon.co.jp exclusive benefit.
As the number is limited, please make a reservation as soon as possible.

Historical new discovery! Miracle excavation! Video recording of the phantom "Hakone Aphrodite" that is now vividly revived!
50th Anniversary of Pink Floyd's first performance in Japan "Hakone Aphrodite"! Miraculous Japan's original project-CD on 7-inch paper jacket of "Atom Heart Mother" and finally new discovery! From the original film 50 years ago A set of 2 discs that recorded the video of. "Pink Floyd's first ever Japanese original project" has been realized as a recording of Japanese original images and sound sources!

● 50th Anniversary of Japan's first outdoor rock festival “Hakone Aphrodite” held on August 6th and 7th,
1971 16mm original film is finally discovered! Video of "Hakone Aphrodite", the first performance of the phantom pink floyd that is now vividly revived!
● Digitized from 16mm film using the latest technology, restored after 3 years & Li master (sound source is also "Hakone Aphrodite" live sound source used)
● in addition B-roll specific "Scott & Watts" is also to be the first-ever included! Hakone Aphrodite construction at the time the video is viewed as a bonus video here was also newly discovered!
● Released on August 4, 2021 (Wednesday), just before August 6 and 7, which marks the 50th anniversary of "Hakone Aphrodite"!
Pink Floyd's first visit to Japan, a special package commemorating the 50th anniversary of Hakone Aphrodite
● Pink Floyd's first 7-inch paper jacket specification (reprint of the obi to commemorate the visit to Japan
at that time ) ● Many unpublished photos at that time were discovered!・ Includes 5 major benefits including a photo booklet! Includes 5 major benefits
including a special booklet that can be said to be a documentary of the date and time of Pink Floyd's first visit in 1971.

⓵ "Japan's original 60P special booklet full of unpublished photos"
⓶ "Hakone Aphrodite pamphlet" reprint
⓷ "Venue guide map leaflet" reprint
⓸ "Osaka performance poster" reprint
⓹ "Hakone Aphrodite ticket" reprint
* Only for the first production , Application ticket included

● Digital booklet: "Recollection" Hakone Aphrodite 1971 "

(If you access from the address included in the product, the testimonies, experiences, valuable secret stories, blood of Hakone Aphrodite officials and witnesses You can see a special book that contains the story of sweat and tears.)
In the latter half of the 1960s, the Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock were held overseas, and in 1971, many overseas artists came to Japan. Decided to hold a large-scale outdoor rock festival "Hakone Aphrodite". However, it is not well known that there were various difficulties and efforts to realize it, and great hardships ... Includes testimonies of people involved and witnesses at the time and stories of blood, sweat and tears. What was Pink Floyd's first visit to Japan in 1971? And what was the legendary "Hakone Aphrodite"? 50 years ago, Japanese rock fans first experienced the rock festival "Hakone Aphrodite". We will unravel from the stories of the people involved and reexamine the historical fact that the origins of Japanese rock festivals such as Fuji Rock and Summer Sonic were here.

⓵ Preamble (What is Japan's first outdoor rock festival Hakone Aphrodite?)
⓶ "Memorandum of" Hakone Aphrodite ""-Akinobu Kamebuchi (At that time All Night Nippon DJ / Aphrodite A stage progresser)
⓷ "Summer of 1971 ~ Legend of Aphrodite"- Naoki Tachikawa
⓸ "The excitement of seeing PINK FLOYD in front of you and the intense lingering sound that never awakens"
-Masanori Ito
⓹ "Experience story of the 1971 Pink Floyd Osaka Festival Hall performance"
Witness 1: Isao Matsui (former) Eventer, Producer) A 21-year-old college student at the time.
Witness 2: Hideo Seko (former record company promotion) At that time, he was a 19-year-old ronin.
Witness 3: Yuichi Minami (now Eventer) A 15-year-old high school student at the time.
⓺ "" Hakone Aphrodite "memoirs" - Mitsunori Sasa (Nippon broadcast production Deputy Director / Hakone Aphrodite production general producer at that time)
⓻ "" Aphrodite "naming Confidential" - Fumihiko Imura (then Nippon Broadcasting Division Chief)
⓼ "in Japan Concert Sound and Hakone Aphrodite "
-Hiroaki Hibino (Chairman of the Board, Hibino Co., Ltd.) ⓽" Pink Floyd in 1971 "-Hiroyuki Ayuzawa
⓾ Postscript-Tetsuya Shiraki (About the background of the discovery of the phantom film)

■ Song
[Disc1: CD]
01: Atom Heart Mother
a Father's Cry
b Milky Breast
c Mother Fore
d:
Annoying Koyashi e Be careful of your throat
f: Reproduction
02: If
03: Summer '68
04: Fat Old Sun
05: Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
a Rise and Shine
b Sunny Side Up
c Morning Glory
[Disc2: Blu-ray Disc]
01: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 1971)
01: Scott & Watts (Hakone Aphrodite B-roll)

* It will end as soon as the stock runs out.

I replied to your PM. Here, let me help.

Product description

"Mega Jacket (24cm x 24cm)" is included as an Amazon.co.jp exclusive benefit.
As the number is limited, please make a reservation as soon as possible.

Historical new discovery! Miracle excavation! Video recording of the phantom "Hakone Aphrodite" that is now vividly revived!
50th Anniversary of Pink Floyd's first performance in Japan "Hakone Aphrodite"! Miraculous Japan's original project-CD on 7-inch paper jacket of "Atom Heart Mother" and finally new discovery! From the original film 50 years ago A set of 2 discs that recorded the video of. "Pink Floyd's first ever Japanese original project" has been realized as a recording of Japanese original images and sound sources!

● 50th Anniversary of Japan's first outdoor rock festival “Hakone Aphrodite” held on August 6th and 7th,
1971 16mm original film is finally discovered! Video of "Hakone Aphrodite", the first performance of the phantom pink floyd that is now vividly revived!
● Digitized from 16mm film using the latest technology, restored after 3 years & Li master (sound source is also "Hakone Aphrodite" live sound source used)
● in addition B-roll specific "Scott & Watts" is also to be the first-ever included! Hakone Aphrodite construction at the time the video is viewed as a bonus video here was also newly discovered!
● Released on August 4, 2021 (Wednesday), just before August 6 and 7, which marks the 50th anniversary of "Hakone Aphrodite"!
Pink Floyd's first visit to Japan, a special package commemorating the 50th anniversary of Hakone Aphrodite
● Pink Floyd's first 7-inch paper jacket specification (reprint of the obi to commemorate the visit to Japan
at that time ) ● Many unpublished photos at that time were discovered!・ Includes 5 major benefits including a photo booklet! Includes 5 major benefits
including a special booklet that can be said to be a documentary of the date and time of Pink Floyd's first visit in 1971.

⓵ "Japan's original 60P special booklet full of unpublished photos"
⓶ "Hakone Aphrodite pamphlet" reprint
⓷ "Venue guide map leaflet" reprint
⓸ "Osaka performance poster" reprint
⓹ "Hakone Aphrodite ticket" reprint
* Only for the first production , Application ticket included

● Digital booklet: "Recollection" Hakone Aphrodite 1971 "

(If you access from the address included in the product, the testimonies, experiences, valuable secret stories, blood of Hakone Aphrodite officials and witnesses You can see a special book that contains the story of sweat and tears.)
In the latter half of the 1960s, the Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock were held overseas, and in 1971, many overseas artists came to Japan. Decided to hold a large-scale outdoor rock festival "Hakone Aphrodite". However, it is not well known that there were various difficulties and efforts to realize it, and great hardships ... Includes testimonies of people involved and witnesses at the time and stories of blood, sweat and tears. What was Pink Floyd's first visit to Japan in 1971? And what was the legendary "Hakone Aphrodite"? 50 years ago, Japanese rock fans first experienced the rock festival "Hakone Aphrodite". We will unravel from the stories of the people involved and reexamine the historical fact that the origins of Japanese rock festivals such as Fuji Rock and Summer Sonic were here.

⓵ Preamble (What is Japan's first outdoor rock festival Hakone Aphrodite?)
⓶ "Memorandum of" Hakone Aphrodite ""-Akinobu Kamebuchi (At that time All Night Nippon DJ / Aphrodite A stage progresser)
⓷ "Summer of 1971 ~ Legend of Aphrodite"- Naoki Tachikawa
⓸ "The excitement of seeing PINK FLOYD in front of you and the intense lingering sound that never awakens"
-Masanori Ito
⓹ "Experience story of the 1971 Pink Floyd Osaka Festival Hall performance"
Witness 1: Isao Matsui (former) Eventer, Producer) A 21-year-old college student at the time.
Witness 2: Hideo Seko (former record company promotion) At that time, he was a 19-year-old ronin.
Witness 3: Yuichi Minami (now Eventer) A 15-year-old high school student at the time.
⓺ "" Hakone Aphrodite "memoirs" - Mitsunori Sasa (Nippon broadcast production Deputy Director / Hakone Aphrodite production general producer at that time)
⓻ "" Aphrodite "naming Confidential" - Fumihiko Imura (then Nippon Broadcasting Division Chief)
⓼ "in Japan Concert Sound and Hakone Aphrodite "
-Hiroaki Hibino (Chairman of the Board, Hibino Co., Ltd.) ⓽" Pink Floyd in 1971 "-Hiroyuki Ayuzawa
⓾ Postscript-Tetsuya Shiraki (About the background of the discovery of the phantom film)

■ Song
[Disc1: CD]
01: Atom Heart Mother
a Father's Cry
b Milky Breast
c Mother Fore
d:
Annoying Koyashi e Be careful of your throat
f: Reproduction
02: If
03: Summer '68
04: Fat Old Sun
05: Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast
a Rise and Shine
b Sunny Side Up
c Morning Glory
[Disc2: Blu-ray Disc]
01: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 1971)
01: Scott & Watts (Hakone Aphrodite B-roll)

* It will end as soon as the stock runs out.
Yes that much I know....Broke it down for you in PM

This film has been around for years ... I'm confused as to why anyone expected anything different.
I consulted a well-known and long-established Floydian fan web site before I ordered which said that "The Blu-ray disc contains the restored footage of Atom Heart Mother, showing the band on stage performing the song" (emphasis added at: Special Japanese-only Pink Floyd Hakone/Atom Heart Mother release)

I had no reason to doubt the veracity of this claim, and I would've thought that as a self-confessed "Floydian Archivist" you would be familiar with this site? No? Well, I'm glad I can point you to a source which should now clear up your confusion as to why some of us, "expected anything different" from your previous TEY edit.

I consulted a well-known and long-established Floydian fan web site before I ordered which said that "The Blu-ray disc contains the restored footage of Atom Heart Mother, showing the band on stage performing the song" (emphasis added at: Special Japanese-only Pink Floyd Hakone/Atom Heart Mother release)

I had no reason to doubt the veracity of this claim, and I would've thought that as a self-confessed "Floydian Archivist" you would be familiar with this site? No? Well, I'm glad I can point you to a source which should now clear up your confusion as to why some of us, "expected anything different" from your previous TEY edit.
Well-known and long-established Floydian fan websites sometimes get things wrong (especially if they copied+pasted from the Sony press release) and sometimes product descriptions are changed. I saw this posted by Sony and on that website you referred to and called shenanigans on it immediately - here and on other forums.
This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully. Just as expected.

And FYI, the band is on stage performing AHM. The point that I was trying to make was that the actual merchants who are selling this have the listings correct. And I posted the video here to show everyone what to expect. If anyone is disappointed you can easily get your money back via eBay. Or wait a few months until it's out of print and make a profit. Just make sure the item description is accurate. ;)

And FYI, the band is on stage performing AHM.
Well, it's me that's confused now. My copy hasn't arrived yet so I can only go on what others have claimed, which is that the video of the band is not them performing AHM. This was the claim by "atrocity" earlier in this thread when they wrote: "NONE of the film depicts the band playing the song in question. They're clearly playing on stage in Japan at what looks like an outdoor festival, but serious fans will recognize that what's really being played is "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "A Saucerful of Secrets". Probably others as well, but those were the two most obvious."

Your response was not to deny this point, but to say "That's not bad news, that's very old news. This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully. Just as expected."

Well, it's me that's confused now. My copy hasn't arrived yet so I can only go on what others have claimed, which is that the video of the band is not them performing AHM. This was the claim by "atrocity" earlier in this thread when they wrote: "NONE of the film depicts the band playing the song in question. They're clearly playing on stage in Japan at what looks like an outdoor festival, but serious fans will recognize that what's really being played is "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "A Saucerful of Secrets". Probably others as well, but those were the two most obvious."

Your response was not to deny this point, but to say "That's not bad news, that's very old news. This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully. Just as expected."
Yes they are performing AHM and those other songs as well. Either Sony got it wrong or the translation got lost. The title of the film is AHM so there's a good chance that the people who put this together made an assumption and didn't realize what the Floyd were actually playing in those clips. The ones actually selling the product seem to have the description correct w/o any of the misleading info. Did anyone who ordered this bother to read the product descrition?

I confirmed conclusively that "This is the same video that's been in circulation for decades cleaned up beautifully." I'm sorry if this wasn't clear enough for you or anyone else. All of my posts on this thread were an attempt to inform people what they would be getting with this package. I even shared the YouTube video of the TEY version. If I was a bit late to post it's because I never expected to see a thread on this release here since there's nothing multichannel about it.

Check out how much this is currently selling for on eBay. Get your money back and then some.

Last edited:
OK, lots to read on this thread. I knew what I was going to get going in, so I am not surprised by anything, except the credits call him Nicki Mason.
I ordered and received my copy from CDJapan. For some reason I automatically thought the CD was going to be a SHM CD, not just RBCD.
I remember now when Japan released Pink Floyds Disc's in mini LP paper sleeve, none of them where SHM CD. I am guessing Pink Floyd has something against SHM CD?
I am watching the Blu Ray now, only stereo, correct?
About the same amount of audience as Hendrix in Maui.
I compared the DR's to the previous Atom Heart Mother, mini LP, they are exactly the same.
So, I guess I am not worthy of being a big Pink Floyd fan as this Blu Ray concert footage, with out of sync music and vocals is quite a snooze fest for me.
I think I am glad I purchased it, but geez, I feel a little ripped off.
One fucking song: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 1971)
One fucking song: Scott & Watts (Hakone Aphrodite B-roll)

I will have to read all your guys posts, I feel like I am really missing something here
I hope I didn't buy it for the enclosed paper products.
The only thing that is good about it, is it is real short, so the awfulness doesn't last that long.

OK, lots to read on this thread. I knew what I was going to get going in, so I am not surprised by anything, except the credits call him Nicki Mason.
I ordered and received my copy from CDJapan. For some reason I automatically thought the CD was going to be a SHM CD, not just RBCD.
I remember now when Japan released Pink Floyds Disc's in mini LP paper sleeve, none of them where SHM CD. I am guessing Pink Floyd has something against SHM CD?
I am watching the Blu Ray now, only stereo, correct?
About the same amount of audience as Hendrix in Maui.
I compared the DR's to the previous Atom Heart Mother, mini LP, they are exactly the same.
So, I guess I am not worthy of being a big Pink Floyd fan as this Blu Ray concert footage, with out of sync music and vocals is quite a snooze fest for me.
I think I am glad I purchased it, but geez, I feel a little ripped off.
One fucking song: Atom Heart Mother (Hakone Aphrodite 1971)
One fucking song: Scott & Watts (Hakone Aphrodite B-roll)

I will have to read all your guys posts, I feel like I am really missing something here
I hope I didn't buy it for the enclosed paper products.
The only thing that is good about it, is it is real short, so the awfulness doesn't last that long.

AUGUST FOOLS DAY, Markie ... You've been PFed ...... PUNKED by the FLOYDS!

Back