Pink Floyd - concert screen films

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I’ve been looking closer at the live backing concert films that came with the Immersion box sets of DSOTM & WYWH.

I saw Floyd live in the 70s so I know the films. But it is fun to sit down and see them again and really study them.

Hand drawn animation had never been done before quite like these films. Some really fabulous art imo.

I’m going to drop mp4 files of them onto my phone so I can carry them around and maybe show off short clips to friends.

I think one of the elements of these that was novel was the use of depth and changing angle perspectives. Very trip inducing when one is tripping anyway.

But it was amazing how Floyd would play the entire Dark Side album with film to go with it and then play the whole Wish You Were Here album after that with film projected behind them.

So cool to have these and not many folks talk about them.

I’ve been looking closer at the live backing concert films that came with the Immersion box sets of DSOTM & WYWH.

I saw Floyd live in the 70s so I know the films. But it is fun to sit down and see them again and really study them.

Hand drawn animation had never been done before quite like these films. Some really fabulous art imo.

I’m going to drop mp4 files of them onto my phone so I can carry them around and maybe show off short clips to friends.

I think one of the elements of these that was novel was the use of depth and changing angle perspectives. Very trip inducing when one is tripping anyway.

But it was amazing how Floyd would play the entire Dark Side album with film to go with it and then play the whole Wish You Were Here album after that with film projected behind them.

So cool to have these and not many folks talk about them.

Agreed.
The most impressive bonus for me on these two boxes, especially with 5.1 playback option.
Never did catch a concert in the 70s.

Fortunate to be able to snag both a couple of years ago when sealed Euro pressings could be had in the $60 range.

I was able to see their 1977 In The Flesh tour when they came to Portland, Or , the animation was very impressive along with the giant inflated pig above the crowd.
Yep, that tour they played the whole Animals album, then the entire WYWH album with films. Then a decent encore, usually with Money & Us and Them I think.

It's really mind blowing to see those films for the first time.

Last edited:
Yep, that tour they played the whole Animals album, then the entire WYWH album with films. Then a decent encore, usually with Money & Us and Them I think.

It's really mind blowing to see those films for the first time.
In quad too huge speakers in the corners of the Veterans Memorial Coloseum.

Agree, I always admired the pioneering multimedia stuff they did as well.

Still amazed ( and disappointed ) they never properly recorded any of their live surround shows in the 70s.

Back