Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the DSOM sacd and the blu ray we purchased separate from farmed out pieces we found online not long after immersive release. Got that one very reasonable at 30 dollars. (timing) We have the Rush Signals on pre-... but now....what to do? Think we're gonna freeze at 7....I can't think man ,my finger hurts... :p

Last edited:
So, I just noticed this! My order from Amazon US. Damn.......

1679680738213.png

Same for me. If Baggins could have just kept it to himself....I'd be $250 richer. lmao

Coming from the SQ LP I bought new in the 70's, then the Guthrie 5.1 SACD, on to the Immersion set, I really thought the quad mix was the definitive version. That's why, besides the price, I wasn;t going to buy this. And I would still feel that way until Baggins had to tell everyone that the Atmos mix is much better than the Parsons quad mix! I'm a sucker for swirling sounds especially over my head ;)

FOMO rapidly set in and I'm $300 poorer. OTOH, it's neat to have all the various versions. But in my heart, once I have both the Atmos mix as well as the orig 4 ch, there will be no reason to listen to it in stereo or 5.1. My only disappointment is having to rely on the Immersion disc, which could eventually rot, or play the SQ LP for the quad mix. I did rip the Immersion BD recently just in case.

This will be the 5th dip for me: SQ LP > Mofi gold CD > 5.1 SACD > Immersion set > this 50th anniversary set

I'm putting my foot down! Pink Floyd gets no more money from me for DSOTM! LOL

X0)

Happy for you guys but I'm good with multichannel Pompeii & Echoes...all I need. ;0)

Edit: De gustibus non est disputandum ;0)

Last edited:
Coming from the SQ LP I bought new in the 70's, then the Guthrie 5.1 SACD, on to the Immersion set, I really thought the quad mix was the definitive version. That's why, besides the price, I wasn;t going to buy this. And I would still feel that way until Baggins had to tell everyone that the Atmos mix is much better than the Parsons quad mix! I'm a sucker for swirling sounds especially over my head ;)

FOMO rapidly set in and I'm $300 poorer. OTOH, it's neat to have all the various versions. But in my heart, once I have both the Atmos mix as well as the orig 4 ch, there will be no reason to listen to it in stereo or 5.1. My only disappointment is having to rely on the Immersion disc, which could eventually rot, or play the SQ LP for the quad mix. I did rip the Immersion BD recently just in case.

This will be the 5th dip for me: SQ LP > Mofi gold CD > 5.1 SACD > Immersion set > this 50th anniversary set

I'm putting my foot down! Pink Floyd gets no more money from me for DSOTM! LOL
So - the Japanese 7" SACD release is not tempting? :cool:

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-10143

First listen: it was a summary/scan listen of some of the subtle and some of the bombastic portions of the album. I listened then, to the 5.1 mix. Anyway, I very much prefer the dreamy immersive mix of the Atmos to the stark immediacy of the 5.1 mix. And by dreamy I think I mean much less digital, more analog-sounding, maybe even slightly rolled off for the better. By immersive I mean the distribution of sounds is much more inclusive to the listener, with lots of great effects having more real estate within the dome, whether that be horizontally or vertically, but mostly both. Also, the Atmos version may even be a db or two light on LFE, but the balance of sound is very very good, regardless.

Yes, the cash register effect at the beginning of Money is interesting. In the 5.1 it begins in the center channel then ping-pongs to the other four bed speakers. In the Atmos version it starts in surround left and then proceeds to ping-pong to surround right and the two main fronts, no center, no return to surround left. Also, in the Atmos version none of those effects bleed upwards. No big deal, maybe they shouldn't (coin is heavy?). But if that's the only complaint (and it's really not one) then so be it. Overall, a great experience. :)
For those with the Blu-ray and raving reviews, how does it compare with the Apple Music stream? I gave it a quick listen in the morning (the streaming) and I'm still unimpressed
I have now listened to the bluray Atmos and 5.1 mixes, and the Apple stream (again). The stream is a bit compressed (doh!) and that is unfortunate, as I think the "dreamy immersive" quality of the TrueHD does not hold up when streamed..it's too rolled off for my taste.

I already have the SACD of The Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd, and the Immersion Box Set. Everything has been converted to FLAC or .dsf files. I really don't have the room anymore, so I skipped on purchasing this set. If SDE issues a BluRay only, I may consider a purchase. I am just 5.1 at this point anyway, I haven't added additional speakers for the ATMOS mix. But for now I am satisfied with the ATMOS downmix to 5.1 from Apple Music.

On my first and only listen so far, I like this mix. The vocals on Breathe sound smoother to me, and those explosions that form the segue between On the Run and Time seem more spread out (although I didn't do an A/B with the previous mix)

In the Atmos version it starts in surround left and then proceeds to ping-pong to surround right and the two main fronts, no center, no return to surround left. Also, in the Atmos version none of those effects bleed upwards.
When the loop comes back in at 1:18, it's in the heights! Not sure why he didn't keep it there for the intro too.

Back