Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ripping DSOTM now with MKV. A little complicated.
DVD-OK forget it.
Blu Ray I- 5.1 Surround, 24/192 Uncompressed Stereo and dts-HD MA stereo, seems simple enough.
Blu Ray II-Atmos, 24/192 Uncompressed Stereo and dts-HD MA stereo. Not sure why they put the same stereos on both Blu Rays, I guess for ease of listening.
Below is a picture of my rip schedule. I figure the bottom 10 chapter TRU HD is the actual album Atmos?
The middle 12 chapter 3 X TRU HD has me confused as there are three TRU-HD's. Well I ripped all as you can see by my checks, I'll let you know what I discover. It is a gapless album so in the case of myself, I will definitely keep the root folder for JRiver, but I will use MMH now and see what I come up with.
The onscreen opening menu has very cool music and I want to capture that also.
View attachment 90021
OK, I am getting there.
You want to rip the Top Title that says 1 Chapter, you want to include all three LPCM Surround 7.1 English. This is the menu music, very cool, by ripping all three you will get a total of 9:25, a good listen, only in the first frame you will get Pink Floyd-The Dark Side Of The Moon-50th Anniversary. There are subtle differences as it plays along. When going to MMH, you cannot rip this root folder into chapters, which is good, you don't want to anyway. I ripped as MKV, kept it as MKV and listened/watched via HDMI out of my PC via JRiver.
MIDDLE TITLE-12 Chapters, don't bother just silent menu graphics.
BOTTOM TITLE-10 CHAPTERS, this is the album Atmos mix. I was able to rip and play the root MKV folder, HDMI out in my JRiver Atmos Zone, gapless, all perfect. The onscreen menu does not show song titles which is a drag, just the rainbow pyramid. I am going to re-rip for chapters, just because. I think I goofed something up.

Regarding the 5.1 Blu Ray, not the Atmos Blu Ray. I am listening now to the 5.1 Uncompressed, there also is a 5.1 DTS HD-MSTR, not sure which is supposed to be better and not sure I would be able to tell the difference?

I've heard there is zero difference, once the DTS is unpacked.
I believe both are included, space allowing, to increase compatibility.
Great, that is what I thought, I'll just stick with my favorite, DTS-HD MSTR, listening to the ATMOS now, wowzer.
Way too many choices of the same thing over 3 discs, I hate it when they do that. The one Blu Ray could have handled stereo, ATMOS and 5.1.
You can buy a good Blu Ray player for cheaper than this box set.

the atmos release were removed from tidal! can i buy only the blu-ray atmos version somewhere?
It's not the first time that an album or special mix disappeared on streaming. And exactly one big point why I don't use streaming.
Another point is and I wanted to know always: how do the artists earn money when their music is streamed?

Oh jeez...I forgot about that title....dammit.
I had forgotten about that 'Who's Next' box set. Thanks for the reminder...another good reason not to buy this DSOTM box as it would seriously deplete my HSA (Health Surround Account.)
I thought I saw somewhere that the "Who's Next" box wouldn't come out until "maybe" September, so lots of time to save up.

We've all been warned about this hobby 💸

Personally I'm waiting for more DV & SDE stuff 😋
I agree, although I am disappointed to read early impressions of The Concert For George. Of course, we know TCFG will be in our rear view mirror once The Hurting arrives.

DV too is great although their releases are not always to my taste. OTOH, they ARE diverse across genres in their offerings. It’s kind of like having a diversified 401k LOL. I’ve bought many from their catalog but I don’t spring for absolutely everything that they release.

The mixes, have got me all scatterbrained.
Track 1
Atmos starts vocals center to top right.
5.1 left rear to right rear.
Downmix of Atmos to 5.1, right side rear to front.

I only stumbled because I got lost during my ripping.
I just don't have the time to geek out on all this, I wish I did because it is kind of interesting, maybe some of you Dark Side fellas can really dial it in.
One question, is the 5.1 on this Blu Ray 50th edition the same mix as the Analogue Productions 5.1 which the 7" Japanese package says there version is the same as the previous 5.1.
Really confused.
Why can't they just keep it nice and clean like the new Ten Years After?

My package escaped the black hole of Fife this morning.

I’ll say this for packaging... it came in a box from Amazon. Inside the box was a box. And inside that box was a third box that was holding the boxset. So if nothing else, I can praise this release for its secure packaging.

My package escaped the black hole of Fife this morning.

I’ll say this for packaging... it came in a box from Amazon. Inside the box was a box. And inside that box was a third box that was holding the boxset. So if nothing else, I can praise this release for its secure packaging.
So that's why it's so expensive. ;)

Back