Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Who box likely won’t from what I’ve heard - unless they decide to release a BD-A separately (which is unlikely). Although at least for The Who box, you’ll likely get a lot more value (new material/formats) for the price.

I don’t see it as an insult though. I just view it as a no-go.
Hopefully the Who will separate vinyl & optical discs…🙏

The Dark Side of the Moon was first performed live in Brighton in January 1972, a year before its release, so we're featuring Tony Stewart's NME report on the show – as well as Ian MacDonald's reappraisal of the album from February '74.

1674830939293.png

-------------------------------------------------------------
For anyone who's read Mojo magazine, writer Barney Hoskyns curates this excellent archival site of musical history.
It's a different kind of paywall business model, but merely registering with email gives access to a weekly array of articles that expire after seven days.

The podcasts, however, never expire and have a depth and variety that's impressive and highly recommended.

For Nick Mason S.O.S. fans, there are Gary Kemp articles this week, he will be the guest on the next podcast.
This weeks podcast features Pamela Des Barres interviewed about Zappa, The GTOs, and how the entire Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart came to the studio for a day at Frank's invitation to play on Permanent Damage.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If you'd stood in line at London's Blitz club in late 1979 and told Spandau Ballet's Gary Kemp that he would one day share a stage with Pink Floyd's Nick Mason, he might well have bopped you on the nose.

Yet share a stage with Mason – many stages – Gary has, and it gives us the chance this week both to celebrate Spandau and the New Romantics and to mark the 50th anniversary of Pink Floyd's prog-rock magnum opus.

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/

Just a heads up to everyone on here (cause I'm really tired of moving and deleting posts as they come up.)
Any posts concerning the war of words between Roger Waters and Polly Samson/David Gilmour will be moved and deleted.
This feud has no place on QQ.
Save it for Facebook, Twitter, and the other forum...

kthanx

I am concerned(maybe not rightfully so) about Guthries skills with ATMOS

He was brilliant in 5.1 mixes tho
This does not look promising for lossless ATMOS?

Any thoughts?

Original newly remastered album Atmos and high-resolution stereo mixes,
1. Dolby Atmos Mix
2. Stereo Mix – 24-bit/192kHz Uncompressed
3. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA

I am concerned(maybe not rightfully so) about Guthries skills with ATMOS

He was brilliant in 5.1 mixes tho
This does not look promising for lossless ATMOS?

Any thoughts?

Original newly remastered album Atmos and high-resolution stereo mixes,
1. Dolby Atmos Mix
2. Stereo Mix – 24-bit/192kHz Uncompressed
3. Stereo Mix – dts-HD MA
I would be shocked if it wasn't standard lossless Dolby TrueHD with Atmos.

History records that today is the 50th anniversary of the completion of the recording of DSOTM.

https://www.abbeyroad.com/news/the-dark-side-of-the-moon-studio-documents-3299

"On this day, Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon was completed.

Engineers Peter Bown and Peter James recorded various edits from the original master and edited them into the new master, which was copied and given to the group as well as sent to the Harvest label in America, ready for its eventual release on 1 March."

1675964957861.png

History records that today is the 50th anniversary of the completion of the recording of DSOTM.
I listened to the quad mix tonight in celebration. I'm aware it's probably not the 50th anniversary of the quad mix yet, but I just couldn't bring myself to listen to the stereo mix.

Now if this were the 50th anniversary of Wish You Were Here, absolutely I'd be listening to the stereo. Neither the quad nor 5.1 are improvements to me, and WYWH stereo was my introduction to Pink Floyd. Intrigued by the cover I idly put it into the CD player in a friend's room at university, and arguably my tastes in music have never been the same since.

No way I'm buying this box set right now at this price.

My only concern is the that initial reviews of the ATMOS mix come back 'mind blowing' good. Like 2 hits of purple blotter mind blowing good.

And then right as rain, I'm gonna' have to drop $300 on the box.
Man, your post is giving me flashbacks . . . in the best possible weigh – heavy! And, go figure, Pink Floyd is involved in the flashback! So. Very. Purple. . . . and Pink . . . and Purple.

Back