Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sad thing so far is the Atmos disc is only available as part of the box set of records and I have no desire to ever own records. And it’s USD$300 vs just sell the Atmos disc for $100

Thanks for the reply. Any insight on the 2/2 notification?

That is great about the Atmos version, Unfortunately my receiver does not support Atmos.
That’s how some systems display vs 5.1 which is displayed 3.2.1

The sad thing so far is the Atmos disc is only available as part of the box set of records and I have no desire to ever own records. And it’s USD$300 vs just sell the Atmos disc for $100
Not to worry, as soon as they think they've milked the collectors for all they can, then they'll release a stand-alone for the rest of us. :mad:

Hi, in California Apple4K the 50th is up, very cool logo graphics.
Only two songs will play, both in stereo and none in Atmos as of this writing.
The Great Gig In The Sky and Brain Damage.
Nothing has changed for me since yesterday, here is the link, I like looking at the logo.

Fold down doesn't really apply to Atmos. A good Atmos mix will sound good in 5.1, with or without an Atmos receiver. Specifically, which two releases sound good in 5.1 and not Atmos? Although I haven't found any releases with both new mixes, and only the 5.1 sounds good, I certainly wouldn't base any conclusions on only two releases. I was streaming Atmos music mixes for months without decoding the Atmos, and just listening to the 5.1 "bed", through my Oppo, and many sounded fantastic.
Your opinion is right too. So we got that goin' for us. We looked at 'atmos' info until we were blue in the face. Regardless still, my main point is that we do not want to lose other formats. Our hearing is subjective of course too. And we're not about to remove our ceiling fan (high up the incline/middle ceiling. In reverse, it helps move heat in our place.) We LIKE dts ma. We are not city folks and being in the sticks limits internet and steaming...yup even today in some parts. Hope DTS-MA stays put. Have a great day~ Mike ...read this and the comment below main article a few years ago. Including Dolbys own site..all interesting. Is a 5.1.2 Setup Sufficient for Atmos Surround? And....

Subjectively...

Last edited:
Maybe another marketing trick, but the box seems to be sold out in PF's official store. I guess it's just to convince people that it's really a limited edition.
I'm really struggling to decide what to do with my order. I only want the Atmos Blu-ray (and based on what I listened so far I'm not even sure) and Wembley vinyl. Maybe I'll keep the order, rip the Blu-ray and sell everything. Don't really know what to do. Being a PF nuts, I'm really disappointed for the close to 0 excitement I feel about this release. Icing on the cake is that I have a ticket for Roger's concert in Madrid on Friday and I don't feel like going either :(

Don't really know what to do. Being a PF nuts, I'm really disappointed for the close to 0 excitement I feel about this release.
I'm with you there. There is so much great Atmos potenial with that album but I just know I'll be disappointed with the release. :(
Maybe we had so much tension build up waiting for the Animals 5.1 that now we're all out of excitement. LOL

Icing on the cake is that I have a ticket for Roger's concert in Madrid on Friday and I don't feel like going either :(
I'd only go if I could bring rotten tomatoes to throw at him. :p

Started a thread, but in case anyone missed it: Planetarium shows with surround sound (hopefully atmos but no word).

https://www.pinkfloyd.com/tdsotm50/planetarium-shows/
" In the modern parlance it’s truly immersive; an all encompassing surround sound and visual treat that will transcend reality and take you way beyond the realms of 2D experience. "

Started a thread, but in case anyone missed it: Planetarium shows with surround sound (hopefully atmos but no word).

" In the modern parlance it’s truly immersive; an all encompassing surround sound and visual treat that will transcend reality and take you way beyond the realms of 2D experience. "

I used to attend laser light shows at the Triton College planetarium in Elmhurst IL. They use to do one to DSOTM every couple months and still do.. Looks like they're now doing special 50th anniversary shows. If your in the Chicago area check this out, it's just too much fun!
https://www.triton.edu/campus/cernan-center/cosmic-light-shows/
"The Triton College Cernan Earth and Space Center planetarium will be showing Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon Cosmic Light Show from March through April 2023, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Pink Floyd album release.
Audiences of all ages are invited to sit back … relax … and enjoy this timeless classic accompanied by brilliant lasers, digital effects and thousands of stars!
From 1973 to 2023, Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon continues to be the quintessential soundtrack for a planetarium light show.
Take a voyage to the dark side of the moon within the unique environment of the planetarium.
Show times for the Dark Side of the Moon Cosmic Light Show are 8:30 p.m., on Saturday evenings throughout March and April 2023, except April 1, 2023.
Special afternoon performances will be offered Monday through Friday, March 27 to April 7, 2023 at 3 p.m."

I used to attend laser light shows at the Triton College planetarium in Elmhurst IL. They use to do one to DSOTM every couple months and still do.. Looks like they're now doing special 50th anniversary shows. If your in the Chicago area check this out, it's just too much fun!
"The Triton College Cernan Earth and Space Center planetarium will be showing Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon Cosmic Light Show from March through April 2023, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Pink Floyd album release.
Audiences of all ages are invited to sit back … relax … and enjoy this timeless classic accompanied by brilliant lasers, digital effects and thousands of stars!
From 1973 to 2023, Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon continues to be the quintessential soundtrack for a planetarium light show.
Take a voyage to the dark side of the moon within the unique environment of the planetarium.
Show times for the Dark Side of the Moon Cosmic Light Show are 8:30 p.m., on Saturday evenings throughout March and April 2023, except April 1, 2023.
Special afternoon performances will be offered Monday through Friday, March 27 to April 7, 2023 at 3 p.m."

Yeah, I've seen DSotM laser shows before, but that link seems to be describing something else. I don't believe what I saw was in surround- but that was before my multichannel days si I may not have noticed. I'm hoping from the description it's full-on Atmos, with ceiling speakers all around and many bed channels- not to mention many subs! What is the Atmos limit- 32 channels? Whatever it is- use 'em all!

Omly problem, my googling so far has returned no results for where the 100 planetarium shows are. But hopefully more will soon be revealed.

Thanks for sharing! I live about 45 minutes north of there and never knew about that university (that’s Chicago for you). I will definitely try to check out but I doubt it will be Atmos.

We used to go to those laser light shows at Triton College when I was a kid. I remember Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime and Gary Numan - Cars being played. Dark Side of the Moon would be awesome!

Back