Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Downloaded, 50th Anniversary edition of DSOTM/Dolby Atmos/Amazon Music
It sounds fine, on my Sonos Arc; but I'm disappointed, with the lack of WOW factor
I guess streamed Atmos won't do it for me, like DVD/A, or BluRay audio discs
I'm NOT paying $300, to listen to the BluRay/Atmos disc
Also, the only way I can play it back, is through my IPhone 12
The Amazon Music app, is useless for Atmos, on my Apple TV 4K, or my Sony 77" TV,
as well as my Mac
C'mon, Amazon; get with the program
Thoughts?
I might be ignorant about the terminology used regarding streaming, but I always thought of streaming as playing something that resides elsewhere over the Internet. Once you download something and play it, is it still streaming? And isn't the Sonos Arc a soundbar? I've never experienced Atmos through a soundbar, so I don't know what it would sound like.

I think DSOTM played via Apple Music on the Apple TV 4K sounds quite good, at least to me.

It sounds fine, on my Sonos Arc; but I'm disappointed, with the lack of WOW factor
The Amazon Music app, is useless for Atmos, on my Apple TV 4K, or my Sony 77" TV,
as well as my Mac
Thoughts?
It sounds like you are streaming wirelessly from your iPhone to your Sonos?

Unless I am very much mistaken, iPhones do not support wireless Atmos, regardless of what app you are using.

as well as my Mac
Thoughts?
As far as i’m aware you have to use an amazon device to listen to atmos on amazon music, ie a firestick 4k or an echo studio, not surprisingly really, why wouldn’t they want you to spend money on their products rather than someone else’s ?

Yeah....different speed is always down to wrong sample rate....but has the pitch fallen as well ?
If one lays the tracks underneath each other and then use global mute to select between the two different versions the pitch change should be obvious.
Were the two mixes in question made from the exact same analog source tapes, played back on the exact same analog tape machine, and digitized at exactly the same time? If not, then you can guarantee there would be some minor (inaudible) pitch variation due to analog speed tolerances, between the two resultant mixes.

Last edited:
Were the two mixes in question made from the exact same analog source tapes, played back on the exact same analog tape machine, and digitized at exactly the same time? If not, then you can guarantee there would be some minor (inaudible) pitch variation due to analog speed tolerances, between the two resultant mixes.
I thought that the versions were meant to be exactly the same..the only thing that has changed is the length ( or have I got that wrong ?)
I am familiar with multi track tape machines ..I used to sync two 24 track Studers !

Yeah no offence to the OP but Atmos on a sound bar is a farce........
Not necessarily; it depends on the source
The Sonos Arc, CAN DECODE, Dolby True HD/Atmos, from 4K/Blurays
For example; the sound from Top Gun Maverick, & No Time to Die, is PHENOMENAL
I guess unless you have an Amazon device, you won't get the Atmos signal, from their streams

I have to agree with Sal 1950! The Atmos mix (from the 50th Anniversary Box Set) is by and far the best DSOTM version ever made and it's a beautiful box set!!! I have the Immersion Box set, and all the SACD's made including the new very pretty Japanese cardboard version. The Atmos version is really special and I'm glad I spent the $300 on it! That being said, the next version has to tie my shoes, wipe my nose (and something else;)) , pour me a nice glass of cab to drink while I watch the laser light show that the virtual reality holograph that will come with it for the $500+ price tag that will come! Otherwise I'm done with DSOTM. I'll just find some local theatre that still offers the 1970's laser light show while they play the original stereo version on their lame 40 y/o stereo system, and I'll polish off a bottle of wine before I go. You know, how you listened to it back in the 70's;)

Now, what about an Atmos mix of "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall" before I retire and can no longer afford these crazy priced box sets, just to get Atmos versions:rolleyes: I wish you guys out there all good luck who are waiting for a single Atmos BD of DSOTM. I think Dave Gilmour has to die first. Too much money from fools like us :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I have to agree with Sal 1950! The Atmos mix (from the 50th Anniversary Box Set) is by and far the best DSOTM version ever made and it's a beautiful box set!!! I have the Immersion Box set, and all the SACD's made including the new very pretty Japanese cardboard version. The Atmos version is really special and I'm glad I spent the $300 on it! That being said, the next version has to tie my shoes, wipe my nose (and something else;)) , pour me a nice glass of cab to drink while I watch the laser light show that the virtual reality holograph that will come with it for the $500+ price tag that will come! Otherwise I'm done with DSOTM. I'll just find some local theatre that still offers the 1970's laser light show while they play the original stereo version on their lame 40 y/o stereo system, and I'll polish off a bottle of wine before I go. You know, how you listened to it back in the 70's;)

Now, what about an Atmos mix of "Wish You Were Here" and "The Wall" before I retire and can no longer afford these crazy priced box sets, just to get Atmos versions:rolleyes: I wish you guys out there all good luck who are waiting for a single Atmos BD of DSOTM. I think Dave Gilmour has to die first. Too much money from fools like us :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I predict a stand alone Atmos release before the end of the year.

I predict a stand alone Atmos release before the end of the year.
Now you tell me...:D
I believe that will be the, “Ha! You suckers who bought the big box should have been more patient!” edition.

Oh well... I’ll try not to sweat it if it happens.

Just daydreaming a bit... if a standalone disc with Atmos included the Quad mix...

Following up on my previous post here and in the poll thread (apologies for posting in the poll thread), I've done a few more tests.

I compared all 10 tracks of the 2011 5.1 mix and the 2023 5.1 mix. Spectrograms and track speeds are different. Therefore, performing a null test to hear the differences proved difficult. As you can see from the screenshots below, the alleged transcoding problem applies to all tracks. The speed difference between 2011 and 2023 mixes also applies to all tracks. The variation in speed is so minimal that it can't be heard, but it is a symptom that the 2023 5.1 mix is not simply a copy and paste of the 2011 5.1 mix on a new disc. There have been some errors in the process of converting from DSD to PCM, or along the way.

Just for context, the DR values are below just to highlight the 2023 5.1 mix is slightly quieter than the 2011 5.1 mix.
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Pink Floyd / The Dark Side of the Moon (5.1 Mix)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR         Peak         RMS     Duration Track
DR13     -13.42 dB   -34.27 dB      1:08 01-Speak to Me
DR11      -2.10 dB   -19.21 dB      2:50 02-Breathe (in the Air)
DR12      -2.26 dB   -21.76 dB      3:34 03-On the Run
DR12      -1.92 dB   -18.52 dB      7:04 04-Time / Breathe (reprise)
DR11      -2.00 dB   -21.32 dB      4:44 05-The Great Gig in the Sky
DR12      -1.67 dB   -19.06 dB      6:17 06-Money
DR11      -2.15 dB   -18.15 dB      7:57 07-Us and Them
DR10      -4.11 dB   -18.59 dB      3:25 08-Any Colour You Like
DR11      -1.66 dB   -20.01 dB      3:51 09-Brain Damage
DR10      -1.96 dB   -18.12 dB      2:14 10-Eclipse

Number of tracks:  10
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate:        96000 Hz
Channels:          6
Bits per sample:   24
Bitrate:           8074 kbps
Codec:             FLAC
================================================================================

I am pretty confident this is not the way this mix was supposed to be presented on the Blu-ray disc of the 2023 box set, and the only reason why I am not complaining too much is because I also own the 2011 box set.

I have also compared the two rips of the 2023 stereo remaster (one from the 5.1 Blu-ray disc and the second from the Atmos Blu-ray disc), and I can confirm the two rips are identical, and therefore, the only issue with this box set lies in the 5.1 mix, in my view.

But what about when comparing both Blu-rays to the 2003 SACD?

On the Atmos mix "Us and Them" sounds more like the original stereo mix tonally speaking, compared to the 5.1 which is different, has louder cymbals. Not bad, but that lack of cymbals in the last two tracks is well, inconsistent with the rest of the mix and sounds quite bad - to me, at least.
It's frustrating to see that they can't produce a proper 'definitive' mix. All they had to do is take the original stereo mix, re-create it with modern technology to improve fidelity and also expand on it in 5.1 and atmos. Maybe some minor changes here and there if need be. Otherwise the template of the stereo mix is excellent! But I guess there will be more "anniversary" issues at 55, 60, 65, and so on. :):):)
Charging so much for the 50th box with only the Atmos mix being new (and not quite amazing,imo) is basically selling expensive packaging. What a joke!
Was really hoping for a better quality re-do in 5.1 on this set too....but no go. Maybe things to come? Bad news if it is..

Just listened to DSOTM, on my AppleTV/4K/Apple Music
Still don't think it's worth the $300 investment
My Immersion Surround set, just plain sounds better to me
Of course, a BluRay audio/Atmos/True HD, disc, probably takes the cake
Oh, well..........

Back