Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It states that Atmos is designed to be heard by Headphones and home theatre's.
It just stuck me the emphasis on using Headphones to listen to Atmos.
I thought the headphone reference was minimal. I thought the focus was the listening event at that Dolby screening room. It left me wondering how actually dark the room was, and how many people were there.

Finally found someone in my area who doesn't care about the BDs in the set and sold me DISC 2 for CDN$40. I have the Immersion set and the 2003 SACD so I only wanted the lossless Atmos - excited to give it an audition over lunch today.
If you know anyone else, willing to sell the Blu Ray disc, I'll pay IMMEDIATELY; as long as its not ridiculous

Why ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ still matters at 50, and not just to dads​

Pink Floyd’s masterpiece maintains a cross-generational appeal that has made it the fourth-best-selling album of all time

Link to Washington Post appreciation on the occasion of the new Sid Barrett film.

https://wapo.st/3pUF2bP

Pink Floyd’s masterpiece maintains a cross-generational appeal that has made it the fourth-best-selling album of all time

Link to Washington Post appreciation on the occasion of the new Sid Barrett film.

Better read than I expected...
I was about 6 years too young to fit within the timeframe, but I still dig the article.

Better read than I expected...
I was about 6 years too young to fit within the timeframe, but I still dig the article.
It is a good article but I wonder how many in the younger generations (those born after 1990 that didn't come of age until 2000) really do care about, or are even familiar with, the album. I am sure there are some, but I would think they are a small minority. It might come down to how much they were passively brain-washed as their parents listened to it.

The Who just released info of the contents for different configurations of their September release of Who's Next. Now THAT'S how you do a SDE and for practically the same cost as DSOTM 50TH.
couldn't agree more my friend.
The new SDE of "Who's Next" is clearly the ultimate release of the album and has just about everything fans could want whereas this new 50th anniversary edition of "Dark Side" offered less content than the Immersion Edition for a higher price!
Now if/when PF put out "The Wall" in surround sound, I'm afraid I would spend ~$300 if I had to in order to hear the album in surround sound on disc.

:)

It's a great album, you could almost think it's about you,love listening to vinyl quadrophonic

Don't they mean "not just to grandfathers".

they were passively brain-washed as their parents listened to it.
I think you are being a bit overly dramatic with that comment. Most kids don't go out of their way to be like their parents. If they did get introduced to the album through their parents, and continued to enjoy it later on, it was because it is damn good music, not because of any "brainwashing".

One of the problems I've noticed as to why the younger generations might miss the album's significance is that while they may vaguely know of the name "Pink Floyd" (or the prism cover), if their curiosity is piqued they then go to a streaming service which just suggests popular tracks (like "Time" or "Money"). I've seen this a lot on YouTube Floydian reaction videos, but oldies (or new fans) who comment on the reactions try to emphasise that the whole album should be listened to all the way through, not just individual tracks out of context (the idea of a "concept album" being a tad weird to them, as is the way each track blends into the next). Many who take up the suggestion go on to listen to the whole album and are blown away by it.

Alright, so we know Atmos is first and foremost a copy protection scheme. Force people to buy a whole-ass new receiver to play their new music by refusing to release the decoder to any software media player. (And only selling their reference player to corporate partners at present.) The nerdy addition of 4 channels being a very distant 2nd.

The original quad album is said to be responsible for putting surround systems into people's homes en masse. The mix is so far ahead of its time. Kind of a big deal.

This should be some end all be all remix to celebrate the new 12 channel format. It sounds subdued in fidelity and there's less sound in motion than the original stereo mix. Mixed for stereo ear bud listeners or soundbar listeners perhaps? Mighty insulting to the original mix (which is not included in this set - obviously) and insulting to anyone who hung 4 speakers from their ceiling hoping to hear something interesting for it. Complete rubbish novelty reissue.

https://store.pinkfloyd.com/products/the-dark-side-of-the-moon-50th-anniversary-blu-ray
1693401637018.png

Last edited:
Back