HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
My Denon receiver unfortunately won’t correctly play the 4.0 mix. What’s output is just the front channels and the player indicates it’s 2.0. My old Yamaha receiver was able to play it without any troubles. I’ve tested this with other 4.0 discs I have in PCM and there is definitely an issue with the receiver correctly decoding and not with the blu ray player which correctly indicates it’s playing a 4.0 mix. Has anyone else had similar issues ? The 5.1 track plays with no issues.
Can you rip the disc to FLAC and playback that way? If you can download HomerJAU's MMH software and add in a silent Centre & LFE and it'll play.

My Denon receiver unfortunately won’t correctly play the 4.0 mix. What’s output is just the front channels and the player indicates it’s 2.0. My old Yamaha receiver was able to play it without any troubles. I’ve tested this with other 4.0 discs I have in PCM and there is definitely an issue with the receiver correctly decoding and not with the blu ray player which correctly indicates it’s playing a 4.0 mix. Has anyone else had similar issues ? The 5.1 track plays with no issues.
Unfortunately i have the same problem with my new Marantz SR8012 and my new Pioneer UDP-LX500. It looks like the player identifies the quad track but it won´t be played on my amplifier. Marantz says that some players don´t work perfectly together with the amplifier. I have given up the complaining and am now instead playing them as flac files ripped from the disc with extra empty tracks so it gets played as it should. Actually i can play the quad if it is an DVD-V where i can play the ripped VOB-files and shoose Quad as audio. As my player has an USB port i am more and more playing from external hard drives.

Unfortunately i have the same problem with my new Marantz SR8012 and my new Pioneer UDP-LX500. It looks like the player identifies the quad track but it won´t be played on my amplifier. Marantz says that some players don´t work perfectly together with the amplifier. I have given up the complaining and am now instead playing them as flac files ripped from the disc with extra empty tracks so it gets played as it should. Actually i can play the quad if it is an DVD-V where i can play the ripped VOB-files and shoose Quad as audio. As my player has an USB port i am more and more playing from external hard drives.
I’ve complained to Denon without any success as well and they won’t recognise the issue. It’s strange as I have a Denon blu ray player so you would think they could work together. There is definitely an issue with the amp not recognising 4.0 PCM.

Are you using the straight X800, or the X800M2? Firmware uptodate, etc? I'm using the X800 with firmware checked about a week ago.

Dear @kap'n krunch
I was checking some comments on DSOT Blu-ray Alan Parsons mix. I noticed that you rated this title with a score of 5 ???
Good eye, I think the AP mix is THE industry standard and I THINK it was because the poll is for the BluRay which also features that abominable waste of plastic and studio time that is the Guthrie (ugh!) "mix"...and that is why it's a "5" ..if it were only the AP Quad mix, it would be an 11!!!!

Good eye, I think the AP mix is THE industry standard and I THINK it was because the poll is for the BluRay which also features that abominable waste of plastic and studio time that is the Guthrie (ugh!) "mix"...and that is why it's a "5" ..if it were only the AP Quad mix, it would be an 11!!!!
I like the fact that they gave us both mixes. I agree that the AP mix is better, but having the Guthrie mix included gives the listener the chance to compare the two and form their own conclusions.

Question born of ignorance: Isn't what is referred to as the Alan Parsons Mix in actuality the Chris Thomas mix? The reason I ask is it is a fact that the Floyd called on Thomas to do the final for DSOTM. Parson's has stated that there was a difference of approach as far as compression goes between himself and Thomas, but he (Parsons) felt Thomas did what was best for the music at hand. My memory is a bit hazy on Parsons involvement with the original quad mix, although I would not be surprised if it is truly his work in that regard. Thanks for any response on this one.

Back