HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

• 6:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Tried posting pic several times...gave up

Thanks for the warnings but i never buy anything from new sellers or sellers with little to no feedback

When o bought my complete Led Zepplin cd set years ago i spent alot of time and $$$ to be sure i didnt end up w fake set. I'm an adult and will purchase what i want and from whom I wish...but again thanks for the advice

Am I one of the few who really like both versions for different reasons? I think that the people who call James Guthrie's version 'big stereo' just haven't really listened to both versions very much. The JG version is very different in some spots, but it has better overall fidelity, much better and more dynamically consistent bass, and yes, a big, full, balanced sound. I really love Parson's mix; it is a lot more discrete overall, but it almost seems slightly unfinished in the overall balance.

Edit: Through a garbled space transmission, I somehow ended up listening to all of the quad version whilst thinking I was listening to the JG 5.1 mix. Now I'm listening to the actual Guthrie version, and I'm feeling like something is missing. :eek:

Last edited:
Am I one of the few who really like both versions for different reasons? I think that the people who call James Guthrie's version 'big stereo' just haven't really listened to both versions very much. The JG version is very different in some spots, but it has better overall fidelity, much better and more dynamically consistent bass, and yes, a big, full, balanced sound. I really love Parson's mix; it is a lot more discrete overall, but it almost seems slightly unfinished in the overall balance.

Edit: Through a garbled space transmission, I somehow ended up listening to all of the quad version whilst thinking I was listening to the JG 5.1 mix. Now I'm listening to the actual Guthrie version, and I'm feeling like something is missing. :eek:

I am also one of the few. Ditto for exactly the same reasons. You have good taste and ears :)

I plan to revisit the entire Blu-ray soon, but I recall Guthrie's mix sounding cluttered, sometimes. Parsons' being more adventurous and spacious, it's easily a favorite for me.

I am also one of the few. Ditto for exactly the same reasons. You have good taste and ears :)

And Alan Parsons to a degree agrees with you. In a magazine article awhile back he compared the JG mix to his own quad mix on a track by track basis. While it's a given there was stuff Parsons didn't like, there were also things he did like on certain JG tracks. It also didn't help that the original quad mix didn't have mix time allotted that it needed.

My 2 cents: If I *had* to pick only one, I'd go with the original quad mix, but thankfully I don't have to. :cool:

My blu ray from the Immersion box won't play, has anyone else had this problem? It used to play fine, but after reading about the discs manufactured in Germany having issues on the Hoffman site, I checked tonight to see if mine would still play, and sure enough - I got the 'unknown disc' message. I emailed them at [email protected] for a replacement, whereupon I was informed that they stopped that service. How convenient! You guys should check your discs to see if they still play.

So interesting...I put on the Blu Ray 4.0 and got 2.0??? System shows 4.0 on both the player and receiver. Very underwhelming Quad mix on the BDA, like non existent...? Figured I'd test something out, I switched to the DVD Dolby mix at 640Kbps and all 4 speakers LIT up! I wonder if I got a bad BDA? 5.1 BDA sounds great...

So interesting...I put on the Blu Ray 4.0 and got 2.0??? System shows 4.0 on both the player and receiver. Very underwhelming Quad mix on the BDA, like non existent...? Figured I'd test something out, I switched to the DVD Dolby mix at 640Kbps and all 4 speakers LIT up! I wonder if I got a bad BDA? 5.1 BDA sounds great...
Your player might not like pure 4.0. Do you have an alternate player? I know my Sony has this trouble sometimes, but my OPPO handles it fine.

Your player might not like pure 4.0. Do you have an alternate player? I know my Sony has this trouble sometimes, but my OPPO handles it fine.
My hesitation about switching players, is that my other player is an older Sony Blu Ray!! LOL. :SB If my Sony x800 can't handle the 4.0, the older one might not either. Darn Sony x800 if it's not locking up...then it's something else ARGH! :oops: but I shouldn't complain too much, the x800 has played everything I've thrown at it...until PF DSOTM Quad BDA!!

My hesitation about switching players, is that my other player is an older Sony Blu Ray!! LOL. :SB If my Sony x800 can't handle the 4.0, the older one might not either. Darn Sony x800 if it's not locking up...then it's something else ARGH! :oops: but I shouldn't complain too much, the x800 has played everything I've thrown at it...until PF DSOTM Quad BDA!!
I believe my x800 did the same thing when I tried to play the quads on Give Me Strength. I bet the DVD from that set sounds really good. Still, the BD mastering is awesome! I hope you get it working at some point.

Thanks Mike!! Appreciate the fast replies and suggestion. I will say the Dolby isn't half bad, for what it is at 640kbps (beggars can't be choosers - of course I would have liked a dts 1500 kbps mastering).

Been wanting to hear the Parsons quad for a long, long time so I'm glad to have something working rather than no version. I listened to the BDA 5.1 for a few moments, switching back and fourth from the 4.0, just to make sure I wasn't crazy and my system was working correctly. Although I need to put the SACD back on, the BDA sounded sweet, maybe better than what I remember from listening to the SACD.

Have a Merry Christmas my "Life in Surround" buddy!

Cherish those Oppo players:

The X800 can't handle 4 channel FLAC, you need to pad your files with an empty center channel and they'll play properly. @HomerJAU's music helper app is perfect for this.

Back