Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" Blu-ray disc failure

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still rather irreconcilable to me why disc failures usually ONLY occur with BD~Audio discs and not SACDs, BD~Video discs or DVD~A/DVD discs. In my memory, we've had failures with DSOTM, Byran Adams Reckless, Abbey Road to name a few and the culprit has still not manifested inself!

What gives?

It's still rather irreconcilable to me why disc failures usually ONLY occur with BD~Audio discs and not SACDs, BD~Video discs or DVD~A/DVD discs.
Apparently, there have also been issues with video Blu-rays pressed by Optimal. Given that "Blu-ray Audio" doesn't really exist—a separate standard was proposed, but never implemented, making all "BD-As" technically BD-Vs—this makes perfect sense. Even if there were a separate standard, that would be software-only, just as with DVD-A vs. DVD-V.

It's still rather irreconcilable to me why disc failures usually ONLY occur with BD~Audio discs and not SACDs, BD~Video discs or DVD~A/DVD discs. In my memory, we've had failures with DSOTM, Byran Adams Reckless, Abbey Road to name a few and the culprit has still not manifested inself!

What gives?
...and I had a faulty copy of Drums and Wires by XTC....

It's still rather irreconcilable to me why disc failures usually ONLY occur with BD~Audio discs and not SACDs, BD~Video discs or DVD~A/DVD discs.

The first video disc I can remember failing was the original DVD of "Vertigo". Played fine when I got it but nothing has recognized it for years.

I've also got a DVD of Argento's "Phenomena" that has simply never played. Allegedly they were all like that.

I decided to play my Dark Side of the moon Bluray from the Immersion box set and it doesn't fu#@ing play on any of my players including my Oppo. I have joined the group of people who have a dead Bluray!!!!

I did try to get a replacement with the knowledge that I might have a dead disc and now my worst fears are true.

I am glad I refused to buy the later years box despite the fact that I am a huge fan of pink floyd.

I decided to play my Dark Side of the moon Bluray from the Immersion box set and it doesn't fu#@ing play on any of my players including my Oppo. I have joined the group of people who have a dead Bluray!!!!

I did try to get a replacement with the knowledge that I might have a dead disc and now my worst fears are true.

I am glad I refused to buy the later years box despite the fact that I am a huge fan of pink floyd.
I need to give credit when it is due. Incredibly I received a replacement Bluray disc for my Dark side of the moon failure

I still have grave concerns about Bluray discs technology because of their failure rate.

I need to give credit when it is due. Incredibly I received a replacement Bluray disc for my Dark side of the moon failure

I still have grave concerns about Bluray discs technology because of their failure rate.

Yep Yep Awesome to hear Rana - like Snood was saying on the page before.........if it only a drink coaster now, send those lil bastards in. What ya'll got to lose cept small cost of postage. Seems they musta got a small supply in soooooooooo send those suckas in :SB

Like me said - already had a disc, but it went bad.....sent it in took awhile but got the replacement............theeeeeeeeeeeeeeen Snood thought hmmmm me not have the immersion box, found someone other side of the pound selling one dirt complete with saying this bluray was faulty everything else was nearmint and included. Went hmmmmm buy it dirt cheap send another faulty disc in even though it looked like they were not replacing..........sent it in and think it took about 3 months TA DA new replacement disc show up to make box set complete :rocks

I got super lucky, I requested a replacement disc from AE Crate email address and they sent it to me, didn't ask for the defective disc to be sent and did not ask for me to pay postage. My disc isn't atually defective, I just can't get my receiver to play the quad on the blu ray, it only plays stereo. So I'm stuck with the DD 640kbps dvd for the Quad.

Thought I'd report that today I received a replacement TDSOTM Immersion Blu-ray disc in the mail, so the program is still in place, for anyone out there that still has a dead one needing replacement.

It all proceeded fairly promptly, a pleasant surprise after being prepared for a long wait based on others' experiences. I sent an email to [email protected] on August 30, 2022 with my purchase receipt from Amazon attached for the Immersion box set, which I bought (new from a third-party seller) on May 18, 2020. I immediately received an automated reply saying "The email account is only for issues relating to The Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here & Blu-rays contained within the Immersion Box Sets. This email account is checked intermittently. We will respond to you at some point, but not always straight away. Please provide evidence of proof of purchase and a postal address." I replied to that, again attaching my Amazon receipt and listing my mailing address. I received another email on September 7 (so, only a week later) saying "Got it, thanks! I'll send a disc." And there it was today, waiting for me in the mailbox, just a little over two weeks later, sent from England.

I immediately ripped an MKV backup, just in case (guess I need to start doing that with all my surround Blu-rays (had already ripped the Animals Blu-ray as soon as I got it), given how many seem to be time bombs, but that might fill up my hard drive!). Then I played Dark Side in quad, meaning just to sample it to confirm it's working, but of course it sucked me in and I cranked it up and sat there loving it all the way through. Perfect example of a surround mix that can bring an album you've heard in stereo thousands of times, back to life from the overplayed-graveyard. Zombie Dark Side!

Note that the email auto-reply I received references the Wish You Were Here Immersion box set in addition to Dark Side, so sounds like those with defective WYWH Blu-rays could get that replaced also, if you have proof of purchase. I never bought that Immersion box, since I already had the 2011 Analogue Productions WYWH SACD and I didn't need any more marbles.

I never bought that Immersion box, since I already had the 2011 Analogue Productions WYWH SACD and I didn't need any more marbles.
New Animals mix discussions pointed out the WYWH Immersion CD 2 has the exclusive unreleased Raving and Drooling live at Wembley 1974 precursor. @rontoon

Thanks for the link, re-assurance & reminder to spin that one this weekend.

Thought I'd report that today I received a replacement TDSOTM Immersion Blu-ray disc in the mail, so the program is still in place, for anyone out there that still has a dead one needing replacement.
Thanks for update! So no need to return them original faulty BD and just confirm my purchase from Amazon?

Last edited:
Correct, they don't ask for return of the original disc, just that you send proof of purchase.
To be fair, you do not even need to provide proof of purchase. Proof of ownership was sufficient when replacing my TDSOTM and WYWH defective BluRay discs. I sent them some photographs to confirm this as both boxes were gifted to me and I had no receipt.

Seems the replacement program has ended since Sept 2022. I just an email requesting new discs since mine aren't playing the quad tracks properly now. And immediately got this auto-reply from aecreate.com:

"Hi there,

Update: September 2022

The programme has now ended for Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here Blu-rays.

Best,
aeCreate"

Bummer! I do have a player and receiver in another setup which still plays the quad tracks OK but my main room doesn't. Only plays in 2 ch from my Oppo 205, 203 & Sony 11000ES. Oddly, the Oppo 105 does play them OK, with all 4 channels. The others & processor only play the L&R; they tracks don't seem to be downmixed, instead the rears are just dropped. Bought both Immersion sets in latter part of 2013 so I've owned them awhile.

Out of curiosity, I also checked the BR disc from the box set of Jethro Tull Aqualung, which was around the same time frame. And both the Steven Wilson 5.1 & legacy quad tracks play perfectly so it's not the players & processor. And checked a 4.0 SACD, 5.1 DVD-A, and they all play OK.

I have never seen this error with any discs in my collection so something is definitely strange with the PF BD's, disc rot, weird disc authoring or both!

I don't want to buy 2 sets from an Ebay or Amazon seller and pay OOP $200 prices with no guarantee the discs are OK. Not sure what to do at the point. Punt? Or just play on the setup that works...

Last edited:
Seems the replacement program has ended since Sept 2022. I just an email requesting new discs since mine aren't playing the quad tracks properly now. And immediately got this auto-reply from aecreate.com:

"Hi there,

The programme has now ended for Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here Blu-rays.

Best,
aeCreate"

Bummer! I do have a player and receiver in another setup which still plays the quad tracks OK but my main room doesn't. Only plays in 2 ch from my Oppo 205, 203 & Sony 11000ES. Oddly, the Oppo 105 does play them OK, with all 4 channels. The others & processor only play the L&R; they tracks don't seem to be downmixed, instead the rears are just dropped. Bought both Immersion sets in latter part of 2013 so I've owned them awhile.

Out of curiosity, I also checked the BR disc from the box set of Jethro Tull Aqualung, which was around the same time frame. And both the Steven Wilson 5.1 & legacy quad tracks play perfectly so it's not the players & processor. And checked a 4.0 SACD, 5.1 DVD-A, and they all play OK.

I have never seen this error with any discs in my collection so something is definitely strange with the PF BD's, disc rot, weird disc authoring or both!
The Quad mix on the DVD still plays (I believe). This is my goto version. I was lucky to get a Bluray replacement.

It all proceeded fairly promptly, a pleasant surprise after being prepared for a long wait based on others' experiences. I sent an email to [email protected] on August 30, 2022 with my purchase receipt from Amazon attached for the Immersion box set, which I bought (new from a third-party seller) on May 18, 2020. I immediately received an automated reply saying "The email account is only for issues relating to The Dark Side of The Moon and Wish You Were Here & Blu-rays contained within the Immersion Box Sets. This email account is checked intermittently. We will respond to you at some point, but not always straight away. Please provide evidence of proof of purchase and a postal address." I replied to that, again attaching my Amazon receipt and listing my mailing address. I received another email on September 7 (so, only a week later) saying "Got it, thanks! I'll send a disc." And there it was today, waiting for me in the mailbox, just a little over two weeks later, sent from England.

I immediately ripped an MKV backup, just in case (guess I need to start doing that with all my surround Blu-rays (had already ripped the Animals Blu-ray as soon as I got it), given how many seem to be time bombs, but that might fill up my hard drive!). Then I played Dark Side in quad, meaning just to sample it to confirm it's working, but of course it sucked me in and I cranked it up and sat there loving it all the way through. Perfect example of a surround mix that can bring an album you've heard in stereo thousands of times, back to life from the overplayed-graveyard. Zombie Dark Side!

Note that the email auto-reply I received references the Wish You Were Here Immersion box set in addition to Dark Side, so sounds like those with defective WYWH Blu-rays could get that replaced also, if you have proof of purchase. I never bought that Immersion box, since I already had the 2011 Analogue Productions WYWH SACD and I didn't need any more marbles.
You’re the lucky one! When I tried the same yesterday, an automatic reply said

‘Hi there,

Best, aeCreate’

Nevertheless I tried to resend my message [email protected] and [email protected] in parallel and am still waiting for an answer. At least I did not receive an error message nor another autoreply.
By the way, I have two faulty BD: DSOTM does not play at all, WYWH is not able to play quad version and has those popping noises in the last track (5.1 version only). If no new discs have been produced, they could simply send me the Atmos version which is going to be released next month in the 50th anniversary set.

Back