Quad LP/Tape Poll Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon[SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "DSOTM" Quad

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Hey, what the hell, start out with one of THE ultimate Quad's of the '70s....I still play the sucker on occasion, just to remind me of the potential of the format that was never realized....(history now repeating itself?)

This one poses a dilemma for listeners...SQ for some of the world(but not the USA); Quad Q8 USA; but a different(and considered superior) Q8 in the UK. But a key Quad Lp that every collector just has to have in one form or the other....:banana:

Attachments

• Pink Floyd DSOTM Quad.jpg
    Pink Floyd DSOTM Quad.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 939
Ed Bishop said:
Hey, what the hell, start out with one of THE ultimate Quad's of the '70s....I still play the sucker on occasion, just to remind me of the potential of the format that was never realized....(history now repeating itself?)

This one poses a dilemma for listeners...SQ for some of the world(but not the USA); Quad Q8 USA; but a different(and considered superior) Q8 in the UK. But a key Quad Lp that every collector just has to have in one form or the other....:banana:

How many votes you expect that will not be a 10/10? it is THE album.
btw, nice yugo cover.

What can be said, if you have heard it, no other remix will ever do {Q8-AP mix}. The BEST !!! :sun

By the way, This new section looks like it will be great fun. :)

I've had the SACD for a while and was perfectly content with it. Then yesterday I heard the Q8 UK version. The SACD has better sound quality obviously but the Q8 surround mix...wow! NOW I see what all the fuss is about.

I had to do with the stereo versions of this for over 30 years. After I got hold of a conversion of the Q8, my first impressions were that it was recorded to be played in quad. While it's great and the best I have heard from the pre-digital era, I'm sorry to give not a 10.
Even this Parsons Quad mix wasn't perfect (drenched in reverb, missing guitar part in Any Colour You Like, interview sound bytes often too loud) but absolutely great in how the parts were separated in the 4 channels.

Parsons proved with the mix of "On Air" (Alan Parsons Project) that he is still capable of doing a great surround mix. I hope he will be involved in future back catalog remix projects of some kind (not Floyd I'm afraid).

The voting says it all really doesn't it.
As for his non-Floyd stuff, give me 'Tales of Mystery and Imagination' in surround and I'd be a happy camper. Follow it up with 'Turn of a Friendly Card' and I'd be even happier. Pity about his last album, but everyone's entitled to have an off-project I suppose. 'On Air' was good though.

Someone who hears the US Q8 is going to vote differently from someone who hears the British Q8 and both are going to vote differently from someone who hears the SQ LP. Even under the most favorable conditions (British Q8) this album is marred by the fact that the song "Money" is broken for a track change. Jeez, to think we had to wait 30 years to be able to hear this as it was originally intended, and even then it is still a comprimised DTS conversion.

Well, I think the bottom line is that we must forgive the limitations of the legacy formats and rate this masterpiece on the merits of Alan Parson's fabulous quadraphonic mix. For this I give it an 11!

It really, truly does not get any better than this. Alan Parsons has produced the ultimate mix of this album, and I still far prefer it to the Guthrie mix. It has more life in it, and less of the "we really thought about this" approach that will make a great technical mix, but one lacking in feel somewhat.
Parsons has captured the feel of the piece. :smokin

Now if ONLY this mix were available on DVD-A. ;)

I have a question, i thought we voted on this one, but couldn't find it listed under the 4 Channel Spotlight LPs and Tapes polls. So i did a search and here it is, but still not under the polls section. Am i not doing something right? I only see 7 polls in this section?
Anyway thanks for listining.

Last edited:
MIDIQ said:
I have a question, i thought we voted on this one, but couldn't find it under listed the 4 Channel Spotlight LPs and Tapes polls. So i did a search and here it is, but still not under the polls section. Am i not doing somrthing right? I only see 7 polls in this section?
Anyway thanks for listining.

PS, now that it has a recent post it is there again. Don't these stay in the poll section all the time?
Thanks

Last edited:
MIDIQ said:
PS, now that it has a recent post it is there again. Don't these stay in the poll section all the time?
Thanks

Hi again, I'm an idiot. I figured out how to see all the posts in this section, under the display options choose from the begining. :eek:

Back in the day, I got the US Q8; run home on bike with baited breath, stick it into the Miida player running through two stereo amps connected by no logic sony decoder and....hey, what da....
Fast forward about 6 years; just got my space and image composer and find this english pressing brand new at tower records. Frive home at top speed in datsun adn put it on and...NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!
This is THE tate demo disc, and has been for many years. Not a total floyd head, certain anomalies in the mix escape me; all I know is it is a slice of heaven, as are both of the other floyd SQs. Cemented my feelings about the format (sorry, Cai).
Marc

neil wilkes said:

Now if ONLY this mix were available on DVD-A. ;)

So, what do you think of the DTS track on the Dark Side Of The Rainbow DVD?

It seems to be the same mix as the UK Q8 to me, but much better quality - although it is only a 754 kbps DTS track.

It's 8 for me.
I would give a 10, when someone would make a Mix without these annoying female Vocals. Sorry, I can't stand them and skip those parts.
I own a '72 Live Recording of it, which is much more enjoyable (the music, not the sound), this has a little different music (Great Gig in the Sky is much better, instrumental) and no female Vocals.

bloop said:
It's 8 for me.
I would give a 10, when someone would make a Mix without these annoying female Vocals. Sorry, I can't stand them and skip those parts.
I own a '72 Live Recording of it, which is much more enjoyable (the music, not the sound), this has a little different music (Great Gig in the Sky is much better, instrumental) and no female Vocals.

It is my favorite part of the album, with time.
It's the part that I think is the more emotional...
I think that the Side 2 is crap when comparate with Side 1... ( but it is a great thing anyway :) )

Hugues

I had a nice listen to this last night - first time listening to DSOTM in any format in close to a year. It is an extremely well done surround mix. My main complaint is that it isn't available for me to throw money at in Hi-Rez. I find Tab's U.K. Q8 transfer to be very good most of the time, but there are places where I couldn't help but compare it to my memory of the SACD's excellent sonics. I'll have to keep an eye out for the 'Dark Side of the Rainbow' version... Does that also have WYWH? - I remember reading that in another post.

It's funny....I have a UK SQ LP of DSOTM and I also have a Sony SQ200 decoder. So far I have never had the courage to listen to the LP in Quad. I love the SACD Guthrie surround mix. I guess I better have a go then??

Quite frankly, this album is, to me, so monumentally classic and all-pervasive as a musical/multichannel icon (not to mention I've heard it so many freakin' times) that I find it hard to judge it on any kind of objective basis.

I'll note that this was the one (in SQ form in a record store/head shop, no less) that turned me onto quad in the first place, and when I heard the full Parsons mix on CD many years later it was like a breath of fresh air. A new way of hearing it!

As Nigel Tufnel would say, this one goes up to 11.

Wow, just got a copy of the British SQ LP I won on ebay and threw it on during halftime of the football game I was watching tonight. Just thought I'd play side 1 to pass the time and then switch back to the game . Forget the game. I was stunned at how amazing this sounded. DSOTM was my first SACD and I'd never heard the quad mix. I'd heard the SACD a bunch of times and the stereo mix a billion times. This mix is what it is about for me. The SACD will be collecting dust on my cd rack now. The music sounds like music on the LP. I feel like I am in the room with the band. The insturments have layers and dimensions to them. Simply perfect for me and my ears. I felt genuinely moved tonight. A rare spiritual experience through music. I've had some before, but not too often. But this is like a crack hit to a crack head or a hit of smack for a junkie. It's what keeps me coming back for more and more and spending my very hard earned money on some crap in quad and surround in hopes that this feeling inside will be brought on by the music like DSOTM in SQ just did for me. Thank you Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons. Wow!!!

The ULTIMATE version of this album is the Japanese QS/RM version, which blows away the SQ version and even the SACD!

Back