Quad LP/Tape Poll Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon[SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "DSOTM" Quad

• Total voters
So if I don't have it yet, and I have a Q8 player, should i snag the best one I can find, condition wise? Or should I hold out for the UK tape to appear on ebay?

So if I don't have it yet, and I have a Q8 player, should i snag the best one I can find, condition wise? Or should I hold out for the UK tape to appear on ebay?

Rob,

The last one (RM LP) on eBay went for over $1000!!! :eek:

The ULTIMATE version of this album is the Japanese QS/RM version, which blows away the SQ version and even the SACD!
ICK! No way! The Japanese RM LP of DSOTM is the absolute worst quad version of this title, if you ask me. It decodes like crap compared to the SQ LP. I've compared a mint copy of the original U.K. SQ LP through a Tate II decoder to a mint copy of the Japanese RM LP through a Sansui QSD-1 and there is no comparison. The RM LP's quad soundfield is muddy, incoherent, unstable and just plain bad.

I've heard some really good RM and QS encoded discs, so I can't figure out what went wrong here. My theory is that the Japanese RM LP did not use discrete source, such as the quad master tape. I can only guess that they used an SQ master tape, decoded it and then re-encoded as RM for this pressing. That's the only reason I can think of for how bad this things sounds.

But hey, it's still a great quad collectible to have, but it is the LAST version I will reach for if I want to hear DSOTM in quad. By contrast, the Japanse RM LP of Atom Heart Mother is incredible! In fact, it is my very favorite RM/QS encoded LP.

The dvd-A of DSOTM - is this the "backup" often seen on e-bay ??
Interesting point made about the QS mix being the best, even better than the original master->dvd backup? I recall reading in a matrix-h paper (practical wireless in 1975 ish, probably from BBC work) which compared listeners perceptions of discrete versus matrix. The results varied with some people feeling sick with matrix to loving matrix above discreet, so is it beyond posablity that the (flawed) decoding process somehow adds a goodness to the mix that some will prefer?

QS has a different approach, somehow gives a "surround" perception even if listened undecoded on headphones.
If you take a QS sample and analyze it with AA2.0 phase analyzer you'll see how it's close to a human perception of placement.

Here I took a QS sample and just analyzed its phase.

In order you can seer left front, right front, left rear and right rear.

Attachments

• flqs.JPG
    flqs.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 386
  • frqs.JPG
    frqs.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 403
  • rlqs.JPG
    rlqs.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 401
  • rrqs.JPG
    rrqs.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 427
Wanted to mention - and perhaps someone already has - but Alan Parsons did NOT do the mix on the stereo DSOTM (and those are his words not mine). Chris Thomas is responsible for this album's stereo mix. Alan said he would have done a different mix than Chris' - he differed mostly on compression that was used so it would have been a somewhat subtle difference most likely. Thomas was brought in by the band as they were conflicted as to how the mix should be done. Both Alan and Chris said they felt the band were wanting someone fresh to do the mix due to this being the case. I got this info from the making of DVD from interviews done with Parsons and Thomas. Alan may have had a hand in this quad version. Can anyone else shed light on this aspect?

It sticks in my mind that Parsons did the quad mix, but that "knowledge" is from far enough back I didn't trust my memory on it. As a side note, the DVD on Dark Side is quite good - interviews with all the band members along with Parsons and Thomas along with a track by track look at the album. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes the Floyd.

I have always wondered about this and other titles that were basically SQ decoded Q8’s if the record companies used a off the shelf decoder or if they used one made for studios? Because from what I have read most of the early SQ decoders were crap. But maybe the studios had a higher grade piece to work with?

Back