Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder - Restored, Re-edited, Remixed [Blu-ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my copy and watched it yesterday. Sounds lovely and looks great. To the end of my days I will never understand the choice to tour with the twin idiots of the sax player and the percussionist. They're constantly doing completely idiotic things with their bodies, trying way too hard to be "into it" and just generally being distracting and ridiculous. And I know fashion is not relevant but that sax players hair is the worst of the 80s manifested in blonde hair-sprayed mullet awfulness. Sounds great though!

The band are in general quite excellent. And the sax player's playing is just fine. He just looks and acts ridiculous.

Finally got around to ordering this, watched it last night.

The only other time I've seen this title was on a rented Laserdisc back in 1991. I watched it on what passed for my "home theater" at the time: a 23" Sears color TV, a Heathkit AA-29 amp, and a pair of Large Advents. It was pretty cool.

Today, that reliable old Sears TV is long gone; in its place is a front projector + 106" screen. The role of the trusty 35 wpc Heathkit is now played by a fully digital, full-active 5.1 system with 1100 RMS watts on tap. The old Advents are still here - well, sort of. They've been reborn as subwoofers; the boxes now contain a pair of Kenwood 12" car-stereo woofers, room-tuned to 16 Hz.

Okay, so now let's watch a Pink Floyd concert! :smokin

I must say that, equipment upgrades aside, this show is a bit overwhelming at times. Pretty much everything is over the top. There's the big stuff like the mind-blowing stage set (is that a mirror ball inside another mirror ball?!), the flying pig with hi-beams etc, but smaller moments too, like the camera zooooming in & following David's slide hand (an obvious cut-in studio shot), or the quick cut to Rachel Fury's sexy eyebrow-lift for the line, "...There'll be no sleeping here tonight..." during "One Slip." The whole thing is almost too perfect. Which makes it absolutely perfect, of course! After all, this ain't Sunday Mass, it's a fucking Pink Floyd concert! Bring on the excess!

Tech talk: Picture is grainier than expected, but this actually adds to the surrealism in an odd way. Sound is wonderful - smooth, enveloping, with strong deep bass.

Last but not least - I love Scott Page on saxes, right down to his ridiculous hair! He and Gary Wallis (percussion) clearly had their own ideas about stage presence, not to mention a firm understanding of "shine on, you crazy diamond"! To me, they seemed to fit right into the larger spectacle.

Big fun I liked much! Will watch again soon, neighbors away, volume set to HOLYSHIT.

Just spotted this at SHF:

Purchased the 4K iTunes version (for $15.99) and was pleasantly surprised to have the bonus tracks ("Yet Another Movie/Round and Around", "A New Machine 1", "Terminal Frost", "A New Machine 2") included at the end of the film proper, right after the credits! And it's in 5.1 as well - lots of great surround effects, including the movie dialogue samples from "Yet Another Movie."

Did anyone else purchase the streaming version and check the bonus tracks?
And same for the owners of the standalone release, are the extra tracks in surround? They are not in TLY Blu-ray that I own.

Purchased the 4K iTunes version (for $15.99) and was pleasantly surprised to have the bonus tracks ("Yet Another Movie/Round and Around", "A New Machine 1", "Terminal Frost", "A New Machine 2") included at the end of the film proper, right after the credits! And it's in 5.1 as well - lots of great surround effects, including the movie dialogue samples from "Yet Another Movie."

Did anyone else purchase the streaming version and check the bonus tracks?
And same for the owners of the standalone release, are the extra tracks in surround? They are not in TLY Blu-ray that I own.

Thanks to your post, I bought the 4K iTunes version and went straight to the bonus tracks.
They are indeed in surround, though subtle: echoes, a bit of synth, distorted voices and some crowd, of course.
It enhances A New Machine, for sure. Very glad to have Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost now.

(Also agree with folks about Scott Page's hair and bar band stage moves,
but he's got great tone and sure can play.)

Thanks to your post, I bought the 4K iTunes version and went straight to the bonus tracks.
They are indeed in surround, though subtle: echoes, a bit of synth, distorted voices and some crowd, of course.
It enhances A New Machine, for sure. Very glad to have Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost now.

Thanks for checking. It really bothers me that, even if the surround mixes exist, they didn't include them on either of the Blu-ray releases. Come on, I can understand the extra costs involved in authoring 4K video Blu-rays and the limited market but excluding these surround mixes makes no sense at all.
At the same time, the regional limitations of the streaming providers are puzzling. I've got an Apple TV too and Delicate is there to be purchased at 15 euros, but only available at HD and stereo. Gilmour's Pompeii is there at 4K but also stereo. Why bothering to have different video and audio streams for each individual market while keeping same price level? Do they really save so much bandwidth by doing so?

... They are not in TLY Blu-ray that I own.
That really sucks. We buy TLY box set (at a not inconsiderable price) thinking that's it - anything else released from that period will just be released as component parts of the box set, nothing new. Then outcomes a 4K release that has some of the TLY stereo bonus stuff now in surround.

Not impressed at all with whoever makes these decisions. :mad:

AMEN, that really sucks !!!
Like not using your NAS for a while from the PC, Windows updates and removes the ability to read/write files and blocks access as the code which did (SMBv1) is obsoleted (due to security issues) and removed, but it doesn't load the new code which has better security (apparently!). I'll have to look at the weekend what to do to get round this, &*%$ing irritating :mad::sick::poop:

That really sucks. We buy TLY box set (at a not inconsiderable price) thinking that's it - anything else released from that period will just be released as component parts of the box set, nothing new. Then outcomes a 4K release that has some of the TLY stereo bonus stuff now in surround.

Not impressed at all with whoever makes these decisions. :mad:

I'd be peeved too. Just ordered the stand alone BD~V but also be aware that the 4K streaming services, IMO, do in no way equal a physical Native UHD4K disc both visually nor sonically.

I finally got my copy (boxset) today. Funny thing is I ordered it early December from a seller on Amazon UK because it was way cheaper than Amazon Canada, even when counting shipping (70$CAD instead of 130$CAD).

Friends don't let Friends use Windoz. ;)
Get yourself a good Linux distro and spend a little time learning the in's and out's. It's not too difficult.

Testify, brother! (y)

I've been using Ubuntu Linux since 2012. I'm currently using release 16.04, but in April I plan to upgrade to the newest LTS (long-term-support) release.

Just a heads up on that, I have an older laptop running 16.04. I have upgraded it to 18 twice and 20 once and it became unstable while using LVM. It has been reverted to 16 and no longer has the r/o issue.

Hi again, I need to make a question to you. In the order page in iTunes, can you see any reference to 5.1? I can see it advertised as 4K, but have no clue about the surround option. I'm scared of purchasing it just to find it's in stereo.
Thanks!

Hi again, I need to make a question to you. In the order page in iTunes, can you see any reference to 5.1? I can see it advertised as 4K, but have no clue about the surround option. I'm scared of purchasing it just to find it's in stereo.
Thanks!

I'm in Canada - in case that makes a difference. Down towards the bottom in the iTunes store under Language, it says Primary English (Dolby 5.1 CC)

I'm in Canada - in case that makes a difference. Down towards the bottom in the iTunes store under Language, it says Primary English (Dolby 5.1 CC)
Thanks, I was able to confirm that the version streaming in Spain is just stereo.
How is the 5.1 in the extra tracks?

Back