PINK FLOYD - DSOTM - QUAD reel to reel tape 7 1/2 Allan Parsons mix QUADraphonic...... Copy or What????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like s DTSOM Q4 would have been a big seller, such a shame that so few people got to hear the discrete mix in the quad days, with the album being mixed FOR quad it just doesn't make sense, i think it could have saved quad

A Q4 release would've been cool, but an even bigger potential audience would've gotten hear it if the U.S. Capitol Q8 had the actual discrete quad mix and not a poor SQ decode. That had to have turned off a lot of people expecting a killer quad demo. It also would've been nice to get the SQ LP released in the U.S. too and thus into the hands of more quad fans. Does anyone know why Capitol didn't release any quad vinyl product beyond a few of those John Morell albums?

If that was an official PF release, why would they put Alan Parson's name on the title???
I understand there was a little bad blood around the time with Floyd under the impression Parsons was ripping them off (ie copying stylistically) with his solo albums. Could you imagine the fallout from an official release putting his name on the spine like that?!?!

"Discrete 7 1/2 IPS"?
I know what discrete quad is. What's a discrete speed? :D

Maybe they were trying to make this obvious so they could claim it was a parody if caught?

"Discrete 7 1/2 IPS"?
I know what discrete quad is. What's a discrete speed? :D

Maybe they were trying to make this obvious so they could claim it was a parody if caught?

Most of the legitimate Warner and RCA quad reels stated "Discrete 7/2 IPS" on the tape box and label.

CS_Reel_Front.jpg
CS_Reel_Label.jpg

Seems like s DTSOM Q4 would have been a big seller, such a shame that so few people got to hear the discrete mix in the quad days, with the album being mixed FOR quad it just doesn't make sense, i think it could have saved quad

It's just plain weird that there are close to no Pink Floyd reels at all. Were there any aside from the Japanese AHM and "Meddle" that sell for astronomical prices?

Thanks for the clipping, I was trying to find something that showed The Pink Floyd and couldn't. I knew it was out there somewhere.

Actually they were billed as The Pink Floyd in their very early days by accident on some gig posters.

I didn't buy an official British version of "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" until 1978 or so and there's a "The" on the spine, but nowhere else that I can recall.

Back