Pink Floyd DSOTM & WYWH 5.1 Surround SACD Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite, no “special limited edition” or emi logo on spine and it now has the Pink Floyd Records script on the back. So much for the original limited edition being limited.
True.

But I must say I find it an encouraging sign that SOMEone has decided it’s worthwhile for them to put some more product out into the marketplace once the first batch has sold out and then can only be found as used copies for ridiculous prices.

I was really surprised that WYWH SACD started being sold in December without any official publicity coming from Pink Floyd. Finally yesterday they uploaded the piece of news in PF's Facebook.
I would have expected some more bells and whistles from PF...

On a positive note the Pink Floyd Store is having a sale on Hoodies...woo hoo:rolleyes:..these days.... selling those accessories are more important to them:unsure:

As someone who owns the original "limited edition" SACD release of Wish You Were Here, I couldn't give a shit that it's being re-released for more people to buy. I want people to have the chance to buy and enjoy this music. Anyone who wants it. I don't know how sad and bitter I would have to be in order to somehow care that my special limited release is now "worthless."

As someone who owns the original "limited edition" SACD release of Wish You Were Here, I couldn't give a shit that it's being re-released for more people to buy. I want people to have the chance to buy and enjoy this music. Anyone who wants it. I don't know how sad and bitter I would have to be in order to somehow care that my special limited release is now "worthless."
I agree wholeheartedly. And wait a year and see how much either release will be selling for on eBay and Discogs.

Attachments

• Gap filled.jpg
    Gap filled.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 308
Took my old and faulty Marantz 7600 player out of storage and among other things tried to load the 2nd generation WYWH SACD; it doesn't detect the SACD layer, just the CD one.

I tried other SACDs in the 7600 and it sees the two layers and the two SACD programs.

My current player handles it OK.

It seems the WYWH disc has a defect. I may be wrong.

I don't lose hope of eventually fixing the other issues with the 7600 and keep it as a backup player.

I couldn’t live without the 70s quad mixes of these two albums. I’d feel like something was missing if I just owned these two SACDs and do didn't own the Immersion sets. It’s surprising how well these SACDs did with their limitations of content.

I couldn’t live without the 70s quad mixes of these two albums. I’d feel like something was missing if I just owned these two SACDs and do didn't own the Immersion sets. It’s surprising how well these SACDs did with their limitations of content.
Yea,those quad mixes.. wow! I never got the chance to hear the LPs back in quads heyday but I was thrilled that they were included in the Immersion sets. The quad mixes are the first thing I play.

This is probably already posted somewhere here on QQ but the DSOTM 5.1 is up for preorder:
https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/133317/Pink_Floyd-Dark_Side_Of_The_Moon-Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

From the promotional blurb: "Gilmour also pumped out what would later be hailed as some of rock's most influential lead-guitar riffs on "Money" and "Brain Damage."

Surely someone meant Time, rather than Brain Damage.

This mix is the Guthrie mix, which at one time was quite common in the used shops. Currently it can be had used for as little as $19 on Amazon. Looks like maybe new artwork, but this is not enough to get me to buy it again. I guess it is good that they reissue a popular title so everyone can afford it, but the best mix (to date) is still the quad from the Immersion box.

I wonder what the difference will be from the previous SACD version of this to this version up for pre-order?

Other than the enhanced packaging it will probably be a newer remastering of the original CAPITOL RECORDS SACD with the James Guthrie 5.1 remix!

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Label:Analogue Productions
Genre:Pop/Rock
Product No.:CAPP 81033 SA
UPC:190758103327
Availability:Pre Order
Category:Hybrid Multichannel SACD
Arrival Date To Be Announced
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

Other than the enhanced packaging it will probably be a newer remastering of the original CAPITOL RECORDS SACD with the James Guthrie 5.1 remix!

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Label:Analogue Productions
Genre:Pop/Rock
Product No.:CAPP 81033 SA
UPC:190758103327
Availability:Pre Order
Category:Hybrid Multichannel SACD
Arrival Date To Be Announced
Hybrid Multichannel SACD

So a new updated mastering of the Guthrie mix? Or did Guthrie come back and mix it again?

So a new updated mastering of the Guthrie mix? Or did Guthrie come back and mix it again?

Doubtful. Too bad they also didn't include the original Alan Parson's 4.0 remix ... but that's NOT going to happen. I'm sure it will be an 'enhancement' over the Capitol SACD since AP wil be employing the latest technology but how much of an improvement remains to be seen [heard].

I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if PF released a DOLBY ATMOS BD~A remix of DSOTM in the future.

Last edited:
Doubtful. Too bad they also didn't include the original Alan Parson's 4.0 remix ... but that's NOT going to happen. I'm sure it will be an 'enhancement' over the Capitol SACD since AP wil be employing the latest technology but how much of an improvement remains to be seen [heard].

I'm curious to get to compare the two versions...and yes certainly a disappointment the Parson quad probably won't see the light of day ever again.

I'm curious to get to compare the two versions...and yes certainly a disappointment the Parson quad probably won't see the light of day ever again.

Especially since the original Parson's 4.0 mix was 'rejected' by 'certain' PF bandmates. Re~read my above post as I wouldnt be surprised if an ATMOS remix does appear in the future. After all DSOTM will always remain a CA$H COW!

ATMOS DSOTM would be incredible...what could the possibilities be if they got like an engineer along the lines of Scheiner or Wilson to do the ATMOS...?

Back