Pink Floyd DSOTM & WYWH 5.1 Surround SACD Reissues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all just essentially a repress, right? Nothing new here for those that have both?

If your original DSOTM SACD is a Crest-pressed SACD, it is prone to cracking at the center plastic hub. Until the upcoming Analogue Productions reissue, the only other choice is to locate a Japan pressed (by Sony DADC) SACD, which was also distributed in the US.

I am guessing that the upcoming SACD reissue will be pressed either in Austria (Sony DADC) or Germany (Arvato, formerly Sonopress).

I have two copies of the DSOTM SACD, interestingly according to Discogs, both were pressed at the Sony DADC, but each disc is slightly different in the center hub areas and the label is embossed differently, the top one is textured and the bottom one is smooth.

DSOTM-SACD-two.jpg

A couple of things to comment on here:

1. The Surround SACD edition of Dark Side of the Moon from Analogue Productions will be a repressing of the previously released edition.
There are several reasons for this. Including requests for a chance to buy the original SACD edition from listeners who missed the Surround SACD the first time around.
And the need to get artist approval if a new edition with remastering was created. (Remember Chad Kassem's comments about getting major artist reissue approvals "there are years - then there are Hendrix Years and Pink Floyd years...." )

2. DSD 256 releases do make an audible difference for a couple of reasons.
One is that the DSD format has been around for 20+ years now and the modulators used to create and remaster recordings in DSD are much better today than they were 2 decades ago.
The second reason is that by releasing an album in a higher DSD bit rate results in several benefits including the use of gentler filters in the listener's DAC, better phase and time response.
This explains why there is more and more demand from listeners for higher DSD bit rate releases and remasters than the DSD 64fs bit rate found on SACDs.

Brian, a couple of questions:
SACD media is limited to DSD64 correct?
Do you know if there will be a DSD256 download of DSOTM?

Brian, a couple of questions:
SACD media is limited to DSD64 correct?
Do you know if there will be a DSD256 download of DSOTM?

1. Correct. SACDs are limited to DSD 64 Stereo and DSD 64 Multichannel due to the storage limits on the SACD optical disc.
DSD Stereo, Binaural and Multichannel files at higher DSD bit rates (DSD 128, DSD 256, DSD 512) are available via DSD music downloads. Not possible on SACD discs.

2. I haven't heard about any plans for a DSD 256 download of Dark Side of the Moon or any of the Pink Floyd albums.
I have been told that there will be "more Pink Floyd news" in 2020 which hints at some new PF reissues in the year ahead.

I had pre-ordered The Dark Side Of The Moon new SACD with importcds, should I cancel my order? Does this title ever going to be release?

Regards,
None of us know when it’ll be released. On the other hand, if you’ve paid no money up front then you have nothing to lose by sticking with your order (assuming that you got a reasonable price).

Back