Pink Floyd Early Years 1971 Reverber/ation BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henryb

I bought this mini BluRay box set (2 disks)... as it was reportedly had a 5.1 mix of the complete album "Meddle"... one of my fave Floyd discs! But after I got it home, I found that it only had a quad version of Echo's plus a bunch of very cool videos of the early years.... but no 5.1 version of Meddle (apparently). I later read that in fact the 5.1 mix of Meddle is actually on the disc, but there is no "menu" item presented to get access to the disc. Apparently some disagreement in the 11th hour in the band (go figure)... caused this to happen in this way.... sort of after the mix had been burned to all of the discs.

Anyways, I have read that it is possible to get access to the 5.1 mix of Meddle on the bluray ... but you need to extract it or rip it or something? Can't seem to find any specific instructions on what software to use and how exactly to get this done. Does anybody have such instructions? Would really appreciate some assistance with this.

I do have an external USB Bluray burner that came with fairly standard Nero Software for making copies and doing backups. Let me know if there is some other software that is required.

If I had to guess.... I would probably have to make a copy of the full bluray disc on my HDD, and then somehow update the menu labels have add a pointer to the songs that are on there somehow... then copy it back to another Bluray disc with my burner. Maybe there is an easier way? Let me know.

Apparently some disagreement in the 11th hour in the band (go figure)... caused this to happen in this way.... sort of after the mix had been burned to all of the discs.
That's correct, but only the Blu-Ray disc in the massive "Early Years" box set retained the 5.1 mix. The seperate 1971 Reverber/ation Blu-Ray was re-authored to completely remove both the 5.1 & stereo Meddle remixes.

Welcome to the forum!

Well... that is not very good news. I purchased this set because it was specifically listed as having the 5.1 mix on it... I believe it was the online Sound and Vision article referencing the reviewers top 15 surround albums.

Is there some way to absolutely confirm that it is or is not on this disc? I can see all of the files from my external USB BluRay burner... should I be looking for a specific directory or filename?

I guess either way... it is still worth having... the quad mix of Echoes is quite good.

Thanks

Last edited:
I dug up the Sound and Vision article by Mike Mettler, May 7, 2020 called “Best 5.1 Surround Sound Music Tracks” and read the segment on Reverber/ation more carefully… it shows the album cover of the 2017 mini box set. It also suggests that maybe only the one S ong “Echoes” is available in 5.1 (although it’s not really clear)… and it also suggests that there is an “Easter Egg” that allows you to access it directly from a sequence of button clicks from a BluRay remote?

Now assuming that I have it right? Does anybody know the key sequence to access the 5.1 mix of Echoes from that disc? Or am I just being hopeful? Lol

This is a post from 2017 that I made on the subject:

"I have received the Reverber/ation standalone box and have been looking for the Meddle 5.1 content. I have used MakeMKV with decryption on to generate a backup of the bluray disc. When the backup folder is reviewed within eac3to, there is an 1:10 (hh:mm) .mpls file in 24 bits/48KHz and there is another .mpls file that is 23:43 (mm:ss) long in 4.0 channel, DTS Master Audio and is the Echoes in quad. There is no evidence that I can find for the Meddle 5.1 content."

Which proceeded to be confirmed by other smart folks here on QQ.

,,,the quad mix of Echoes is quite good...

Enjoy it.
For me, it's always been my favorite track & 90% of the enjoyment of the album since listening almost daily in stereo in a dorm room in '71 with appropriate herbal libations.

A quad DPLII or Neo Music upmix of the rest of Meddle serves adequately for the rest,
One man's opinion, agree or disagree.

Peace, out.

Hi Henryb,
Cheers from Adelaide, South Australia!
I too first purchased the 1971 set for Echoes, only to have it in 4.0 Quad. I was hoping for the whole Meddle album, but was happy with a 4.0 version of my fav all time song Echoes.
I then purchased the 1972 Obfuscation set - which consists of Live At Pompeii with 2016 5.1 audio remix which contains only:-
One Of These Days
Echoes (plus 3 other songs not on Meddle).
Now I have Echoes in both 4.0 and 5.1, both sounding great, and different, probably preferring the 5.1, but depends on my mood.
I’m now waiting patiently for a re-release on Blu-ray of Meddle, probably after Animals and The Wall…🤞🙏👍🎶🎸😎
Rob

I bought this mini BluRay box set (2 disks)... as it was reportedly had a 5.1 mix of the complete album "Meddle"... one of my fave Floyd discs! But after I got it home, I found that it only had a quad version of Echo's plus a bunch of very cool videos of the early years.... but no 5.1 version of Meddle (apparently). I later read that in fact the 5.1 mix of Meddle is actually on the disc, but there is no "menu" item presented to get access to the disc. Apparently some disagreement in the 11th hour in the band (go figure)... caused this to happen in this way.... sort of after the mix had been burned to all of the discs.

Anyways, I have read that it is possible to get access to the 5.1 mix of Meddle on the bluray ... but you need to extract it or rip it or something? Can't seem to find any specific instructions on what software to use and how exactly to get this done. Does anybody have such instructions? Would really appreciate some assistance with this.

I do have an external USB Bluray burner that came with fairly standard Nero Software for making copies and doing backups. Let me know if there is some other software that is required.

If I had to guess.... I would probably have to make a copy of the full bluray disc on my HDD, and then somehow update the menu labels have add a pointer to the songs that are on there somehow... then copy it back to another Bluray disc with my burner. Maybe there is an easier way? Let me know.

In my Reverber/ation disc (Early Years box set) the complete Meddle 5.1 Mix is in the files:

BDMV\PLAYLIST\00001.mpls (Chapters list)
BDMV\STREAM\00001.m2ts (7.492.428 KB) (Black background video, with just the song title played, and two audio tracks: DTS HD-MA 5.1 + LPCM 2.0 24-96)

It is not accesible from the Blu-ray Main menu navigation, as we all know.

The Blu-ray has to be ripped to HDD and then access the folder structure in the HDD.

The 00001.m2ts can be played directly or use MKVToolNIX (for example) to build a MKV file, with the two audio tracks.

Then, further conversions if needed to adapt to the own Player device. For instance, using the Music Media Helper from our @HomerJAU.

The stereo remix of Meddle is available as a standalone CD, and it's very nice. Listening to it in sonic holography, the mix is really wide and deep.

The 5.1 remix of Meddle was included as an "Easter egg" only on the original box set. Not the individual editions. You "find" it by simply ripping the disk. I believe it's not able to be seen by stand alone disc players.

It worked about as well as the "hidden" track on a CD when playing on the computer. ie. Hey what's that extra track there?

FYI, it's also one of the mastering mistakes in the set. The 3 album remixes (Obscured, Meddle, Pompeii) have a volume war aesthetic treble blast that really stomps on them. Be prepared for really really BRIGHT sound! Really bangin remix and really a shame about the mastering mistake.

The 3 album remixes (Obscured, Meddle, Pompeii) have a volume war aesthetic treble blast that really stomps on them. Be prepared for really really BRIGHT sound! Really bangin remix and really a shame about the mastering mistake.
I assume you are talking about the stereo re-mixes, correct, as there is no MCH Obscured in the set.

I assume you are talking about the stereo re-mixes, correct, as there is no MCH Obscured in the set.
Yes. Sorry to be ambiguous!
The 5.1 remixes of Meddle & Pompeii and then the stereo remix of Obscured.

There's no 5.1 remix of Obscured included anywhere in any form on any of these discs. Sorry if I made anyone get out of their seat! If it was the blazing treble that made you jump up, that's what I was talking about!

Yes. Sorry to be ambiguous!
The 5.1 remixes of Meddle & Pompeii and then the stereo remix of Obscured.

There's no 5.1 remix of Obscured included anywhere in any form on any of these discs. Sorry if I made anyone get out of their seat! If it was the blazing treble that made you jump up, that's what I was talking about!
The scuttle I heard was that OBC was remixed in 5.1 and even initially announced and then subsequently removed from the set completely, in contrast to the Meddle 5.1. Hot highs or not, I would have wanted to hear it.

I always thought the Meddle 5.1 suffered more from a lack of low end and bass impact rather than a hot high end.

The 5.1 remix of Meddle was included as an "Easter egg" only on the original box set. Not the individual editions. You "find" it by simply ripping the disk. I believe it's not able to be seen by stand alone disc players.

It worked about as well as the "hidden" track on a CD when playing on the computer. ie. Hey what's that extra track there?

FYI, it's also one of the mastering mistakes in the set. The 3 album remixes (Obscured, Meddle, Pompeii) have a volume war aesthetic treble blast that really stomps on them. Be prepared for really really BRIGHT sound! Really bangin remix and really a shame about the mastering mistake.

I have listen today the Meddle 5.1
I did enjoy the mch mix, but found it a bit fatiguing on the ear. Specially some Gilmour solo guitar in Echoes that sounded to me "too much distorted" compared to the Pompeii sound that I know more.

Now reading this about the BRIGHT sound... Yes, It must be that.

I dug up the Sound and Vision article by Mike Mettler, May 7, 2020 called “Best 5.1 Surround Sound Music Tracks” and read the segment on Reverber/ation more carefully… it shows the album cover of the 2017 mini box set.
The Early Years box contains each of the "mini box sets" within it, plus some additional material not available elsewhere. So, that picture could very well be of the 1971 set from the big box.

I have listen today the Meddle 5.1
I did enjoy the mch mix, but found it a bit fatiguing on the ear. Specially some Gilmour solo guitar in Echoes that sounded to me "too much distorted" compared to the Pompeii sound that I know more.

Now reading this about the BRIGHT sound... Yes, It must be that.
Listening to the multi-channel mix of "One of These Days" did you find it sort of amateurish and jumbled? (I was given a DTS-CD copy, and while the rest of the tracks are enjoyable this one didn't seem right, trying to figure out if its a defect in the DTS mix or not)

Listening to the multi-channel mix of "One of These Days" did you find it sort of amateurish and jumbled? (I was given a DTS-CD copy, and while the rest of the tracks are enjoyable this one didn't seem right, trying to figure out if its a defect in the DTS mix or not)
For me, the dynamics and bass impact are sadly diminished compared to the original stereo version. Same with Echoes to a lesser extent. Fearless is a fine mix, as is San Tropez.

Back