Pink Floyd Early Years 1971 Reverber/ation BluRay

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the dynamics and bass impact are sadly diminished compared to the original stereo version. Same with Echoes to a lesser extent. Fearless is a fine mix, as is San Tropez.
Yes, I preferred the Quad mix of "Echoes" on Reverber/ation (does that mean there is whole album Quad mix they are sitting on?). I enjoyed "Pillow of Winds" in 5.1

I have listen today the Meddle 5.1
I did enjoy the mch mix, but found it a bit fatiguing on the ear. Specially some Gilmour solo guitar in Echoes that sounded to me "too much distorted" compared to the Pompeii sound that I know more.
For me, the dynamics and bass impact are sadly diminished compared to the original stereo version. Same with Echoes to a lesser extent. Fearless is a fine mix, as is San Tropez.
I have to assume that the Meddle 5.1 remix is presented in some kind of early/unfinished state, as Andy Jackson's other Floyd mixes (The Division Bell, Rattle That Lock, etc) are pretty much spot-on in terms of balance, tonality, and dynamics. There's definitely an edginess to the electric guitars in "Echoes", and the center-isolated vocals sound very dry and detached from the rest of the music. As for "One Of These Days", there's definitely a bit of a gaffe where the drums & bass suddenly drop in volume after the crazy bass solo section (this can be fixed with a bit of careful volume automation). "San Tropez" is the highlight for me.

Listening to the multi-channel mix of "One of These Days" did you find it sort of amateurish and jumbled? (I was given a DTS-CD copy, and while the rest of the tracks are enjoyable this one didn't seem right, trying to figure out if its a defect in the DTS mix or not)
Someone shared a copy of the 5.1 mix with me, and I found “One of These Days” to be quite the masterful mix. The one minute segment before the vocal part bounces around the room on every note. I would consider it to be 5.1 demo material. I also found there to be plenty of bass heft, even significant bass from the rears! I’m wondering if there was more then one remix made?

Someone shared a copy of the 5.1 mix with me, and I found “One of These Days” to be quite the masterful mix. The one minute segment before the vocal part bounces around the room on every note. I would consider it to be 5.1 demo material. I also found there to be plenty of bass heft, even significant bass from the rears! I’m wondering if there was more then one remix made?
Maybe, I feel the bass a little underwhelming apart from low bass drum hits at one point (also the noting the obious volume drop after the line "one of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces") it feels as if the EQ isn't right, the next track "Pillow of Winds" sounds perfect (but perhaps is a little warmer on my vinyl rig). To me it seems as if the left rear/surround channel has a bit of a bark to it through the first part, as if to represent an echo through panning (if that makes sense)

Someone shared a copy of the 5.1 mix with me, and I found “One of These Days” to be quite the masterful mix.
In some cases, the shared file for "One of These Days" has been adjusted to try to compensate for the volume discrepancy. Do you know if you received the raw mix or an edited one?

In some cases, the shared file for "One of These Days" has been adjusted to try to compensate for the volume discrepancy. Do you know if you received the raw mix or an edited one?
I’m not sure where this mix came from originally, the person who shared it with me also said he was unaware of its origin. It is mixed AAC 48kHz 6 channels, so CD quality, but very good CD quality (in my opinion). So you may have a good point that volume dips could have been corrected? That being said, the quad version of Echoes (96kHz, PCM) on the BluRay is better tonally in places. Although, the guitar solo between 8:30 and 9:30 in Echoes quad version appears to be quite distant… and they are well defined in the AAC 5.1 mix.

Yes, that's it. It's a Japanese release. And I found that I bought my version on eBay, not Discogs.
And unofficial, as denoted in the Discogs listing. I'm surprised you were able to buy it on Discogs; they don't allow sales of unofficial releases.

Back