Pink Floyd - How to Make Discs From MKV

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboy71

What file format is everyone ripping to when playing back via USB drive? Will FLAC work?

What file format is everyone ripping to when playing back via USB drive? Will FLAC work?

FLAC supports multichannel but some players don't like MCH FLAC. The Oppos and many AVRs are happy with MCH FLAC but some like my Denon AVR-X7200WA won't output quad as 4 channel, only stereo. But if you add a silent centre (i.e. 5.0) the Denon's & other AVRs will play in surround (quad with silent centre).

FLAC supports multichannel but some players don't like MCH FLAC. The Oppos and many AVRs are happy with MCH FLAC but some like my Denon AVR-X7200WA won't output quad as 4 channel, only stereo. But if you add a silent centre (i.e. 5.0) the Denon's & other AVRs will play in surround (quad with silent centre).

Specifically, I'm referring to the 5.1. I'm using MKV and also have DVD Audio Extractor, which will only give me FLAC. I'm on a MAC. Should I use something else?

Specifically, I'm referring to the 5.1. I'm using MKV and also have DVD Audio Extractor, which will only give me FLAC. I'm on a MAC. Should I use something else?
I use the same configuration on a Windows pc and store the flac files on the NAS. My Oppo can play back the mch flac files. Your ripping process seems fine. What do you use for playback?

Btw, dvdae can give you more than just flac. Personally I do not let dvdae convert to flac when there is no LPCM track. Non PCM tracks are only converted to core DTS and Dolby by dvdae. i just use the direct demux setting with DTS, DTSMA and Dolby ThruHD, and later on use Audiomuxer to convert said files to flac.

Can someone help me create the 5.1 Meddle DVD disc using a Mac.
Using MakeMKV, I extracted the files from the Blu-Ray.
How can I burn them to a DVD disc to play on my OPPO. If you can just list the steps.
Thsnks

How can I burn them to a DVD disc to play on my OPPO. If you can just list the steps.
Thsnks

If someone has a 2016-like more friendly way to do this, please chime in!!!
(But is has to decode the full dts, not just core dts like the popular DVD Audio Extractor! Something free of the Windows apps would be nice too.)

This should work for Windows as well as Mac.

MakeMKV to extract the mkv file. (Pay the $50. You get unlimited updates as the bluray copyright codes are continually updated.)

Not sure what might be a newer and/or better option but... find the ArcSoft codec that was part of a free media player bundle a few years ago. (This was only released with a Windows version. So... Mac users, make sure Wine is installed to run Windows apps natively in OSX.)

Install the Windows version of AudioMuxer.
(eac3to should tag along with this install. Find and install it if it doesn't. Again, install the Windows version.)

Install the ArcSoft codec into eac3to (There are hoops to jump through. Order of operations and some back and forth. Wine makes the folder structure Windows apps are familiar with including the "registry" and you need to get down and dirty just like a messy Windows install. PM me if you get stuck. It went something like: Install. Didn't work. Manually uninstall and remove "registry" entries. Try again. Worked this time. Not 100% sure what was up with all that.)

Now you can finally extract the wav/flac files from dts HD MA encoded file in the mkv file.
You should see an AudioMuxer message noting the ArcSoft codec.
There's a test function in eac3to to confirm the codec install too.

If you see the message saying "something something using stock codec instead" then the install and pointing eac3to to the codec didn't work.

The output files should be 24 bit 96k.
If the files came out 48k, then it didn't work and you only got the core dts portion of the files.

Pretty much the definition of PITA! Have fun! :D

I believe Oppo machines can read flac files from a connected USB drive.
Otherwise you need an app to author the DVDA format. There are free traded no longer sold apps out there for the frugal.

A follow up post of laughing at this and pointing to a newer more friendly method would be most welcome! :D

You can use tsMuxeR to create an auto-playing (and auto-looping) blu-ray. Just drag&drop the mkv in the input files zone, choose blu-ray ISO for the output, click Start muxing and when it's done, just burn the iso image on a blank disk (if the iso is small enough, I think you can burn it to a DVD, and it will play fine as a blu-ray!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thsnks

If it's an Oppo Blu-ray player, you may be able to just burn the MKV as is to a data DVD and just play it.

I had no problem playing the MKV via an attached USB thumb drive.

tsMuxeR (1.10.6) is a good idea if you can both burn and play a physical bluray disc. :)

And assuming your bluray player decodes the full dts and not just the core as some hardware units insidiously do.

Bluray disc images are actually easier to create than DVDA disc images oddly enough.

If it's an Oppo Blu-ray player, you may be able to just burn the MKV as is to a data DVD and just play it.

That's a good call too. :)
Same caveat about the machine decoding the full dts.

The Oppo machines are pretty friendly looking and surprisingly free of the format war restrictions found on many machines.
I believe they decode the dts properly from what I've read but maybe someone can verify that?

tsMuxeR (1.10.6) is a good idea if you can both burn and play a physical bluray disc. :)

And assuming your bluray player decodes the full dts and not just the core as some hardware units insidiously do.

Bluray disc images are actually easier to create than DVDA disc images oddly enough.

That's a good call too. :)
Same caveat about the machine decoding the full dts.

The Oppo machines are pretty friendly looking and surprisingly free of the format war restrictions found on many machines.
I believe they decode the dts properly from what I've read but maybe someone can verify that?

What is the MKV file size and or the default file names so I know I'm looking at the correct files?

What is the MKV file size and or the default file names so I know I'm looking at the correct files?

I'm assuming MakeMKV creates the same files regardless of operating system, but I'll specify that I used W*nd*ws and wound up with:

Code:
REVERBER_ATION_1971_t01.mkv
4,185,628 KB

If your computer can play MKV files, it will be pretty obvious which one it is even if you can't play the sound. It's just a black screen with the song titles on it, so it will begin with "ONE OF THESE DAYS" on a black background. At that size, it should fit just fine on a single-layer DVD.

At that size, it should fit just fine on a single-layer DVD.

I just tried this. Used ImgBurn to create a vanilla data DVD with nothing but the appropriate MKV file on it and my older Oppo played it just fine. I was concerned that it might have an issue with DTS-HD Master on anything other than a Blu-ray, but that wasn't the case.

I'd give you the model number, but that would mean I'd have to take the headphones off again and walk into the next room. I'm not Superman.

I'm assuming MakeMKV creates the same files regardless of operating system, but I'll specify that I used W*nd*ws and wound up with:

Code:
REVERBER_ATION_1971_t01.mkv
4,185,628 KB

If your computer can play MKV files, it will be pretty obvious which one it is even if you can't play the sound. It's just a black screen with the song titles on it, so it will begin with "ONE OF THESE DAYS" on a black background. At that size, it should fit just fine on a single-layer DVD.

Thanks. I found that file and copied it to my USB stick and it plays perfectly! File is about 2.25 GB and sounds awesome!

Audiomuxer will add a silent center and lfe channel on the fly to quad recordings. The file size doesn't change.

I used the Makemkv program and when I used dvd audio extractor it said protected with bd+
I'd love to hear this but I surrender, I'm so lost that Indiana Jones couldn't find me

I used the Makemkv program and when I used dvd audio extractor it said protected with bd+
I'd love to hear this but I surrender, I'm so lost that Indiana Jones couldn't find me
You probably have not checked the decrypt box when you used MakeMKV.

To be sure, you used MakeMKV to create a back up of the BDA right? When the decrypt box is checked, you should not have any bd+ protection in dvd audio extractor. At least I never encountered this.

Also, did you remove the BDA from the tray? Other wise DVDAE still looks for the BDA first, instead of the files.

Why not just use DVDAE in demux mode? That will extract the full undecoded DTS stream to .DTS files. Loading them on a thumb drive should play in an Oppo directly. Or, you could then use Foobar or Audiomuxer to convert to flac if you wish. Either way, the end result will be playback of the full 24/96 files, not just the core.

Also, did you remove the BDA from the tray? Other wise DVDAE still looks for the BDA first, instead of the files.

I was thinking TommyTunes didn't remove the disc and DVDAE just opened the last drive used. So removing the disc then opening the ripped files in DVDAE should do the trick.

I downloaded DVA Extractor and I'm having problems with it, I wonder if its a Windows 10 issue? It has "sort of worked" twice, taking the DTS and converting to FLAC, but it left out the centre channel both times, there doesn't seem to be anything there or if it is its just for brief bursts. Any ideas? Now it just hangs.

The BD-A I made works (only came out as 48kHz DTS), but I'd like a back-up as a FLAC.

I downloaded DVA Extractor and I'm having problems with it, I wonder if its a Windows 10 issue? It has "sort of worked" twice, taking the DTS and converting to FLAC, but it left out the centre channel both times, there doesn't seem to be anything there or if it is its just for brief bursts. Any ideas? Now it just hangs.

The BD-A I made works (only came out as 48kHz DTS), but I'd like a back-up as a FLAC.
Hi Duncan, DVDAE cannot convert the full DTS MA to FLAC, only the core part. This explains why you have only 48kHz files.

Better option is to direct demux the files. This gives you the full DTS MA files. After that you can use Audiomuxer to convert to FLAC. Perhaps this solves the missing centre channel as well, assuming htere should be anything in the centre channel.

Back