Pink Floyd In Concert

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've no idea how much PF would charge for a concert these days but no way would I pay up as ticket prices for behemoths like PF are astro-dominical!

Its still expensive and getting more so my daughter bought both tickets to Aerosmith about 5 years ago 130 apiece. but they were second row seats so it was good.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1535995575891 aero_Fotor.jpg
    FB_IMG_1535995575891 aero_Fotor.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
This day in ANIMALS history the US leg of the In The Flesh Tour started. I saw this show for 10 bucks!
:yikes:

It was my very first concert. I saw the show again at Madison Sq Garden a few months later.

Oakland May 9 for me. Which makes your work on the tape of that show even more personally special and appreciated.

Oakland May 9 for me. Which makes your work on the tape of that show even more personally special and appreciated.

That’s the show I went to with my friend Rick, as we drove from the Concord area to Oakland in his 1968 GTO. We went to Monday’s show.

Tickets were relatively easy to get, if you got to Pacific Stereo fairly quick enough, to get your tickets printed out from computer back then.

I saw them on that tour at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Portland,Oregon May 12, 1977 I will never forget the giant inflated pig with blinking eyes above the crowd and it was in quad.

Unfortunately, one of the few shows from that tour in which a recording has not yet turned up. No known photos from that show either. Only piece of memorabilia I could find from that show was an unused ticket stub, that's it.

Unfortunately, one of the few shows from that tour in which a recording has not yet turned up. No known photos from that show either. Only piece of memorabilia I could find from that show was an unused ticket stub, that's it.
You right and it was great show I can't even find a poster advertising it,I should ask Quadwreck if he ever saw one come into his shop in Portland Iv'e been going in there for years and have never seen one.I think I found a set list online but that's all.

That’s the show I went to with my friend Rick, as we drove from the Concord area to Oakland in his 1968 GTO. We went to Monday’s show.

Tickets were relatively easy to get, if you got to Pacific Stereo fairly quick enough, to get your tickets printed out from computer back then.

Oh man, I'd completely forgotten about Pacific Stereo as a ticket seller!

You right and it was great show I can't even find a poster advertising it,I should ask Quadwreck if he ever saw one come into his shop in Portland Iv'e been going in there for years and have never seen one.I think I found a set list online but that's all.
I'm not sure if I ever saw the poster for that show, I know I've seen a poster or two for a PF show that mentioned quadraphonic sound. Probably a Pink Floyd forum or Facebook group would know whan all the shows happened.

I saw the Tampa show! I think it was the next stop after Miami.

I loved standing up front watching and waiting wondering how Dave can pull off the intro to “Have a Cigar” on a Strat and will it work?

And those animated films - seeing them for the first time was absolutely mind blowing. It’s a wonder they’ve not won any awards for groundbreaking animation? Maybe they have never been entered in festivals. But the clocks, the rat running down the rails and the others, so great! Classic stuff which I’m glad got included in the WYWH Immersion set.

I saw the Tampa show! I think it was the next stop after Miami.

I loved standing up front watching and waiting wondering how Dave can pull off the intro to “Have a Cigar” on a Strat and will it work?

And those animated films - seeing them for the first time was absolutely mind blowing. It’s a wonder they’ve not won any awards for groundbreaking animation? Maybe they have never been entered in festivals. But the clocks, the rat running down the rails and the others, so great! Classic stuff which I’m glad got included in the WYWH Immersion set.
Those films were meant for live performances and aren't the kind that festivals screen. And back in the 70s there were very few film festivals, nothing like there are today.

This day in ANIMALS history the US leg of the In The Flesh Tour started. I saw this show for 10 bucks!
:yikes:

Somewhere around '72 ticket prices started to escalate & when they hit the $5 point I was wondering if I would be able to afford going to concerts anymore.

Based on $USD:

$5 in 1972 would equate to $30.09 today. Minimum wage in 1972 was $1.60 or $10.00 an hour today. It would take just under 19 hours of work for that ticket.
$10 in 1977 would equate to $42.60 today. Minimum wage in 1977 was $2.30 or $10.16 an hour today. It would take 18.5 hours of work for that ticket.

Average concert cost in 2015 was $78.00. Average min. wage was about $7.74 (Federal Min Wage was set at $7.25). It would take 10 hours work for the ticket.
Average concert cost in 2019 was $96.17. Average min. wage was about $8.82 (Federal Min Wage is still set at $7.25). It would take about 11 hours work for the ticket.

Looking at it like this, tickets were always an expensive but an average ticket takes less time to afford these days (if that is the only thing you need to spend your money on).

On a side note - the US has an issue with setting a livable wage minimum.

* Sources
- US Department of Labor Statistics for the wages
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) data for computing inflation
- Pollstar Industry Source for the '15 & '19 concert averages

Those films were meant for live performances and aren't the kind that festivals screen. And back in the 70s there were very few film festivals, nothing like there are today.
Well there were some festivals. And those shorts are exactly what they screen in the right festival actually. But the Floyd liked keeping them unseen and obscured to protect the mystique. Just like the band giving few if any interviews and being very vague and invisible. It's part of the mystery they created. And it attracted fans by the droves. The whole package, music, lights, films, and no explanation about much of anything. Perfect marketing.

Based on $USD:

$5 in 1972 would equate to $30.09 today. Minimum wage in 1972 was $1.60 or $10.00 an hour today. It would take just under 19 hours of work for that ticket.
$10 in 1977 would equate to $42.60 today. Minimum wage in 1977 was $2.30 or $10.16 an hour today. It would take 18.5 hours of work for that ticket.

Average concert cost in 2015 was $78.00. Average min. wage was about $7.74 (Federal Min Wage was set at $7.25). It would take 10 hours work for the ticket.
Average concert cost in 2019 was $96.17. Average min. wage was about $8.82 (Federal Min Wage is still set at $7.25). It would take about 11 hours work for the ticket.

Looking at it like this, tickets were always an expensive but an average ticket takes less time to afford these days (if that is the only thing you need to spend your money on).

* Sources
Wow great stats & analysis Mr Splinter! Keep in mind that attending a concert in those ancient days always included a date it cost me a whopping $10 (tho the payback was usually quite profitable).
When my daughter takes my G'Kids to see someone like Taylor Swift the usual cost is closer to $100 each.

Based on $USD:

* Sources
Ha, I thought about those comparisons, but you actually did the work @splinter7 -great job there 👍👏

Some fine memories.
Not to be a downer but I guess we also have our share of concert going mishaps. The one & only time I've seen PF was the Division Bell tour here at Arrowhead Stadium in '94. A friend drove to the show as I bought his ticket. The traffic on I 70 was bumper to bumper stop & go. Mainly stop. Sit for several minutes & proceed a car length. Somehow a dog had got on the high way & was badly injured trapped by concrete barriers careening from side to side. I would have gladly passed up the concert to help the poor animal but there was simply no way to get off the high way. Still haunts me. And we were late to the show got in about half way through. What we did see was good & yes it was presented in surround, which was amazing in a venue that large.

Interesting side note: my parents were having Sunday brunch the next day at a swanky lux hotel restaurant. When they were leaving my mom saw what I guess was an entourage coming through the lobby. All she knew was whoever was in front of the group was important. She simply went up to him & asked for his autograph. That's how I got David Gilmore's signature on the back of a bank deposit slip!

I went shopping in Cambridge UK once and I noticed on the top floor of the shopping centre there was an exhibition of some of the originals of Pink Floyd artwork from all eras of the band. I spent hours pouring over them.

Based on $USD:

* Sources
Your math is interesting, but perplexing. I see you placing the average cost for a 2019 ticket at $96.17. I am not sure how that number is derived, but most of the acts I want to see are topping out at $400. A factor in this is that in the late 1970s when I started seeing arena concerts, the front rows were priced identically to the back rows. Now the difference seems to be a factor of four or greater. And business wise this actually makes sense. Especially since the "scalping industry" was harvesting handsome profits off of the concert industry, and the artists and promoters got zero of those profits.

Anyway, my main point is that back in the day I saw MANY a show in the front of the venue because I and/or my friends were willing to get to a ticket outlet early in the morning to be first in line when the tix went on sale. In other words, if you were a big enough fan you could make it happen with little extra expense. Now the front rows are either skimmed for "cream of the crop" dollars, are fire sale day of the show prices, or are empty seats.

In fact, I recently read some concert industry talk where the going idea is "if it sells out at all, we priced it too cheaply." In other words, you earn more by overpricing each seat and leaving some empty than by selling all the seats at a lower (more affordable) prices.

Short take: it is not about the fans, it is about the business. My cynical side says this is an inevitable outcome. Especially considering that recorded music is (for better or worse) nearly free to the average internet user (I know that many here at QQ, myself included, still spend boatloads of money on official product!), so that the live concert event is really all that there is left to sell.

How long does it take to get into the front rows of a show on a minimum wage in 2020? The proportion is more like health care than a loaf of bread.

And, to bring it back to the header topic, it was The Eagles, and then Pink Floyd, who started the trend of the high dollar ticket price, back in 1994.

Back