Pink Floyd PULSE Blu-Ray out in February

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be good for more like 6 years I'd have thought, but if you want to change it that often go for it. If you put a Lithium battery in (I forget if the CD box takes AA or AAA but both are available in Lithium) it'll last decades.
If none of the above leak.
That's a BIG if.

It looks like the content is no different than the one in The Later Years box set. Is that right?

As far as I can see, the only difference is that the AUDIO-ONLY LIVE RECORDINGS (ONE OF THESE DAYS LIVE IN HANOVER 1994 & ASTRONOMY DOMINE LIVE IN MIAMI 1994) in the Later Years Box are in CD format (44.1/16) and in this release are in their uncompressed version in both Blu-ray and DVD (96/24). Besides the art and pulse little light of course ;)

If you would like to experience a preview of what you might see on the BluRay before mortgaging your house, the 2019 HD version of ’Pulse’ is available for rent ($3.99 plus tax) or purchase ($15.99 plus tax) on the same Apple TV4K you are listening to Dolby Atmos and Dolby Audio selections on. The surround mix is only in Dolby Digital 5.1, but to my ears it’s far more adventurous than the DVD version of 2006. The video is upscaled and still 4:3, but it’s watchable even if you want to scale it for widescreen and it is ‘Pink Floyd’ from the dim dark past. it’s still a great concert and has the complete ‘The Dark Side Of The Moon’ in its totality.

On a side note, one thing missing from the new release compared to the old it the Learning To Fly video with a surround sound track. Actually, it goes from stereo to surround about halfway in the video. It's also not on the new release of A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (it's in stereo only).

Watching this tonight and it sounds great but some of the video syncing is awful.
On Another Brick in the Wall, I’ve spotted 3 bad video sync moments already:
-
- Nick not playing during first drum fill shown but is playing it when cut to wide shot
- Last line of first chorus, Dave had stepped back and isn’t singing but his vocal is there
- Bad sync on Dave during Tim Renwick’s solo

I completely know that these things are edited and fixed etc but you’d assume someone checks this sort of thing. I wasn’t even looking for it!

I saw some bad sync on Nick playing drums, his sticks were about half a second out of sync with the sound he was producing. I also was not looking for this.

The sound is truly excellent. And the video quality is surprisingly good, it's more the fact it's in 4:3 that gives away it is SD sourced than the actual picture and it wasn't long before I was completely comfortable with the picture. The room was dark enough the unused parts of the TV screen just merged into the background.

The thing I most like about this is how much the group clearly loved being there. They're smiling at each other all over the place.

The pulsing LED insert slides out so easily in this release and the rest of the case is so tight, the only way to get anything out is to slide everything out and then put the LED insert back in and the book back in (looked at it once, never likely to look at it again) and play the discs. Couldn't they have made things fit a little looser?

Also the box is a completely non standard size, being deeper due to the LED insert having 2xAA batteries (already removed and in something else) and the height of a DVD box despite having Blu Rays in it. It doesn't fit on any of my music storage shelves. Plus having artwork in paper on the outside it's going to wear, my original Pulse CDs box is quite worn at the corners. CD and DVD cases from the 90s by contrast are in almost perfect condition. Why can't this come in a standard 2 disc Blu Ray case?

The room was dark enough the unused parts of the TV screen just merged into the background.
I've never understood those who complain about "unused screen" or "bezels." Just give me the media in the correct aspect ratio in the best possible picture quality. If that means not using the whole screen and the screen needing bezels, who cares?

I've never understood those who complain about "unused screen" or "bezels." Just give me the media in the correct aspect ratio in the best possible picture quality. If that means not using the whole screen and the screen needing bezels, who cares?
I agree completely, and Pink Floyd have done precisely that. The bit rate on this disc is frequently above 30mbits, I suspect we are getting everything that could possibly be extracted from the original SD video.

In the UK we don't call them "bezels". 16:9 shown on a 4:3 screen or cinemascope 2.35:1 shown on a widescreen TV are called letterboxed, and 4:3 shown as in this case on a widescreen TV are called pillarboxed. I suspect those names don't work in the US since you don't have rectangular letterboxes on your houses nor do you post letters in pillarboxes.

I agree completely, and Pink Floyd have done precisely that. The bit rate on this disc is frequently above 30mbits, I suspect we are getting everything that could possibly be extracted from the original SD video.

In the UK we don't call them "bezels". 16:9 shown on a 4:3 screen or cinemascope 2.35:1 shown on a widescreen TV are called letterboxed, and 4:3 shown as in this case on a widescreen TV are called pillarboxed. I suspect those names don't work in the US since you don't have rectangular letterboxes on your houses nor do you post letters in pillarboxes.
I call them what you call them.

If it bothers folks, the TV has a ZOOM button. LOL

Hmm. Not good for Australians who ordered from JB Hi Fi. This mysterious email arrived Friday and I can no longer see the listings on their website---

---
Important Update On Your Order
Order #JB-XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Thanks for ordering PINK FLOYD - P.U.L.S.E RE-STORED & RE-ED BLURAY through JB Hi-Fi Online.

This is a courtesy email to advise you that due to a shipping error, your order has been delayed. However, please know that we will ensure that it is processed as soon as possible.

We understand that this is frustrating and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

The JB Support Team

Hmm. Not good for Australians who ordered from JB Hi Fi. This mysterious email arrived Friday and I can no longer see the listings on their website---

---
Important Update On Your Order
Order #JB-XXXXXXX

Hi XXXXXXXX,

Thanks for ordering PINK FLOYD - P.U.L.S.E RE-STORED & RE-ED BLURAY through JB Hi-Fi Online.

This is a courtesy email to advise you that due to a shipping error, your order has been delayed. However, please know that we will ensure that it is processed as soon as possible.

We understand that this is frustrating and sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused by the delay.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

The JB Support Team
I saw it in-store last Saturday at $89.

That was a separate argument. "Bezels" refer to edges of the television/monitor/device itself that extend beyond the screen display area. Some people can't stand them, and I just don't get it, likewise the obsession with thinness at the expense of performance, battery life, etc.

We definitely use "letterbox" in the U.S. "Pillarbox" is less common. Some houses do have letterboxes, or mail slots in the front doors. I have a letterbox to the side of my front door, rather than the more common "mailbox" at the roadside as seen in film and television. (I grew up with a mailbox.)

That was a separate argument. "Bezels" refer to edges of the television/monitor/device itself that extend beyond the screen display area. Some people can't stand them, and I just don't get it, likewise the obsession with thinness at the expense of performance, battery life, etc.

We definitely use "letterbox" in the U.S. "Pillarbox" is less common. Some houses do have letterboxes, or mail slots in the front doors. I have a letterbox to the side of my front door, rather than the more common "mailbox" at the roadside as seen in film and television. (I grew up with a mailbox.)

Thanks for the explanation. As for bezels, all TVs and computer monitors have them. No display tech (apart from projectors) has pixels right to the very edge, there is always some casework.

Back